All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia takers...spacing it out best?
      #283997 - 09/26/06 10:29 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I was taking Fibercon and now I have been taking Acacia for about 4-5 days and intertwining some Fibercon when more accessible. It seems to be helping but here's my problem/question: if you mix it in let's say a cup of tea in the morning, do you need to drink the entire cup before it really starts to take effect? That seems obvious but I am not a big morning person for eating/drinking (or talking for that matter!) so I find myself sipping my drink for quite a while or if I have to go out, I never really finish it (two young kids to get out of the house)...so I've been taking Fibercon too as a reassurance until I can actually sit down and eat maybe a bowl of oatmeal with Acacia mixed in. Is this the right approach? Mornings are the worst tummy time for me (IBS-D with stress and anxiety!). With that said, when Heather suggests taking the Acacia before bed, is it really necessary to take it RIGHT before bed (like 10 or 11 PM?). Would it not be so helpful for the following morning if I took a big dose at dinner time instead? I tend to get ready for bed and then watch TV, read, whatever and I usually get too tired or fall asleep on the couch before the 11:00 hour. I have to take other meds too (Asacol, Librax, probiotic, etc.) so it annoys me to have to do this when I am tired...I'd rather take them around 8:00 and then be done. Also, I'm not good at drinking the Acacia in water so I find myself forcing myself to eat something late at night (wanting to have already brushed my teeth,etc.)...I know this all seems trivial...just trying to work this into my lifestyle so that IBS does not interfere with EVERYTHING I do!!! Thanks for any suggestions on what you do that seems to work best. (I didn't want to take the Fibercon right before bed either b/c it felt like a big horse pill in my throat and then I'd have to drink a lot of water which would make me get up all night to pee!!!) Help!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia takers...spacing it out best? new
      #284025 - 09/26/06 12:37 PM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

I do better when I space out the fiber. I have some as soon as I get up, a little before lunch, and some before dinner. I usually take it in water but sometimes in tea. I find that spacing it helps with the bloating and gas that I would otherwise experience during the day.

#284106 - 09/27/06 04:34 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I don't like the acacia in water so I put it in about 1/4 cup of juice in the morning and around 8pm. I usually drink some tea right after taking it so I get plenty of liquids but haven't had a problem when I don't have the tea.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#284347 - 09/28/06 12:09 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I've been mixing my acacia either right in foods, or with a just couple swallows' worth of chocolate Silk. I don't take any before bed, just with my small evening meal.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

THanks...and one more question new
      #284359 - 09/28/06 12:26 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks to those of you who responded. How much Acacia are you taking to stop d and do you find that having it with dinner is just as effective as right before bed to prevent d the next morning?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: THanks...and one more question new
      #284362 - 09/28/06 12:43 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

One idea I've picked up on via these boards is that small amounts of acacia are quickly effective for D, while with C it seems to take a higher dosage to get relief.

My D lessened a lot with me taking 1/4 tsp. acacia with each meal. Beginning this week I upped my dosage to 1/2 tsp. @ each meal to see if that will let me stop taking so much Immodium. The amount of improvement I've had even on my "starter" dosage is significant.

Taking it with dinner seems to be enough to help with my "morning urge," but that may not be true for everyone. I've made it a habit to eat lightly after 4pm now, so that may also help.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: THanks...and one more question new
      #284384 - 09/28/06 03:17 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I started slowly but now I take 1T in am and 1T around 8pm.
My doc asked me to do an at-home stool culture on this cardboard slide. She said just wipe your toilet tissue on it. Well since taking acacia the tissue is clean, nothing, nada. I have to re evaluate how to get this darn sample.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review