All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
zelnorm and antidepressants please help!
      #28364 - 11/22/03 05:01 AM
Tim D

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Orlando, Florida USA

I'm on Zelnorm right now and I'm taking 3mg. I actually had diarrhea again and crapped my bed and my pants twice. Sorry about being so graphic. I'm trying to get off of Lexapro and Klonopin right now as I was rushed to the ER yesterday because I was so weak and tired and not respnding to anything. I could be getting side effects from getting off the medication but I am tapering myself off of it. I see the psychiatrist today. I try taking Citrucel and Oatmeal in the morning. I need help trying to get my colon in order. I have no idea what the colon looks like right now and why I'm always having so much trouble with constipation but I think the pills don't help. I'm trying to balance out my diet but it's so hard as I has the nissen fundoplication Sept 2nd and I get very bloated. I'm taking fennel seed caplets right now. I also taken Amylase and stuff for the colon. It's hard taking Oatmeal because it gets stuck in the esophagus because of the surgery. I don't know what else I can take. I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing. It's hard having fiber because of the surgery. I have no idea if the Zelnorm is making things worse or what. I see the gastro doctor December 3rd. Please give me some ideas as it's hard with all the gas and everything. The Lexapro and Klonopin was making me way too dopey. Just give me some ideas out there please. I don't want anything too complex to make.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: zelnorm and antidepressants please help! new
      #28394 - 11/22/03 10:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

yes, I think that going on/off antidepressants can mess up your IBS. As well as surgery. I don't know if that's the case with you, but here's a couple of suggestions. REad the dietary guidelines and FAQ's here: web page
I would avoid the citrucel - it can cause bad diarrhea in a lot of people, as well as bloating. Try Heather's ACACIA fiber - it's a safer bet.
A lot of people also have trouble with oatmeal. I would try some toast WHITE bread with a small bit of jam or jelly or low fat peanut butter. Or some rice, or some rice krispies in soy milk for breakfast. This may help. If you're bothered by both the citrucel and oatmeal, your day is mucked up before you even start. Try some other things and see if it helps.
I hope you're feeling better soon.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#28398 - 11/22/03 10:55 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I think you should contact your doctor sooner and discuss this with him or her and see if they can help you out and answer any questions you have right away.

Sorry to hear your having a rough time with all this, I sympathize with you.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#28399 - 11/22/03 11:43 AM
Tim D

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Orlando, Florida USA

The problem is that white bread makes me even more constipated especially after the surgery. My mom always gets constipated as well but she takes laxatives. This bread is not whole wheat. It has wheat flour but not whole wheat. It looks just like white. The wite bread is really binding for me it seems.

#28405 - 11/22/03 12:28 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Tim - Are you trying to safely incorporate as much insoluble fiber as possible? I don't know what your restrictions are, because of your surgery since you say you have trouble eating oatmeal. Also, make sure you are drinking TONS of water. The water makes the soluble fiber (like from the white bread) work.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

#28523 - 11/23/03 12:42 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here's a page that explains why white bread is not the enemy here ... web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review