All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to board - afraid to eat
      #2839 - 03/14/03 07:37 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi! I'm 51, have had IBS-D, occasional C, for decades. Seemed to relent during my marriage but has flared recently after divorce, losing job, etc. I have Heather's books and am trying the Citrucel, soluble fiber foundation, etc., but I'm afraid to eat veggies and fruits. I had a shaved turkey sandwich on bakery french bread with no-fat mayo tonight and it was heavenly. I'm feeling better after ten days, symptoms are 95% gone. But I'm afraid to try to add foods because I have a job interview this week! Even LeSeur peas sound wonderful! Do I have to puree everything? Help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to board - afraid to eat new
      #2841 - 03/14/03 09:04 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Honestly if it were me, I'd stick to what works until after the job interview. Applesauce, roasted chicken and rice seem to be my "comfort" foods that I turn to when I have an attack. After the interview, start adding foods slowly, using Heather's book as a guide. It's hard at first, but once you understand what she's teaching you, it will be easy for you to distinguish what the right foods are and what the right way is to cook them. Come back often, there's a lot of great information here!!

#2842 - 03/14/03 09:26 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks! Sounds better than the Citrucel, french bread, baby food diet I've been on! By the way, I know we're supposed to stay away from beef, but what about beef broth? I thought I could use a little to flavor the rice, or pour over a baked potato (I could pretend I was having filet mignon!).

#2850 - 03/15/03 01:08 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I wouldn't risk the beef broth I have had trouble there!

Use fat free veggie broth or garlic salt to flavour rice instead - both are nice.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2853 - 03/15/03 04:35 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

i eathier put sugar and salt on my rice, or ketchup and garlic salt... mmmmmm. i want some rice

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#2857 - 03/15/03 05:17 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think we've all been there. Afraid to eat. Welcome to the board! When you are ready to try fruits and veggies, start slowly. Cooked carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, all "mashable" are very good to start with. I finally learned it's not necessarily what you eat, but HOW. With fruits and veggies, just incorporate, cook well, and chew slowly. Make sure you have them with your soluble fiber and you should be OK. Check out the section called "A NEw Way to EAt" on this website. There is also lots of hints on how to get started on the First Year of IBS website (blue and white icon at the top.) Good luck and let us know how you are doing or if you have any questions.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2886 - 03/15/03 04:34 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - us East-coasters put ketchup on everything. My Dad used to put it in chicken soup (my mother would get so mad at him!!) and in soft-boiled eggs. My mother would put it on T-bone steak. I'm not as bad as they are. I only put it on Boca burgers, potatoes, and eggs. (I just cannot imagine ketchup on rice, though!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2895 - 03/15/03 05:55 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I don't like ketchup but your comment reminded me of my father and sister. They eat french toast with ketchup on it instead of syrup. I always thought they were crazy because I love sweets and that seemed so odd.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2926 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review