All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need to Vent
      #282752 - 09/17/06 10:47 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

My tum is just feeling horrible lately... I have been eating lotsa things I probably shouldn't, but I just get all cocky and think I can eat anything... but surprisingly I think what's giving me the most problems is raisins!! Any of you have a prob with that?
My eating is kinda sporatic and weird lately.. I don't eat full meals and I kind of snack all day, which i think is confusing for my system. And nighttimes are really weird, whereas mornings used to be the worst for me.... I get all bloated and gassy at night, and hungry at the same time... but it feels like my body is trying to digest so I don't want to put too much more food in it... confusing!
It's like, sometimes I'm fine for awhile, then something small will happen and it will throw me off for a week! I try hard not to freak out about it like I used to, and jump to the conclusion that something is REALLY wrong with me... because my weight is fine, I don't have D anymore, I'm never excessively C either.... just varying some days going a lot, some days going a little....
But i get really annoyed with the pain and bloating and stinky gas! that's the tough part, because those things are unpleasant for long periods of time...
and I also get in this mentalitiy like I'm STUCK in this.... like this is my destiny, my life.... I know IBS may never "Go Away," and that it can be controlled and all that stuff... but I just want it to go away sometimes! i look at it from the chinese medicine perspective and I have what they call "dampness" in my digestive track... and sometimes it feels that way, it's really very descriptive.... does anyone else feel kinda damp inside? it's hard to explain but yet it makes so much sense.
bodies are so weird! sometimes i wish i could trade mine (although i have a pretty cute body- i love hot it looks just not how it feels!).... but i also realize that there's ALWAYS something.... everyone has their weaknesses, their places they hold stress... if it doesn't show up now, it will when they are older... i just wish i didnt have this now at age 26... then again i think it has made me a stronger person...
i dunno now i'm just rambling... i'm grateful to have this space to vent and know that i have suppotive people reading this! if this strikes anything for you, please reply!
much love!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to Vent new
      #282762 - 09/18/06 06:08 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Oh, Tinkerbell, I feel your pain and frustration!

You sound a lot like me - I'm not sure what your symptoms are, but for some reason, I feel that we're a lot alike. Some things to consider (if you haven't already - I hate to offer unsolicited advice 'cause you know your body better than anyone else), anyway, eating raisins would do me in - any dried fruit has lots of chemicals (natural and otherwise)in it and is very hard to digest. I can't eat grapes at all- actually any fruit with skin - it doesn't digest and I see it come out the other end looking just like it did going in. I can picture the skin sticking to my intestines, clogging things up or irritating the lining so that my motility stops completely. Thud. Then I feel that feeling you described - that you're hungry, but "full". That food is just building up in my gut and not being processed, yet I'm so hungry! I attribute that feeling to the possibility that I have food in my system, but no nourishment. Since my gut isn't working right, it isn't getting the nutrients it needs, so it's still screaming for more. But piling it on just makes me feel worse.

I am sensitive to any processed food - I don't eat anything in a can, jar, bottle, bag or carton. Yeah, it sucks. I cook all my own food. The bright side is that I'm thin and always will be thin because my diet is so pure. As you mentioned, it's wonderful to feel good about your body - at least the way it looks!

I'm very sensitive to wheat, soy (a killer for me and it's in everything), nuts, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, carbonation... I didn't discover this until I was 34 and it changed my life to eliminate the foods that were making me sick. Even though I still have IBS and still have plenty of issues, I NEVER has gas, NEVER have diarrhea.

Okay, I'm rambling now on a Monday morning. Should get to work. Have a great day!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

#282789 - 09/18/06 08:22 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was just going to post my own "need to vent" message, but I'll just tack onto yours instead!! I totally know how you feel. You think things are going really well and then BAM! You feel like crap for a week. With no indication of what you did wrong. I wish there was a magic cure...

I had a pretty bad weekend. I was feeling good, then DH and I decided to go out to dinner and then to a concert Saturday night. I was very careful with my restaurant choice (we were going to be in Boulder, CO - one of the vegan/vegetarian capitals of the world, IMHO!), so I felt good about that; not nervous at all. We ate somewhere that I knew I could get a yummy vegan meal, which I did. I even took two bags of tummy tea with me, and drank it at the restaurant after I ate. However, within an hour of eating, I was all crampy and bloated and felt AWFUL! I didn't say anything to my hubby because I didn't want to ruin the concert. I popped several bentyl pills, but it still took a few hours before I started feeling better. Then I was C yesterday, and still am today. What's up with this??? I KNOW I didn't eat anything I shouldn't have!! Can I just never eat in a restaurant ever again?? We're supposed to meet some friends from out of town for dinner on Wednesday, and now I'm terrified of eating at a restaurant!!

