All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fecal Fat Test-Can I Get Through It?
      #284221 - 09/27/06 07:19 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Not exacty a diet related question-but close. As some of you may know, I've been showing some improvement on this diet but not enough. I'm also currently increasing my fiber supplement, but it's too soon to know the results. Long story short-I went to the GI today. He's having a concern due to the fact that I've lost 15 lbs over the last two months. My upper GI test was negative. Next thing he wants me to do is something called a "fecal fat test". This tests for "steatorrhea" or excess fat in stool. Best as I can find out, the underlying problem could be malabsorption. Now, here's the problem. This test requires 3 days on a HIGH fat diet. I'm talking 99-100 grams of fat PER DAY! OUCH! Now, how in the world would I get through this without being sick the entire time?? I won't go into details, but part of what you have to drink is 2 cups WHOLE milk. OMG! Anyone else had to do this who has any advice/suggestions? I swear-I've never been so scared! TIA.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fecal Fat Test-Can I Get Through It? new
      #284247 - 09/28/06 07:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Now, here's the problem. This test requires 3 days on a HIGH fat diet. I'm talking 99-100 grams of fat PER DAY! OUCH! Now, how in the world would I get through this without being sick the entire time??

I'm not sure you can get through this without being sick the entire time - I couldn't. You could try eating nothing but Soluble Fiber in addition to the fat - that might help a little assuming it wouldn't make the test results invalid.

I'd treat this like the flu and - if you work outside the home - be out sick the three days of the test and assume it would take me three days on the Break The Cycle Diet afterwards - with lots of hot peppermint tea and/or anti-spasmodics - to get my tummy calmed down again. If you're D, I'd also be sure to stock up on some Imodium for the days after the test is over.

Also, I did a quick Google search on this and although there wasn't a lot of information, one source said the test required 3 days of high fat before the test and then 3 more days of high fat during the collection period. (web page) Internet information isn't always the best, but you might want to double-check with your doctor about this.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this - it sounds miserable - but if it detects a problem you need to deal with, it will be worth it in the long run. And you may turn out not to have IBS after all, but something easily fixable.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284254 - 09/28/06 07:50 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi!

I'm not sure if there are more reasons for an increased fecal fat content than bile salt malabsorption. If there are then maybe you need to do the test. If it's just a question of bile salt malabsorption you could ask for a gamma camera check of that instead. Then you don't have to follow any particular diet during the test time. The only thing is that you're not allowed to take any medication either, like Imodium for example. The rest is simple. You go to the hospital and swallow a gamma radiating pill containing a substance that follows the bile salt in the body and then you wait for 3 hours and then you just lie still while the gamma camera measures the amount of radiation from your body. Then you go home and repeat the gamma measuring after a week to see how much of the radiating substance is still present and how much has left your body with BM. Simple and it won't hurt a bit and the only downside is that you're not allowed to take drugs that affect the bowels during the test week.

Good luck!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#284407 - 09/28/06 07:13 PM
Ericasmom

I greatly appreciate your feedback. However, no offense, but before I take this info to my Dr., could you please tell me where you have obtained the information? Are you a medical professional, or is it just your own personal experience or study? Thanks so much. Amy

--------------------

Re: P.S. new
      #284408 - 09/28/06 07:17 PM
Ericasmom

Also, can you give me some sort of layman's definition of "bile salt malabsorption"? and what it's symptoms are? Everything I am finding on the Google search is WAY too technical for me!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review