All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
multivitamins
      #284125 - 09/27/06 07:47 AM
Loriann

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: coastal southern California

I haven't posted for a while because I've been doing pretty well. Between the diet and the hypnosis CD's, I only have stomach attacks once every month or two. Yeah! But I have a question. My stomach has never appreciated taking vitamins, but as I get older I really would like to be taking them. Does anyone take any multivitamin that claims it is easy on your stomach and actually is!?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: multivitamins new
      #284218 - 09/27/06 07:02 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the only multi i have found that doesn't make me feel sick is New Chapter's Only One, the rest of theirs have herbs which could irritate your tummy, but the Only One is herb free, it is a whole food multi and so it goes down and absorbs much better than others.

#284222 - 09/27/06 07:32 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I will ditto that. Amazingly the only vitamin I have ever taken that didn't make me nauseated or burpy.

#284226 - 09/27/06 08:15 PM
Miso

how did you discover them, i did a 30 company trial and error which cost me a lot over the years

#284227 - 09/27/06 09:25 PM
chupie

Somebody gave me a pointer to your post! I appreciate your trial and error on my behalf Honestly, I didn't really think they would work since I've never been able to stand vitamins.

#284237 - 09/28/06 05:55 AM
Miso

i am really glad that it was not only me they have worked for, it is so important to take a good multivitamin, but it seemed for ia long time i wouldn't be able to. yay us and we shall spread the word.

#284253 - 09/28/06 07:43 AM
Loriann

Thanks, you guys, for the recommendation. I'll try them. What about calcium/magnesium. I noticed this company has that too, but there are a lot of other things in that product. Do you take calcium/mag - if so, which one?

#284315 - 09/28/06 10:21 AM
Miso

they do make a cal-mag, but i have avoided it as it has herbs in it. I still haven't found a cal-mag that doesn't bother me, but i will keep trying. If you are brave you could try their cal-mag, it may be just fine for us, but in th emeantime i am revelling in th efact that i currenlty have a supplements regimen that works for me, and will look to add the cal-mag at some point in th efuture as it is the only thing left for me to add that i need.
presently i take:
probiotics
digestive enzymes
multvitamin
omega 3 fish oil
l-glutamine
acacia fiber
iron/b-12/flic acid capsule (non constipating, who knew it existed.)
Cipralex for anxiety ocd
Birth control pill
Thats the regimen, seem slike a lot, but have been doing really well on it, i eat raw veggies and nuts and seeds, i love the way i eat as i hate white bread and never touch, i use SF veggies instead and eat Whole grain grains sparingly.
I will keep people posted ion the cal-mag thing and hope you all will do the same. Generally my main issue with supplemets when they agree with me is I get C and very nauseated, which I hate and makes me have anxiety issues.
i really hate nausea and it was one of my main symtoms once upon a time

#284399 - 09/28/06 05:43 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Is this multivitamin a big horse pill? so many of them are...I think that's another reason I never follow through on taking them.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#284402 - 09/28/06 05:59 PM
Miso

they are pretty big, but most multi are, you can just chew it if you can't swallow it, since it is a whole food vitamin, it will taste really yeasty though.

#284418 - 09/28/06 08:47 PM
chupie

what about cutting it in half? I've considered doing that.

#284435 - 09/29/06 06:13 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I take One-A-Day Essential. It's only vitamins, no minerals.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284686 - 09/30/06 06:32 PM
mandi1655

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: ny, usa

Hi! I agree about the size of the pills-wow! I personally like liquid vitamins. I take it in the am with my fiber,iron,aloe juice, peppermint cap, ester C, Noni juice, probiotics, digestive enzymes with either eggs or yorgart with protein shake mixed in. Thats just the am!

--------------------
I choose to be a person living with a disease, not a diseased person.

#284817 - 10/01/06 07:37 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I take prenatal vitamins (NovaNatal)... have for quite a few years now. All the over-the-counter multi-vitamins I have tried made me very sick at my stomach. With these, I just take them with water right before I go to bed. The only time I have any trouble is if I take it and then don't go to bed. After about an hour or so I will start having nasty vitamin-tasting burps and then might feel slightly yucky, but nothing major and no IBS flare-ups caused by it. If I go straight to bed, though, I don't have any ill effects whatsoever... it wears off by the time I get up the next morning.

The pills are only slightly larger than a regular pill, which is good because I have a lot of trouble swallowing if a pill is too large. If you get prenatal vitamins with calcium, though, they are much bulkier. The doctor said this was perfectly safe for me to take even though I'm not trying to get pregnant right now... just a little more than I might need of a few things, but that's okay.

#284930 - 10/02/06 04:49 PM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

I have been unable to take multivitamins for years and recently have noticed my health going downhill. After reading your post I have some hope that the New Chapter's Only One will work for me and I ordered a bottle on Friday. I am eagerly awaiting them so I can give you alla report on them as well. Wish me luck and thanks for your post!

