All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What's For Lunch? 9/27
      #284113 - 09/27/06 06:23 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Does anyone mind a daily "What's For Lunch?" post?

I ate my b'fast already and am thinking about lunch. Dunno what I'm going to have yet....

(BTW, I'm pregnant and think about food ALL THE TIME!)

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's For Lunch? 9/27 new
      #284117 - 09/27/06 06:58 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I'm NOT pregnant and I think about food all the time

#284123 - 09/27/06 07:19 AM
jules

LMAO!

Thanks for the laugh chupie!

--------------------
~jules

#284127 - 09/27/06 07:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Ditto on that one!

Today I'm having dinner leftovers. Last night we made a yummy recipe I found on this site! Sizzling Shrimp fajitas with smoky orange marinade, topped with avocado, cabbage, and tomato. YUM!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#284132 - 09/27/06 08:15 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hmmm, I just had surgery yesterday so today I will likely have my normal lunch.
Italian bread with low fat roasted turkey, honey mustard, veggenaise, and lettuce. Some rice crackers or baked Doritos for a snack and maybe a slice of banana bread. I'll just see how the tum is!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#284133 - 09/27/06 08:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Oh I know what you mean!!! I eat all the time now but I have to tell you that my weight gain has not been bad at all. I have only gained about 17 lbs. I think it is that I may be eating more but it is still good stuff. Today I am having an Amy's frozen soy mac and cheese meal with an apple and I am sure a piece of chocolate!

#284137 - 09/27/06 08:52 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Leftover pizza from dinner last night

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#284139 - 09/27/06 08:55 AM
jules

I figured out what I'm having:

Amy's Stuffed Pasta Shells
Baked sweet potato chips
Pomegranite tea
Half a chocolate bar (for later in the afternoon)

--------------------
~jules

#284151 - 09/27/06 09:49 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I love the idea of a "what's for lunch" post. But, everyone is going to learn how much I cheat. I am stable and do watch what I eat, but not near as much as when I wasn't stable.

I am thinking about going to Panera for lunch today. I'll probably have their french onion soup with no cheese and turkey on french bread.

Wow, now I'm hungry!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Bento! new
      #284157 - 09/27/06 10:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Bento is basically a Japanese boxed lunch, usually packaged up in a compact little container. I like the idea for portion control purposes, so I started making myself bento every day.

Today's box (and a side dish):

9.27 bento

Some very sloppy cucumber maki (rolls), baby carrots, cut-up tomato, cucumber slices, lettuce, a hard-boiled egg, a couple slices of oven-fried green tomato, and a couple ginger candies. On the side dish: a sliced apple and a handful of Quakes (mini rice cakes). Not pictured: sweetened mustard for the veggies, soy and wasabi for the sushi, and my swanky stainless steel chopsticks.

Not everything here is safe for everyone - just throwing that in as a disclaimer - but I have no problems with trace amounts of dairy (on the Quakes) or egg yolks, and definitely not with raw veggies, so there ya go.

Oh yeah, and I should add that this amount of food isn't all lunch - it'll last me till dinner. The maki, egg, and green tomatoes were enough to fill me up at lunchtime!

And I like the idea of a daily "what's for lunch" post! Fun!

Casey - you can make lunch for me any day!! new
      #284158 - 09/27/06 10:39 AM
MCV

That looks fantastic!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Casey - you can make lunch for me any day!! new
      #284160 - 09/27/06 10:46 AM
chupie

Me too!

LOL! Thanks! new
      #284161 - 09/27/06 10:48 AM
atomic rose

It helps that I love love LOVE to cook. I probably *would* make you lunch if you lived nearby, LOL!

It really didn't take long at all, or take much effort, just the forethought to buy a lot of vegetables.

