All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safest green alternative to spinach?
      #282598 - 09/16/06 05:59 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

so for the last while i eat tons of raw spinach as it is the safest green to eat raw, but now with this whole e. coli spinach fiasco i have to avoid it until the all clear is given, so what is the next closest safest green people have been able to eat raw while stable, i mightr do baby romain or aruhula mayne, not sure. BOOOO i was doing really well with raw spinach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safest green alternative to spinach? new
      #282620 - 09/16/06 07:55 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I always buy bagged baby spinach, until recently. I cook it versus eating it raw. Lately, I've been eating lots of swiss chard instead, as well as some kale & beet greens. It sounds like you're after a salad green alternative. Perhaps try baby romaine or mache or arugula (I love arugula cooked or blended with spinach in a sauce/pesto) or mesculn. Red leaf lettuce is pretty delicate & vitamin rich as well. Boston lettuce is delightful, as well, as a salad green.

Kate, IBS-D.

#282626 - 09/16/06 09:00 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

can you eat the swiss chard or kale raw? i know spinach raw agrees with me, so maybe arugula i will try since it is also a soft salad green, we shall see, time for me to branch out on my greens, i eat quite a variety of everything else, but leafy greens i have been scared of as they used to cause serious gas for me.

#282634 - 09/17/06 03:38 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I usually eat a lot of raw spinach, but lately I've been eating baby romaine. It sits pretty well with me.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282655 - 09/17/06 10:08 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Baby chard is often in mesculn. The regular bunched swiss chard might be too coarse for raw salads. I don't recommend it. I think your best bet might be the mesculn--it contains a blend of funky ultra-healthy high nutrient baby greens (usually there's arugula in mesculn, too). Arugula is a mustard green & very peppery in flavour. I always found it too intense to eat it (arugula) on its own; it gave me rude breath--the kind of breath that eating raw broccoli gave me in pre-major IBS days. Seriously, I'd go for red leaf or mache (lamb's lettuce is heavenly, high nutrient, and light!) or meculn or romaine/baby romaine.

Kate, IBS-D.

Beet greens new
      #282699 - 09/17/06 05:24 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I sure wish you could get just beet greens. The tops of one set of beets is about enough for one serving when cooked. I found out I really loved these. I like the beets too, but they go way further.

#283000 - 09/19/06 07:58 AM
demo

Reged: 08/15/06
Loc: New York

does baby romaine have the husks in it? i think that bothers my stomach. also, mesclun always gives me problems.

#283022 - 09/19/06 09:20 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I don't even know what the husks are. I just buy a package of baby romaine mix. It's just leaves...a mix of red/purple and green. It's very soft and seems to sit well with me. It's not harsh like iceberg or head lettuce.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review