All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused
      #284444 - 09/29/06 07:33 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I'm obsessing and confused. Help.

HOW MUCH soluble before insoluble fiber? I'll eat some rice, and then some peas and then lettuce...and I'll think - oh no, too much lettuce, better eat more rice - then I think gosh, so much rice will be constipating...better have more peas...oops too much, then eat more rice, oops too much maybe - eat more lettuce?...what an awful way not to enjoy eating. HELP.

Eggs. Can't even do hard boiled for breakfast - but later on in the day - no problem...??? I'm only eating basmati rice (low glycemic LOAD) because I'm off wheat products, potatoes are high oxalate as are most whole grains, nuts and berries...rice cereal is high glycemic all around / so I'm stuck eating Basmati Rice for breakfast - but what with it? Veggies are too hard to digest for breakfast for me...fruit is OUT...nuts/seeds - we already discussed those (dairy is no no for me)...sugar? I don't "do" sugar...so what to have with the rice? I know people in Asia eat rice with every meal - so I don't feel too wierd eating it...but what with? Raisins/dates - high in oxalate. I'm so STUCK. Remember no dairy...

I hate my diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused new
      #284458 - 09/29/06 09:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

How much soluble before insoluble is the sort of thing you're just going to have to experiment with, to see what works for YOU. Everyone's different in that regard. I can get away with eating very little soluble - like, a couple crackers - whereas others need a LOT. Try a serving of rice, which is 1/2 cup, and don't eat more when you panic about how much lettuce you ate... and see how you do. Unfortunately, experimenting does mean that you might not feel fantastic afterwards, but it's an essential part of finding the balance of SF/IF that works for you.

As for the rice... something I used to do when I was especially unstable, but that is actually really tasty, is to reheat some rice in rice or soy milk, and then season to taste with sugar and spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, or blends like pumpkin pie spice (my favorite). I know you say you don't do sugar, but it really takes very little, and it gives the flavor a big boost. The whole things takes about 5 minutes, and what you end up, essentially, is a quickie rice pudding. It makes a *delicious* breakfast as is, and if you find yourself able to tolerate some SF fruits, such as mango, banana, or applesauce/cooked apple, those make good additions.

As far as the eggs go, that's normal - some of us, lucky us, are a little more sensitive in the morning, so things that are ok other times might not be good in the morning. Have you tried egg beaters, or just eating the egg whites? It's possible that the yolks are too much fat for you that early on.

#284459 - 09/29/06 09:00 AM
cattail

Reged: 09/19/06

Sweetpea, have you thought about sitting down with a dietitian to work out a meal plan for you? I know it costs money, but it sounds like it might be worth it in your case. I know it is frustrating to have all these "don'ts"... hang in there!

Breakfast Food new
      #284468 - 09/29/06 09:19 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would recommend having some naturally-raised chicken breast with the rice for breakfast. You will have to buy and cook the chicken in advance though ... don't buy anything store made. The chicken will provide you with some much-needed protein to start your day. Don't attempt turkey or fish first thing. They'll be too heavy on your tummy.

You could also try a little Beech Nut brand babyfood. You may find you can tolerate some of the Beech Nut fruit sauces, but make sure you eat it with soluble fibre. Just use a little of the sauce (I love the Dutch apple one). Babyfood is ideal because it is cooked and pureed, so it is in one of the safest IBS forms.

The other thing you could try is baking the cooked rice with six organic egg whites and a little water for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. (You could throw in some of the cooked chicken too.) Try also using some organic Earth Balance buttery spread (100 per cent vegan with no additives). You should be able to purchase it at a healthfood store like Wholefoods. If the Earth Balance works for you, you can grease the baking dish with it or put it into the rice for more flavour.

Those are my suggestions, the first one though is my best recommendation. I was forced to eat nothing but white rice and chicken breast for breakfast when I went on a cruise a few years ago. I couldn't eat anything else for breakfast ... the bread contained milk products, the cereal is out for me and I can't have bacon, or eggs with the yolk. So I can definitely identify with your situation.

#284478 - 09/29/06 09:47 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I agree with the nutritionist. I see one it is very helpful. Also maybe go on a celic site for some food ideas. Can you eat oats at all?

#284828 - 10/01/06 09:57 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I don't know if you can have it or not, but I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. My tummy is more sensitive first thing in the morning, too, and this really helps me.

You might also try an egg-white omelet. I use the Egg Beaters (actually, I get the less expensive generic version). My favorite way to fix them is to saute a little zucchini in a small amount of olive oil with just a little minced garlic for flavor. Then I make an omelet with my Egg Beaters and zucchini and a little salt. You could try other safe foods in there, too. This is delicious with some dry toast, but could eat with rice instead. I actually made that for dinner tonight with some safe mashed potatoes. Delicious!

I haven't eaten them yet, and don't know if they are wheat-free or not, but you could also try Morningstar Farms breakfast patties along with your rice. They are supposed to be safe for IBSers.

Good luck! And before you pay a dietitian, be sure that they know the safe IBS diet, as well as any other requirements you may have. That was something my Dr. warned me about when I was thinking of seeing one. He said it's very hard to find one who really knows the way an IBSer has to eat, so ask lots of questions before you pay.

Good luck!

#288378 - 10/29/06 07:09 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...in the past few weeks I gave up eggs - but my skin has not forgiven me...so I'm going to put hard boiled eggs (1 a day) back into my diet...but NOT for breakfast...breakfast has turned out to be - you'll never believe this - but rice, broccoli (very well steamed) and fish oil (capsules). Fish oil is not saturated (safe) and not a seed oil (these can suppress the thyroid - which I believe is happening/bad skin for me). I've tried olive oil...clearly safe for ibs - but again, can have estrogenic effects (unwanted!). So...the plan is fish oil with breakfast and dinner and ONE hard boiled egg with my lunch. I'm up to 4 teaspoons of Acacia a day now and really pushing white rice like you wouldn't believe...added green peas and romaine lettuce (carefully) for IF ...I'm working so hard at figuring out something that works for the IBS and the skin...2 very important things for me...Oatmeal? Nope - just never worked for me in the am...I posted just today about my "fat confusion" lately...I AM keeping it to 20-25% of my diet - in fact I worry alot about getting enough fat...but running out of options. I have spoken to a well known dietitian who recommended the fish oil - but not much else as a change in my diet (I have other restrictions)...and I finally took her up on that suggestion. Thanks again for your help, I didn't see your responses until today.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review