Re: LOL! Thanks! new
      #284166 - 09/27/06 11:11 AM
MCV

The presentation alone is what is impressing me I think! I usually eat leftovers from dinner for lunch, but I just dump it into one of those ziplock containers - maybe I should work on making it look pretty!!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

A little inspiration new
      #284169 - 09/27/06 11:21 AM
atomic rose

There's a lot of websites and online groups devoted to bento - some of the stuff is so artistic, you'd wonder how you'd bear to eat it! But for a little (realistic) inspiration, try the Bento Boxes flickr group. You don't have to be a member to look at the pictures, and you'll be amazed at how much food some of these people are able to fit into a tiny box!

I swear the presentation makes a difference... I'm less inclined to go downstairs for junk food if my lunch is pretty and colorful. I have no idea why that is!

Re: A little inspiration new
      #284170 - 09/27/06 11:26 AM
MCV

Ok - this is really cool!!! I think I need to spend more time on making my lunch!! Are these special boxes? Where do you get them?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Bento! new
      #284184 - 09/27/06 12:31 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Ooh, I love your lunch! Okay, I wouldn't be able to eat any of it right now, but it *looks* nice.

I had a "box lunch" at a Japanese restaurant earlier this year and I was so in love with the way it was presented -- they had this cool black boxes (enameled maybe?) with different compartments. Of course I ended up not being able to eat most of what was in each compartment, but, well, at least it looked really cool, and that's what mattered. I wonder if you can find those boxes anywhere? Besides for $14.95 each over the Internet?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Bento! new
      #284186 - 09/27/06 12:38 PM
atomic rose

Thanks!

Actually, $14.95 apiece over the internet isn't a bad price. Well, depending on shipping. The cheapest I've seen them is $7.99 + shipping, on ebay.

I don't know what you have in your area, but the only places likely to have bento boxes (by the way, it was probably melamine, made to look enameled) would be Asian grocery stores and restaurant supply stores. You *might* find them in your health food store, depending on how big of a store it is. This is just packed in a tupperware, but I did order a couple bento boxes online, from various ebay stores. There's just no options for buying them in person around here.

#284187 - 09/27/06 12:44 PM
chupie

Those are SO cool. I love the Hello Kitty rice ball.

#284188 - 09/27/06 12:44 PM
atomic rose

Well, you don't *have* to use a special box. What I have my stuff in today is a tupperware container (about 7 1/2" x 3 3/4" x 2 1/2"), and the side dish is the "grease tray" from my Foreman grill!

If you look at that flickr group, though, most of the people posting are using actual bento boxes, imported from Japan. I've looked around a little, and the best prices online seem to be on Ebay - a LOT of sellers have them in their stores, which means you don't have to monkey around with bidding, you can just buy them. Just be mindful of the shipping costs if you go that route - a lot of them ship directly from Japan, and you pay a LOT for shipping.

I just replied to jen1013 with ideas for finding them locally, as opposed to shopping online - Asian groceries and restaurant supply stores, mostly. I'll warn ya, it's not easy, though. If you don't want to shop online, you're better off finding a good Tupperware-type container that you like. In some cases, they're more practical anyway - most bento boxes CANNOT be microwaved or put in the dishwasher, and some don't have watertight seals (which limits you to dry foods).

Hope that helps!

#284189 - 09/27/06 12:46 PM
atomic rose

Isn't some of that stuff a riot? I can't see myself going through quite that much trouble, but it's so cute when other people do it!

#284190 - 09/27/06 01:04 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh Man.... thanks a lot Casey.... now I'm so hungry after looking at all those.... I don't know if soup will be it for me today or not!! LOL

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#284192 - 09/27/06 01:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Thanks for the link, Casey -- I love looking at the pictures. I've got segmented Tupperware so I think I need to start practicing on my husband's lunches!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#284217 - 09/27/06 06:57 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i had a WW pita that i stuffed with cucumbers, peppers, carrots, radishes and sunflower seeds, with tons of hummus, mmmm hummus
Tonight i made tabbouli to eat tommorrow, i love meditaranean/lebanese food, it is so ibs friendly, see if anyone can find a lebanese cookbook, its all frash and low fat.

#284251 - 09/28/06 07:35 AM
MCV

I'm going tupperware shopping this weekend! Thanks for the idea, Casey - I'm really excited about this.

Ahhhh - it's the little things

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4242

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review