All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie question re:eating out
      #284445 - 09/29/06 07:45 AM
bookyone

Reged: 09/29/06

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with IBS-C and given Zelnorm by my doctor. I also have BED, which I'm sure has exacerbated my IBS symptoms terribly. While the Zelnorm seems to help, I am looking for dietary solutions as well. I prefer to eat veggies (I'm primarily a vegetarian) but after reading about insoluble fiber I wonder if large quantities of my favorite veggies (broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, corn and lettuce) have been doing me more harm than good lately.

I was reading through the recipes on this site and while most of these sound delicious, I work two full time jobs and have no time to cook. Is there any fast food/take-out that is healthy for IBS eating on a regular basis? I eat most of my meals (purchased from various fast food restaurants) in my car between jobs, due to time constraints, although I do microwave a lot of veggies on the weekends. I mostly stick to salads and fruit, and no, I don't have a weight problem, but I do have a lot of problems with constipation despite my veggie rich diet.

Thanks in advance for any info. and best wishes from bookyone

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie question re:eating out new
      #284463 - 09/29/06 09:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Your safest options for fast food are Subway (veggie sub, NO mayo, mustard is ok) or a plain baked potato from Wendy's (NO sour cream, butter, or cheese). Salads might be a good option for you, but with the caveat that you will have to start carrying your own safe rolls with you - none of these fast-food joints that offer salads have safe options for bread, and you will need some bread before a salad.

Restaurants might offer some more options, but it depends on how willing to stray beyond vegetarianism you are. Unfortunately, most restaurant vegetarian options are either deep-fried or smothered in cheese, neither of which are safe for people with IBS. Your best restaurant options are grilled chicken or fish, steamed veggies, and baked potatoes. You might also be able to handle pasta with tomato sauce - no cheese - depending on how you do with tomatoes.

Do keep reading the diet guidelines on the site - your broccoli, cauliflower, etc are definitely not off-limits, they just have to be eaten safely, with a base of soluble fiber to cushion the blow.

#284464 - 09/29/06 09:10 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not sure what "BED" is, so I can't really take that into account.

It's probably not so much that your favorite veggies are doing harm as it is that they're doing harm if they're not preceded by some Soluble Fiber. IBS-Cers needs the Insoluble Fiber from fruits and veggies, they just need to eat it carefully. So try starting your meals with some SF foods and you might do better cooking, chopping, and pureeing your beloved veggies at first.

As for fast food places, try doing a Search on Subway on the Diet Board with no time limit. I'm pretty sure people have found some safe stuff there. If there are other fast food places you like, you can try searching on those specific restaurant names - you might find some suggestions for them, too. In general, though, fast food places are a real problem because they're either heavy on dairy/fat/red meat or, if they're offering a "healthy" menu, it tends to be straight IF.

You can take a look at these two old posts and see if they offer any ideas:

Post 1

Post 2

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284472 - 09/29/06 09:35 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey bookyone!

Restaurant veggie dishes can be totally safe, depending on how they're prepared...just don't be afraid to ask about how a dish is prepared (i.e, is there dairy in the sauce, is it spicy, etc.) Some of the easiest places to find good, safe veggie options are Asian restaurants, like Chinese, sushi, or Thai. Pasta is also a good bet, as long as you order a simple dish with no cheese or cream sauce...plus, they usually have a bread basket out for you as soon as you sit down, which provides a perfect SF cushion.

The only "fast food" I ever really get is Mexican, and I've found lots of safe choices at burrito places and taquerias, even when I was vegan...I used to get veggie burritos or tacos (with no cheese or sour cream) or just a side order of beans and rice.

As for meals you prepare at home, the salads and raw fruits can cause a lot of problems, but all your favorite veggies should be fine, as long as you cook them really thoroughly. (I love mushy broccoli, but if it's at all undercooked, I'm in trouble!) Steam up some rice, couscous, pasta, or other SF starch to go with it, and maybe add a bit of tofu or lentils for some protein, and you've got a full meal.

As you experiment with the diet, you'll find out more about what works for you...

Just a few suggestions from a former veggie, and fellow IBSer. Good luck!

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 561

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review