All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extremely Frustrated With IBS Regression :(
      #282899 - 09/18/06 02:33 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I would like to extend a huge thank you to each of you for your prior help.
OK, I do not know why or what happened and why I am going through this.
All I know is the last two and more weeks have stunk.
I was before pretty stable, meaning I would go to the bathroom, and get about as empty as I could hope for.

Then I moved to a new place.
I got a cold.
I still kept eating well.
It didn't matter, I am C, backed up, not emptying, with trapped gas, and all the good dieting, water, and Benefiber ain't doing it, and I am getting mad.

It simply irks me and makes zero sense, it is beyond frustrating how for NO apparent reason I sink and am now stuck with a buldging gut due to c for whatever reason.

First I thought it was because I had a cold.
But my cold has passed.
Then I thought it could be due to moving to a new place with new roomates and a small toliet well.
I have been at my place for two weeks, I like my roomates.
I almost feel like saying give me a break, why does everything have to be perfect.
I can not help the fact the toliet is small, if this is why my body can not empty, then how come it doesn't adapt?
This is bogus, I can control what I eat, but I can not control the size of a toliet, and for a matter that minisucle, it should not be wreaking havoc on IBS.

So my question is, if not this, then what could be doing this and what can I do so I am back and going as regular as I can hope.
I can't have these tiny incomplete movements, it's been two weeks already, more than enough time to adapt by now.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Extremely Frustrated With IBS Regression :( new
      #282901 - 09/18/06 02:34 PM
Naturapanic

Here is a smaple of what I have been eating.
Is there anything here which makes you say this could be the problem or anything I could be doing better, and if not, what can I do?

Meal 1
Egg beaters
Oat Bran with Applesauce

Meal 2
Turkey sandwich
Baked chips

Meal 3
Grahmam Crackers
Pears

Meal 4
Salmon/Chicken
Rice
Green beans

Meal 5
Egg protein
Shredded Wheat

So I feel I
-Avoid triggers
-Get Fiber Benefiber 3 times a day
-Get Water

The only thing I can think of is, I need to go back to

-Oat Bran and Applesauce two times a day
-Green beans everyday
-100 oz water everyday

Should that be the solution?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#282907 - 09/18/06 03:22 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

How much benefiber are you taking each day? I was taking about 9 pills everyday, 3 w/each meal. My GI told me I was taking too much, & that was most likely causing my C. She had me cut back to taking only 2 pills in the morning, then taking 1 tsp of Fibersure at night. That helped a lot. I started going at least once every other day, sometimes every day. I also found out, from reading the boards, that I wasn't getting enough IF, so I tried adding more cooked veggies to my meals. I was only eating 2-3 bites of veggies before, now I try to have at least 1/2-3/4 cup with my dinner. That helped too. I've been going once/twice every day since I started that. I started taking acacia fiber Tues, but I had to have some tests done so my GI told me to stop taking any SFS on Thurs. I had the tests done today so I'm going to start over w/the acacia tomorrow. I'm anxious to see what happens! Sorry, this was so long, but I hope it helps!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#282909 - 09/18/06 03:29 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Perhaps you still need more IF in your diet.

Base diet new
      #282912 - 09/18/06 03:44 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is a strategy that I developed over the past 25 years.

At the very first sign of problems irrespective of the trigger (stress, food, illness, etc)I immediately go to my base diet.

My base diet is

• oatmeal w/brown sugar (no milk of any kind)
  • homemade chicken & vegetable (carrots and peas) soup with rice noodles
  • chicken breast with rice and boiled carrots.

Also, I increase my SF a bit. If I am on the road I start taking docusate the day I begin my travels. If I act quick enough I can get myself back on track within 2-3 days.

Perhaps you could develop a base diet - much simpler than the one you gave - that you can drop back to at the first sign of problems whether you are at home, at a friend's home or on the road. For example, if I am invited to a friend's for dinner I ask if they could make me some rice and carrots and I offer to bring the chicken breast.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#282918 - 09/18/06 05:10 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I don't see enough IF in your diet. I have to eat IF (like a serving or two of fruits and veggies) at *every* meal if I'm not going to be C. I get the best results by eating a variety of fruits and veggies - my body seems to get used to (say) eating an apple at lunch every day.

Note that exercise is also key. Have you reread Heather's newsletters on constipation? They're really helpful.

--AC

#282922 - 09/18/06 05:33 PM
Naturapanic

Thank you so much for your help.

I actually go to the gym 4-5 times a week, lifting and running 20-30 minutes once a week.
This is why I get frustrated with IBS, because when I am c I am bloated and it makes it appear that I do not go to the gym or exercise, I look as if I am a fat blank, which given how I go to the gym gets me the most with IBS.

I have something like a base diet, it goes:

Meal 1
Oat bran with applesauce
Eggs
Cereal (Raisen bran)

Meal 2
Graham Crackers
Pears

Meal 3
Turkey Sandwich with Lettuce
Baked Chips

Meal 4
Oat bran with applesauce

Meal 5
Chicken with Rice
Spinach

Meal 6
Egg powder
Raisen bran

Does that sound like a good base diet to go by for the next several days?

