All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with antibiotics
      #284206 - 09/27/06 03:32 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I've been taking antibiotics since Monday morning, and I have a two week course to get through. Ugh. It's for a cat bite I got over the weekend, for those of you who didn't see my post about it earlier. At first, I wasn't minding the D so much (it was a nice change from constant C!), but now I'm really tired of it and I'm VERY uncomfortable (the toilet paper at work isn't NEARLY as nice as what I have at home)! I'm also feeling generally icky and rumbly. I am eating soy yogurt every morning, but I'm still at a pretty low acacia dose, so that probably isn't helping me much. Should I just not worry so much about the IF for awhile, and increase my SF? Any other suggestions? I've tried probiotics in the past and they've never done anything for me. Even before starting the antibiotics, I was nowhere near stable yet, but now I feel like I'm taking a HUGE step backwards. Sigh.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with antibiotics new
      #284216 - 09/27/06 06:51 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

probiotics in a big way, go get some strong ones, if you can afford it get the Natren smart stat pack and do it for the month.

HELP ASAP - anyone heard of Bio K???? new
      #284386 - 09/28/06 03:47 PM
Lisa Marie

And Miso, what can you tell me about Natren?

I just went to Wild Oats, and the (quite knowledgeable) woman in the supplements department suggested taking BioK for two days. I guess it's a yogurt-like substance that is supposed to quickly replenish your system. Then, she said to switch to a prebiotic called Natural Factor. Has anyone ever heard of either of these? I explained that I have IBS and a very sensitive gut, but I'm not always sure if people really understand what this means. "A little" bloating and gas to them often translates to "extremely painful" bloating and gas for me!!

I need to do something about this NOW (antibiotics causing bad diarrhea) so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! (UGH - time to go to the bathroom AGAIN!!!)

Thanks, guys!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#284394 - 09/28/06 05:21 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm staking Cefzil, an antibiotic for a sinus infection and it hasn't been bothering me too much, but I have had a little d and the pharmacist sold me a probiotic called "Culturelle." The recommendations say one per day for maintainence or two per day if you're on antibiotics...then follow with two per day after you stop antibiotics. I know all the probiotic amounts differ, but generally speaking, for IBS sufferers, should we follow the regular recommendations or always increase our amount due to our intestinal difficulties? (For example, take two per day for maintainence and maybe 3 per day when on antibiotics) Just a general question and looking for insight as to what everyone out there does. I was taking Acidophilis but not any more than recommended...maybe I should have been taking more??

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Lisa Marie...what antibiotic are you taking? new
      #284395 - 09/28/06 05:26 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Many antibiotics cause d but I have found through trial and error through the years that some are at least a little better on my stomach than others. Amoxicillin and Cefzil seem to be okay (check their generic names) but you might be different. I was once on like 5 different kinds of antib. after an infection post pardum with my daughter...UGH>>>the worst!!! So sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm not sure about the probiotics...I posted a question too, but I would suggest calling your physician and asking (or at least for next time) if you can try a different brand of antib. that might suit you better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Lisa Marie...what antibiotic are you taking? new
      #284396 - 09/28/06 05:35 PM
Lisa Marie

Unfortunately, I was limited in what I could take because there's really only ONE antibiotic that's really good for eliminating the bacteria resulting from a cat bite. It's called "augmentin" and I think it contains amoxicillin. My doctor felt really bad having to prescribe it because she knew it would probably cause me problems, but the other choices aren't nearly as effective in treating the infection. Ugh! This sucks!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: HELP ASAP - anyone heard of Bio K???? new
      #284403 - 09/28/06 06:01 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

BioK is fantastic, get the non dairy one only though, also 2 days isn't enough, do at least a week and go slow you have to do 1/4 of a container, then up it, etc, the chart they have should explain it.

#284405 - 09/28/06 06:08 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Oh you poor thing! I hate augmentin! I won't take it, it makes me so sick. I told my Dr that the first time I saw him, made sure he put it in my file! The only thing I've found that's worse is the Z-max suspension. It gave me the worst D I think I've ever had. I'm so sorry that you have to have that stuff. I don't much about the probiotics, I use the acacia now. But I would go w/what Miso says. She's smart!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#284414 - 09/28/06 08:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Quote:

I don't much about the probiotics, I use the acacia now.

Incase you misread the information about acacia (like I did at the beginning) it is a PREbiotic, not a PRObiotic. The prebitoic helps feed the good bacteria.

#284436 - 09/29/06 06:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Be careful with Culturelle. It does contain a small amount of dairy proteins:

web page

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review