Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveling problem
      #283252 - 09/20/06 02:43 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Hi All,
I've been away for a while but am realizing I need to return here to feel better for more of the time.
Today I want to ask for help w/a problem. I have searched past posts about this,but still hope other ideas will be offered.
The problem is that I am often asked to join friends on trips and they want to leave EARLy in the morning.
The main way I have learned to manage my IBS-C is to stay home until I have had effective "bathroom time". Some days that is 10am others it can be noon.Usually if I am calm and go about my morning as if nothing unusual is happening,I go to the bathroom about 2hrs. after I'm up.
So now some freinds I really want to reconnect w/(we used to be very close but lost touch)are leaving at 7am for a weekend trip and asked me to join them.
I feel a 50-50 pull. Part of me just wants to say,just go,then I remember how miserable I'll be,pretty sure this will be the case. Part of me thinks I should just take a laxative or stool softener the day before and clean myself out. I think I'm just worried about this being a 2 day event. I so want to join in.Also this is not a new problem,I have tried on other types of these experiences to just say no or try not to worry about it.
Okay,so now I'll be quiet and listen to any ideas you might want to share.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling problem new
      #283256 - 09/20/06 02:48 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I know exactly how you feel about travelling early in the morning. I HATE early morning flights for that very reason!! Any chance of getting yourself up earlier than usual and doing some light exercise, like walking, to "get things moving"? Can you compromise on a later time, say, 9am? Taking a small dose of a laxative the evening before (a few hours before going to bed) is also something I would consider. However, sometimes I just accept that I'm going to be stressed out that morning, and may not be able to "go". My stomach is usually in knots by the time i get to the airport!

Good luck! I hope you are able to find a way to go on the trip!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#283285 - 09/20/06 05:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I completely hear you...I am IBS-D and have the other major concern that I can barely be sure I won't have to go so urgently just to drop my son off at school at 8:45. Getting up early does help b/c you'll get a sense of how stable your stomach is that day, but if you're like me, the second I wake up, I am stressing so bad about it that my stomach starts turning despite any medicine, preventative techniques, etc...it really stinks to have to "wait it out" for everything. I never make early morning appointments for anything...not even the doctor. Anyhow, I suppose you could try to muddle through but I feel like I have done this through about a trillion scenarios over the past 12 years and always felt miserable, secretly hiding my anxiety and wishing to be normal. Part of me wants to say to lie (since it doesn't sound like you are close enough with these people to open up) and give an excuse as to why you need to take a separate car and meet up with them wherever you are going. My close girlfriends (5 of us) do a girls' weekend every so often but they know my deal and are willing to stop in the woods if need be so that puts me at ease. But if you don't feel comfortable sharing, I would opt for the "meet up with you" fib so you'll rid yourself of the physical and mental anxiety but you can still be part of the trip. That will help you be less stressed about the ride home too and what you eat while you're there if it is two days. I don't know where you're going...once it was so ridiculous that I drove by myself to a shower 5 hours away just b/c I couldn't bare the thought of driving with my in-laws (who I like...just wouldn't understand) for all those hours. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#283289 - 09/20/06 05:40 PM
Su

All of the above are on my list of considerations.
Thanks Lisa Marie!
It is so good to feel heard and understood.
I am NOT a morning person and will need to weigh if this particular trip is worth getting up at 4:30 am.
Part of me is so fed up w/being so limited by this disease that I sometimes feel like throwing up my hands and doing whatever opportunity comes along.Then I usually suffer if I follow this plan.
I think tom. I will call the gal in charge and share my situation and find out what the two days will be like.That may raise too many red flags,or not.
Thanks for writing me.Suzy

#283591 - 09/22/06 04:57 PM
Su

Thanks for your sharing.
It so helps to know others understand.
I've let myself have time to consider the options and think I will sit this one out.
I just returned from a month away from home.I've been here for a week,and loving it.
Tomorrow I am going w/my sister to a concert a few hrs. away,but she understands and plans things that allow me to wait till I am ready.
The next day,when I am ready,we will go to the Baltimore Aquarium.
Hopefully things will go well. At least I know I won't feel nervous w/her.
This thinking things thr. helped me see there are things I can do and people I can go places with.
Maybe I can try to explain this to my friends for the next trip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1953 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review