All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nothing since colonoscopy-worried
      #283419 - 09/21/06 11:27 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Ok, I had the procedure on Monday morning. It's now Thurs & I haven't had a BM since Monday before I went in! I started taking the acacia fiber again on Tues evening. I'm taking 1/8 tsp twice a day (I only used it for 3 days prior to this & was in a lot pain, was taking 1/2 tsp twice a day). I've been careful about my diet, making sure to take it easy on my tummy. Mond I only had toast & a little bit of chicken. Tues I had Rice Chex w/soy milk for breakfast, pasta w/marinara sauce (it's never bothered me before)w/plain bread for lunch, then because I wasn't home I had to eat at *yuck* Mcdonald's-grilled chicken sandwich, lettuce & tomato only- and I only ate half of it. Yesterday breakfast & lunch were the same, dinner was a very small portion of turkey kielbasa (also has never bothered me before) 2 slices of sourdough bread & about 1/3 cup green beans. What am I doing wrong? I can't figure it out. Or is just the residual effects of the colonoscopy?

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nothing since colonoscopy-worried new
      #283421 - 09/21/06 11:31 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well, since you are *totally* cleaned out, and if you are careful eating since, it might just be that. I'm supposed to get one on Wed (which I am cancelling and getting a new GI - see my earlier rant) they told me it would probably be a couple of days before seeing a bowel movement.

#283463 - 09/21/06 03:37 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It is most likely from the colonoscopy. When my mom had one done, something white they used was the cause of it. The doctors never gave her any warning about it, so she was eating normally and ended up C for a week. Finally she started drinking a lot of water and eating more IF to get things started again.

My mom however does not have IBS, so she could eat as much IF as she needed to break the C. For someone with IBS, I recommend drinking lots of water and tea, taking Acacia and enough SF to balance taking more IF. From what I see in your diet the last few days, it isn't enough IF. Try eating IF at every meal/snack with some safe SF like bread or rice.

Hope you feel better soon,

--------------------
Kat

#283480 - 09/21/06 04:48 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Have you tried Milk of Magnesia? I'm trying to think if this is what I used for after a colonscopy or if it was when I had a barium enema; which is when you still do the prep, but they put a tube in your rectum,blow up a balloon (which you have to hold in)then inject barium,which you need to hold in as well, so they can see your large intestine. Then when it is done you can release the barium in the toilet(only if you make it that far ) Anyways try the MoM or adding a bit of more fruits and veggies. Are you bloated and feeling constipated or just worried? Take care Sue

#283562 - 09/22/06 10:48 AM
littlelani

I was in a lot of pain last night, so bad I cried & my BF was going to take me to the ER, but I wouldn't let him. I finally had a BM & felt a little better, but I'm still very bloated & gassy. I think part of that was dinner though. I had Soy Boy ravioli w/margarine on it, and that was it, no IF at all. I feel so stupid! I know I need IF! I did take 1 tb of MoM but it only seemed to make it worse. I made it to work today, but not sure if I'm going to make til 5:30. For lunch I'm having a sandwich consisting of a whole grain roll, sliced turkey from the deli, leaf lettuce & a slice of soy cheese. I think I'm going to have a small salad w/dinner tonight, hopefully that'll get me straightened out. Thanks for all the info!

--------------------

also have new symptom new
      #283564 - 09/22/06 11:13 AM
littlelani

Also i've had this weird "firecracker" feeling in my tummy. Not in my intestines/colon, but actually in my stomach. It feels like I swallowed a bunch of pop rocks! That was a lot of my pain last night. I've never had that before. Any ideas?

--------------------

Edited by littlelani (09/22/06 11:22 AM)

#283567 - 09/22/06 11:45 AM
cos1997

Reged: 09/05/06

I had a similar experience after my colonoscopy last November. I wouldn't worry too much yet. My system was so flushed out that it was a little while before I had a BM and it was more off than usual for about a week or so.

COS
IBS - A, bloating, cramping

#283568 - 09/22/06 12:12 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"For lunch I'm having a sandwich consisting of a whole grain roll, sliced turkey from the deli, leaf lettuce & a slice of soy cheese"

I'm just worried that there isn't any SF at all in this. You do need lots of IF so that is good, but in order to keep your stomach from cramping up you should have a base of SF. I would take an SFS with water or tea before this meal.

--------------------
Kat

Re: also have new symptom new
      #283622 - 09/23/06 08:09 AM
littlelani

Ok, I don't think it's IBS anymore. I think something else is wrong, maybe a virus. After the advice yesterday I was very careful w/dinner. I had IBS-safe salmon patties (salmon, egg whites, bread crumbs, lemon juice, seasonings), 4 new potatoes, a slice of sourdough bread, & a small salad (leaf lettuce, roasted red pepper & fat-free ranch dressing). I ate the bread & potatoes first, then 1/2 of the salmon patty, then the salad. I took 4 beano pills before I ate, then I took 1 calcium pill & 1 flaxseed oil pill. I ate slowly, waiting a min or 2 in between bites. About 10 mins after I finished eating I started to get immense pain in my stomach. This is the 2nd night in a row it happened. Last night it was so bad about 2 hrs after dinner I actually threw up. It never happens after breakfast or lunch, only dinner. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not fun. I'm only having liquids today, no solid food, except maybe some bread. But I'm hoping it passes soon!

--------------------

Re: also have new symptom new
      #283640 - 09/23/06 12:54 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well, maybe it was the lettuce. That can be very hard on many conditions. Have you gotten results back about your colonoscopy yet? What other tests have you had?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4860 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review