Thanks for listening...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#282834 - 09/18/06 10:58 AM
shandy

Oh, aren't you funny. I love Alabama actually - I moved here for love and found much more. I like the heat and I live on 4 acres with lots of tree and my own creek with jasmine growing every where. I hate the cold, even the mild Denver winters were miserable for me.

But back to business... I never eat at restaurants. Ever. If I do, I experience exactly what you describe. For me, it's usually soy - My body can't digest soy and if I accidently get even a little bit, I'll have a terrible stomach ache (occasionally D which is unheard of for me) within 20 minutes. Otherwise, I'll be totally locked up (not C, just horribly "incomplete" for a week or longer. Soy is a common allergen, but the soy industry has us all convinced that it's healthy. And it's in Everything.

If you haven't already, you might try getting tested for food sensitivities by a holistic-type practitioner. I am sensitive to wheat, soy, dairy, red meat, nuts, etc. etc. etc. But soy is by far the worst. That's why I don't eat at restaurants - because soy and/or soybean oil is in almost every can, bottle, jar, bag or carton, there's no way to avoid it if someone else cooks for you.

If you've never been sensitive to soy before, it might be sneaking up on you as you <sigh> get older. Or maybe not... just my $0.02!

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#282851 - 09/18/06 12:12 PM
Lisa Marie

I suppose AL sounds more suitable for you than CO... I, however, came from Illinois, so I'm LOVING the mild Colorado winters!! I'll bet your new yard is bigger than mine though...

I have been tested for food ALLERGIES, but I'm guessing that what you're talking about is something different that's not covered by health insurance. Is it? Did you get this done in Denver? If so, anyone you can recommend? I know that I don't have an allergy to soy, but it tends to give me gas, so I don't eat it very often (I say that as I finish my veggie burger lunch!).

Not eating out in restaurants is something my husband and I have always loved to do. And I feel horrible about the fact that our selection has been drastically reduced because of my diet. I guess it's just something I'm not totally willing to give up on... frustrating!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282854 - 09/18/06 12:20 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Would you recommend a move to Colorado? I always thought it had cold winters...but it is so beautiful!

I agree...missing out on restaurants is hard. At work, we go out for lunch to celebrated holidays and birthdays and it is always stressful for me. I try to tell my coworkers that eating out is not pleasurable for me...but they don't get it. Ah, the thought of going to a restaurant and ordering anything just because it sounds yummy! I don't even trust the "safe" foods. I once ordered plain rice and broiled chicken and it came back loaded with butter, spices, oil....who knows what else.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#282875 - 09/18/06 01:14 PM
shandy

Colorado is wonderful. I lived there 12 years before moving to Alabama. I hate the cold, but if you like four seasons, you can't beat the Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs). The summer is dry and not too hot, the fall is glorious, the winter is mild with plenty of 70 degree days. Some snow, but not nearly as much as you think. The spring is the pits, IMO, because it's wet and cold and it can still snow in May.

Do you realize how much money you will save if you don't eat out (there HAS to be a silver lining!) My "entertainment" budget is around $200/year, thanks to my IBS. I agree...I can't even imagine how wonderful it would be to just dig in - and the only thing I'd have to worry about would be gaining a pound or two, or feeling hungover...not in agony for a week.

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#282876 - 09/18/06 01:14 PM
Lisa Marie

YES! Colorado is beautiful and the winters are VERY mild. Don't really get snow until Feb/March. I think I wore my winter coat maybe five times last winter...?

I just emailed my husband and told him how I felt sick Saturday night; he's probably upset now that I didn't tell him THEN, but oh well. When it's actually happening (an attack), it's not something I want to talk about. I want to try to ignore it and hope that it goes away quickly. Especially since we were OUT for a change! We NEVER go anywhere! So I didn't want to ruin anything. I give up on restaurants for the time being. I told DH he's gonna have to find a girlfriend to go out to eat with for awhile.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282877 - 09/18/06 01:16 PM
Lisa Marie

I think the restaurant I miss the most right now is "Le Central"... this amazing French restaurant in Denver. Wow... what I wouldn't give to be able to go there and order ANYTHING I want! And then have dessert!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282878 - 09/18/06 01:18 PM
shandy

I hate talking about feeling sick - it sounds as if I'm whining and there's nothing the DB can do anyway. This morning he asked me if I wanted to go play darts with him tonight (a southern thing)and when I hesitated, he got frustrated. He still doesn't quite understand what it's like to not know how you're going to feel from day-to-day, hour-to-hour. I almost always hedge when invited out and I know it's hard on him.

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review