Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breakfast...
      #283210 - 09/20/06 12:06 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hi guys,

I've been actively trying to gain weight for the past year or so, with minimal success. My symptoms have been so bad this summer that I've dropped down to my lowest weight ever, so I know I really need to step up my weight gain efforts. I typically don't get hungry in the mornings, but if I wait until I am hungry to eat, I generally won't have anything until around 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon...and two meals a day just isn't going to cut it for me at this point!

I've been trying the "mini-meals" thing to help my IBS, blood sugar (I have type 1 diabetes), and weight gain, and it seems to be working relatively well for me. The only thing I'm really having trouble with is eating in the morning...it seems to make me bloated and lethargic, and throws me off for the rest of the day. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you eat a little something anyway? If so, what?

I've been trying things like half a banana, or 1/2 a toasted english muffin with my tea, but even that sometimes triggers a reaction for me.

As always, any thoughts, advice, or comments are extremely appreciated. You guys are the best!

Thanks!

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breakfast... new
      #283345 - 09/21/06 04:28 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

The only thing that I can get away with in the mornings is a smoothie - usually soy milk, acacia, a banana, a couple of strawberries. That's it until around 9 or 10 when I eat a small turkey swandich. I do munch on safe foods through the morning, but I am just making myself keep something going through my system.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#283352 - 09/21/06 05:34 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Julia--Try eating protein rather than carbs. Carbs will make you feel lethargic, especially if you have diabetes. (Bananas and Emglish muffins are high in carbs.)

I usually have no appetitie in the mornings, either. I have tea with SFS, and a small protein fix: two slices of turkey bacon, a couple of pieces of turkey breakfast sausage, a spoonful of peanut butter, baby carrots with white bean dip, Luna bar, etc.--just enough to get going. This usually helps stabilize my stomach and my blood sugar, and makes me feel more like eating throughout the day.

#283411 - 09/21/06 10:55 AM
Draupadi

Hey Karen, thanks for your input!

I normally eat a good amount of protein throughout the day, but for some reason the thought of eating meat or eggs or anything like that in the morning turns my stomach...when I eat carbs, though, I try to eat small amounts of protein, fat, and fiber with them, so that my blood sugar stays stable for a while afterward. In the morning, that usually means drinking a cup of sugar-free soy
chai or putting some almond butter on that english muffin or banana.

I think you're right about the idea of "warming up" your tummy in the morning in order to feel more like eating throughout the day. My stomach is still getting used to the idea of eating in the morning, though, and it seems to be rebelling. Sometimes all I can stomach is the soy chai or a cup of tea, but anything is better than nothing, I suppose...it is just very frustrating trying to gain the weight back with all this pain and discomfort...but I'm hoping over time, it will get easier.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Julia

#283412 - 09/21/06 10:58 AM
Draupadi

Hmmm...smoothies are difficult for me because of the rapid rise in blood sugar that liquid meals cause...but the one you make seems to be relatively low in sugar. Perhaps I could try making my own, and add a little bit of nut butter or something for some fat and calories...

Are you able to make a large batch, and then store it for a few days? I am also worried about having time in the mornings to prepare something like that.

Thanks so much for your help!

--------------------
Julia

#283424 - 09/21/06 11:44 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I make about 16 ounces at time and drink it all. I use a blender and it takes only a few minutes to make.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#283448 - 09/21/06 02:10 PM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

I start my morning with a glass of soy milk + ovaltine. How do you handle oatmeal, Malt-o-meal (Cream of Wheat), or grits? I try to eat a big bowl every morning; plus a banana, plus a granola bar. :-) I treat myself to oatmeal cookies whenever I start to get hungry. Apple Newtons are good snacks, too.

But I forgot the most important thing: I take one of Heather's Peppermint caps first thing in the morning--calms my guts down.

#283541 - 09/22/06 08:32 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I can relate. I'm on weight gain along with severe stomach issues. I see a nutritionist but a lot is getting your body accustomed. You have to think of food as medicine and you can't feel better when your body is in starvation. It is so hard sometimes but eating on a schedule is so important. I try to do 6 meals a day,also any food you feel you could eat in the morning it doesn't have to be breakfast types.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5776 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 993

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review