Re: multivitamins.... I'm trying the calcium new
      #285109 - 10/03/06 07:06 PM
Loriann

Well, I decided to suck it up and try the Cal/Mag supplement. I started taking it today and so far so good. I'll let you know in a few days how it's going. I also have the Only One - I'm going to take the calcium/mag one for the rest of the week first, then add the multivitamin. I'm in my 40's so I need calcium.

#285118 - 10/03/06 07:54 PM
Mrs. K

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Hawaii (Oahu)

I take One Source Complete, it is a Prenatal Vitamin that you can purchase at Wal-Mart. I can take it on an empty stomach and not have any problems. It took me a chile to find but I love it.

--------------------
Aloha

#285996 - 10/10/06 09:26 PM
Loriann

Thanks so much for the recommendation of these vitamins. I am taking the Only One and have never been able to take a multi before. No side effects at all! I also have been taking the Cal/Mag by the same company and I have no side effects from those either! Thanks again!

#286003 - 10/11/06 05:36 AM
Miso

i am so happy they are working out for so many of us, i might write them a letter and tell them

Re: multivitamins-Miso - Canadian IBS friendly vitamin? new
      #286010 - 10/11/06 06:19 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I was just going to post something re: multivitamin that does not upset stomach and bowel. Reading through - which one is a good one to start with on the first try? Thanks, Debbie IBS-C
P.S. I am in Canada so need something available here.

#286029 - 10/11/06 09:14 AM
Loriann

You can buy them online - they're actually cheaper that way. The company is New Chapter and the multi you want is called Only One (you only have to take one a day). It doesn't have anything in it that should bother you - they're just made out of food. I got mine at Vitaminshoppe.com, but there are cheaper places even than them. Whole Foods carries them, but they're more expensive there. Hope that helps.

#286105 - 10/11/06 06:34 PM
Miso

New chapters only one is the one i takke, it is hard to find in stores but you can order it only from canadian sellers who do free shipping, try www.cureself.com, so far all the people who have tried it on my recommendation have had good luck with it, i tried about 30 different kinds before i found this one, i am thrilled.

#302981 - 03/23/07 01:34 PM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

It's been about five months since I bought these and I had to experiment with them to find the best way to take them. I started out with one pill a day-Taking one whole pill kind of made me more IBS-D, so I tried breaking it in half and taking half in the morning and half before bed, which made it more tolerable....but I reduced it to half a vitamin a day instead, which has been working great! I've been taking half a pill a day every day for the last few months and I must say I feel no side effects from it- in fact I have more energy and have not caught a cold virus since I started taking these daily. I was noticing so many little things, strange things, that were happening to my body that I could only logically conclude were due to malnutrition such as colds, being more prone to allergies, fingernails breaking, fatigue, moodiness (because I wasn't eating any fruits, vegetables, or whole grains whatsoever for the last 3 years due to fear of becoming sick by eating them). Thankfully my health deterioration forced me to learn to incorporate those foods into my diet (even if it means taking imodium once a week). My favorite way to eat vegetables is wolfgang puck's organic tortilla soup, I just put it in the blender and then eat it with fat-free saltines and a 1/2 TBSP of acacia.

If you are trying to find a good multivitamin I recommend this one. I did an internet search to find the cheapest website and order it online.

Re: know its an old post- but if were on the subject.... new
      #303340 - 03/28/07 12:33 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

found this whilst looking on web for vitamins- might give them a try after i have my iron levels tested and can get an idea of what i need (i used to b aneamic)

FSC Multi-Vitamins & Minerals Liquid Gel Capsules

Fsc

SIZE: 30 Capsules

PRICE: £12.90 for 2 (minimum)
(£6.45 each)
Vitamins > Multi-vitamins and minerals

SHORT DESCRIPTION:
High antioxidant protection, easy to swallow, easy to digest multiple.
H CODE: FSCA10850
M CODE: 151530

S CODE: 151530

roduct Description:
Safeguarding the dietary intake of a wide range of essential nutrients. Suitable for all ages, but particularly useful for anyone with digestive problems, ulcerative colitis, Coeliacis disease, anyone taking antacids, or older people with low stomach acid.
HealthWarning:
This produce contains iron, which, if taken in excess, may be harmful to very young children. Keep out of sight and reach. Note: Contains Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Completely safe, but may turn the urine a bright yellow colour.
Direction / Advice:
For heart health benefits, take two capsules per day (providing 400iu of vitamin E).
Ingredients:
Capsule Shell (Gelatin, Glycerine, Carob Powder), Calcium Carbonate, Cod Liver Oil,Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopherol),Vitamin C, Magnesium Oxide, Safflower Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Manganese Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Pantothenic Acid, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin;Vitamin B 12 prep, Halibut Liver Oil,Thiamin Nitrate,Vitamin B6, Riboflavin, Niacin (as niacinamide), Choline Bitartrate, Thickener: Beeswax; Ferrous Fumarate, Beta Carotene prep. (Anti-oxidant: dalpha tocopherol), Inositol, Para Amino Benzoic Acid (RABA), L-Selenomethionine, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Folic Acid, Boron Amino Acid Chelate, Chromium Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Potassium Iodide.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5017

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review