Also I thought I was getting IF since I eat Green beans, Oat Bran with Applesauce, and Pears?

Carrots, I thought they were high in fructose?
What do they do exactly, should I give them a try?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#282925 - 09/18/06 05:40 PM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

I believe egg beaters have MSG in them - I could be wrong, but it seems that's why I stopped using them. MSG is a big trigger for a lot of people and sometimes it's hidden in the ingredients under an alias!

Otherwise, you might try eliminating the wheat - it's hard to digest and many people are sensitive to it.

I feel your pain! I could never have roommates again cause I need my private bathroom time. I even have nightmares about sharing a bathroom these. Truthfully, your situation might do me in.

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

#282928 - 09/18/06 05:56 PM
Gracie

You should try more IF that are veggies and fruits. Have you seen Heather's cheat sheet?

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathersibscheatsheet.pdf

I just read your menu &-- new
      #282933 - 09/18/06 06:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just read your sample menu & you're doing everything right.
You've undergone a lot of changes & change is stressful. I know you're active, physically. I also know that you take medications which have a constipating effect. I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas to offer at the moment. I honestly think it's just an IBS-phase/rhythm that you're going through influenced by all the recent changes. Take it one day at a time & don't give up. Do you have a counsellor? It sounds like you really need a pro. that you can mentally download alot of the stuff that is influencing your entire being on all levels. Is it possible to get a counsellor? You sound like you're ready to make some breakthroughs. I know that my IBS is influenced by the tides of change, the cycles of the seasons.

Continued encouragement & HUGS! (yes, HUGS!!!) Oh, I just thought of something: Do the green beans agree with you more than the spinach you used to eat?

Kate, IBS-D.

I agree with Astrochick & Gracie new
      #282935 - 09/18/06 06:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I would eliminate the Raison Bran. Fruits and veggies are more gentle--and fibrous!--than the Raison Bran. Can you add some berries, perhaps? Smoothies are very energizing and gentle. How about making a soup or stew? I have IBS-D and I eat way more IF (although not on attack days & always with a good SF base)!

Kate, IBS-D.

#282953 - 09/18/06 07:59 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

Carrots, I thought they were high in fructose?
What do they do exactly, should I give them a try?

100 gram of carrots contains 3.6 grams sucrose, 0.6 grams glucose and 0.6 grams fructose. It isn't a high fructose vegetable. Also, they have a reasonably good mix of SF and IF - they are IBS friendly

However, 100 grams of apples without the skins contains 1 grams of sucrose, 3.3 grams glucose and 6.1 grams fructose. Similarly, 100 grams of pears contains 0.8 grams of sucrose, 2.8 grams glucose and 6.2 grams fructose. Apples and pears are high fructose fruits.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
[search for apples or pears]

Also some brands of raisin bran and graham crackers contain HFCS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#283083 - 09/19/06 05:38 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!

I spoke with my nutrionist, he has been advocating for a long time acupuncture and I might go ahead with it.

I can not have the perfect birthroom and stress free life, it is not possible, I need to learn to deal with stuff, and acupuncture might help.

I was recommened to go to an acupuncturist and try this http://yinyanghouse.com/tongren/tongren-classes.html#massachusetts

What do you feel?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#283327 - 09/20/06 08:20 PM
Naturapanic

A couple of things I have thought of and have been told to me.

1) Try taking both Benefiber and one serving of Citrucell.
2) Move from Benefiber to Acacia

3) Try Tom Tam Healing, http://www.yinyanghouse.com/
and Acupuncture
OR
4) Try the hypnosis tapes

What do you think of these options?
Should I switch up my supplement, and would trying Acupuncture or Hypnosis be a good thing?
Would it be best to do one at a time, and which one should I try to begin?

My doctor also thought about putting me on Lactulose, but that had lactose and I am lactose intolerant.
I also thought about Sienna for a short time.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#283387 - 09/21/06 09:08 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello,

I understand completely. When I was diagnosed with IBS I said "I can't have that - I do everything right, I exercise, I drink water, (Not enough I found out), I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, I never eat meat, dairy or high fat foods. " All that my speicalst said was "that is a good thing as you would be even worse". I could not have even imagined feeling worse then I had been feeling. Anyway, I understand feeling frustrated with regression. I was sympton free for a very long while and this summer I had an attack and have been trying to stablize ever since. I have not discovered this site and am trying to stabalize with Heather's diet - at least some of they bloating and constipation are diminishing but they are still there at times and I am still having that not emptied feeling.
All I can say is that I totally totally understand and I am now trying not to get upset about it and to just calm down and say "this too shall pass".
You and not alone.
Debbie IBS-C

#283483 - 09/21/06 05:09 PM
Gracie

You need to add more IF to your diet too.

#284409 - 09/28/06 07:20 PM
Sproo25

Reged: 09/28/06

Hey Naturapanic,

Please send me an email at:
hibs[A'T]tempdp2.fastmail.fm

We seem to have had really similar symptoms, I'm curious about your experiences

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 906 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review