All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ibs and gastritis
      #284345 - 09/28/06 12:06 PM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

K, I need advice! I was diagnosed after excrutiating pain with gastritis. I have IBS, after a c-section I've had Ibs-d/c....
My gut has not been the same since surgery and that was 20 months ago. I am unable to ahev intercourse with dh because it hurts and apparently its my bowels that are sensitive.
Anyway, I had real bad pain in th eupper gi area and apparently its gastritis, so I was put on fibre and pariet. My doctor today bumped up pariet to double dosage because I still have tummy pain and reflux.
My ultrasound on my gi was ok everything looks good.

Any advice on how to help my tummy feel better? anyone suffer with gastritis an have helpful tips?

Thanks
Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ibs and gastritis new
      #284371 - 09/28/06 01:27 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yep, gastritis hurts like heck! It can take a long time to heal. The pariet, as with any reflux med, can make your D worse. You can try to compensate that by taking an anti spasm medication like donnatol or levsin. I'm currently on aciphex and prescription zantac and lots of rolaids for my gastritis. I have even thrown up blood before from the bleeding and irritation it can cause.

Eat small, bland meals frequently. Eating too much or letting your tummy get too empty can both cause problems. I use the heating pad every night and wear lose clothing and no bra as the pressure it just too much.

My sex life, or lack there of, is also affected. Not wanting to turn this into a sex thread but having relations with your partner behind you is often less upsetting to your tummy.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#284385 - 09/28/06 03:30 PM
Bourget

I hear ya!
I find it hard to eat though, I am so full. This morning I burped and it tasted like bile it was soooo gross!
I had 1 waffles this morning and a half a sandwich for lunch, the other half for dinner, I am so not able to eat....
I was on a fluid diet while it was excruciating, then was able to eat normal foods, I'm thinking about going back on the fluid diet....I've lost 10 pounds already......

Jennifer

#284417 - 09/28/06 08:43 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

get yourself some l-glutamine, it heals the gut and will help very much with the gastritis, take 3500mg spaced out during the day.

#284469 - 09/29/06 09:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had that same too full feeling all the time as well. I ended up drinking boost with benefiber. It does have some dairy protein in it so its probably not technically ibs safe but it worked well for me. I drank boost and ate toast and chicken noodle soup for like 4 weeks straight. I lost about 25 pounds total. I'm on a mega high dose of steroids right now so the weight is coming back which I'm not happy about but I've not much choice at the moment!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#284480 - 09/29/06 09:56 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I was diagnosed with gastritis 2.5 years ago after having the symptoms for just over a year. I was put on a 10 week course of treatment of Nexium to try to repair some of the damage. I also changed a few eating habits and stopped taking ibuprofen & aspirin. All of that helped but I know it led to my IBS which came a few months later.

I am not familiar with Pariet- is it similar to Nexium (an acid reducer)? The only recommendations I can give are to stay on an acid reducer of sorts until the inflammation is gone and then adjust your diet to eliminate the gastritis triggers.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#284483 - 09/29/06 10:04 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I have gastritis and esophagistis in addition to IBS, but I'm not sure how helpful I'll be, since I'm still struggling to find out what works for me...it seems we're very much in the same boat. I have been trying very hard to gain back some of the weight I've lost over the past couple of years, but it's been so hard to eat anything with the "full" feeling that gastritis creates...

Today I'm going to try to make a smoothie, and I'll let you know how that goes.

My G.I. perscribed me omeprazole, but it hasn't seemed to help much. The one thing that I did notice which helped the gastritis was cutting out the alcohol...turns out that evening glass of wine I was having was making my symptoms a hell of a lot worse, even though it was sort of a delayed reaction.

Keep me posted on what you're doing, and how it's working for you...I would love to share any suggestions and/or experiences with you!

Take care,

--------------------
Julia

#284486 - 09/29/06 10:31 AM
melindapatrice

Reged: 09/23/06

what is glutamine? Is it a pill or liquid?

#284492 - 09/29/06 11:16 AM
Bourget

my doctor said it will be gone in 3 months! I've had reflux (gerds) for a few years now though...
Pariet is just like Nexium, just stronger.
Once the acid comes up though, its hard to swallow sometimes, feels like something is stuck in my throat...
I think I will go back to the liquid diet for now until things settle down, I'm sure even though I am not eating dumb, sice the gastritis hasn't settled, it'd be wise of me to do the liquid again. Then slowly return to regular foods.

Wow, sounds like gastritis is a symptom of IBS, I never knew this....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review