All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
RE: Fiber Supplement-Maybe Not Enough??
      #283300 - 09/20/06 06:27 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Well, I just now re-read the fiber supplement guidelines under the FAQs. When I took the Fibercon for the past month, I was only taking 2 caplets twice a day. She said you can work up to 2 caplets 6 times a day. Is it possible I just was not taking enough, and that's why I felt no better?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: RE: Fiber Supplement-Maybe Not Enough?? new
      #283393 - 09/21/06 09:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's not only possible, it's very likely. You're supposed to work up to 12-15g of fiber a day from the supplement, and a lot of people don't see any difference at all till they hit around 7-8g. I'm not familiar with Fibercon, but I'm betting you weren't taking more than 4g a day, if not a lot less than that.

Give it another try!

#283486 - 09/21/06 07:26 PM
Ericasmom

Thanks, I'll do that! I just started the Citrucel yesterday-now I'm not knowing if I should stay on it or go back to the Fibercon. No wonder I'm still feeling so lousy! Are there any suggestions as far as how long you should stay at one dose before you increase it?

--------------------

Not enough new
      #283487 - 09/21/06 07:28 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You are only getting 2 grams of fiber from your capsules. You can go way up.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Not enough new
      #283500 - 09/21/06 09:15 PM
Ericasmom

So that's all? 1 measly gram of fiber for 2 tablets? I will be more than happy to go up! I just have to get over my fear that the diarrhea is going to worsen-or my stomach pain. I will go take two more right now. I just still don't understand how gradually/quickly I can increase. I was starting to do better this morning-no dietary changes since then. Then I was hit with a major stressor this afternoon, and tummy started to take a tumble. That, and getting ready to go on vacation tomorrow. I just pray I'll be able to make it without feeling like CR_P the whole time (no pun intended!). Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

--------------------

#283502 - 09/21/06 09:28 PM
atomic rose

It's been a long time, so I don't remember how quickly I increased, but I think I bumped it up a notch (1 gram's worth) every 4 or 5 days.

It's really up to you if you stay with Citrucel or go back to Fibercon, but keep this in mind: the capsules/caplets are really not a cost-effective way to do it. If you work up to taking 12g, that's 24 pills a day! You're better off using a powder supplement - acacia is the most cost-effective one of all, but even Citrucel powder is going to be better than the caplets.

Don't be afraid. Despite all the marketing that pushes fiber supplements as "laxatives", it's not going to make your D worse. If anything, it's just not going to make a difference at all until you work up to a higher dose.

Good luck.

#283506 - 09/22/06 04:48 AM
Ericasmom

Thanks again! It's just that I work 5 days a week, and I'm really not sure how I'm going to be able to take a powder formula at work all day-unless I carry around little packs of applesauce or something! WHEW! But you're right-that amount of fibercon would definitely bankrupt me. But wouldn't it be 12 pills a day? I thought it was 2 pills 6 times a day.

--------------------

It depends... new
      #283521 - 09/22/06 06:33 AM
atomic rose

...on how many grams of fiber are in each pill. I know that with Citrucel capsules, each one is 1/2g, so you'd end up having to take 24 a day (approximately - people stabilize at different fiber grams). If Fibercon has more per pill, then yes, it would obviously be fewer pills. But it's still an expensive way to get fiber!

Incidentally, you *can* mix-and-match fiber supplements. If it's easier to take a pill during the day and a powder when you're home, then go for it.

Fibercon only has 1/2 gram a tablet too new
      #283523 - 09/22/06 06:36 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

That seems to be the standard for the capsules, it seems. Benefiber is the same.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: It depends... new
      #283584 - 09/22/06 03:07 PM
Ericasmom

Ok-but here is where the confusion lies. Quoting from Heather, "For the soluble fiber pills (Equalactin, Citrucel, Fibercon)
Start at 2 pills twice daily and work up to 2 pills six times daily, or the equivalent of 12-15 grams soluble fiber supplement per day." According to my calculations, that would be 1 gram of fiber per pill (not 1/2 as I have seen stated everywhere else, including by her in another paragraph). Total of 12 pills daily, not 24. Is this just a mis-print? Also, when I'm having a really bad attack like now, do I want to continue with the fiber supplements, or lay off them for the time being? Again, I'm leaving tonight for my trip and want to make sure I only do things to make myself better-not worse. Hope I'm not driving you all crazy!((HUGS))

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3513 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review