All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Earth Island Vegan Cheese?
      #282507 - 09/16/06 06:39 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Earth Island Vegan Cheese - I have and it is very good - melts very well and totally casein free. Now I need help looking at the fat content. It is 4.5 g per 30 gr of cheese. Is this considered safe? It melts absolutely great over pasta. You just shred it and add a bit of soymilk in the post with the pasta and stir away until melted. It is really nice on pizza also - the mozzerlla kind. I am new so if this a high fat content, please excuse my suggestion of using it. Debbie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Earth Island Vegan Cheese? new
      #282509 - 09/16/06 06:54 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

just use sparingly and it should be fine, but somone else may give you the proper breakdown, i am bad with numbers. the thing with cheese alternatives is that they are basically made from oil so they will be high fat, but just use a little and you should be ok.

#282542 - 09/16/06 10:52 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Is eating a couple of slices of rice cheese daily safe for IBS-C? Can it make C worst? What's the best cheese to eat soy free?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

#282552 - 09/16/06 01:02 PM
Miso

i loved the rice cheese, till i figured out that it had casein and butterfat in it, but it didn't seem to bug me, it is fairly low fat ish and if you mean the pre wrapped slices i would have 1 a day, if you mean the blocks then 3-4 little slices should be good, it tastes so yummy, i find all soy cheese has a nasty aftertaste.

#282557 - 09/16/06 01:22 PM
Abigail

Thank you Miso! What cheese do you recomend for IBS-C soy free and casein free?

--------------------

#282560 - 09/16/06 01:50 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I LOVE the taste of rice cheese, but most of them contain dairy (casein). Therefore, it gave me really bad gas and bloating. I guess it depends on how sensitive to dairy you are. I'm quite sensitive.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#282584 - 09/16/06 03:59 PM
Miso

vegan rella is th eonly one, it is completely vegan so no caseina nd it is made with rice and oat milk, it is a bit bland, but thats what we get for being special right. Most people either love it or hate it. It doesn't melt like the earth island one but more turns to goo, it is best used in recipes rather than eaten straight from the block, so in a lasagna or tortilla wrap for example. The brand is widely available, same company as tofurella, but that one has casein and is soy. its comes in cheddar and mozza.

#282592 - 09/16/06 05:34 PM
feelinggood

Hi, I believe that Galaxy just came out with a vegan casein free rice cheese - slices are the ones that I saw. Debbie, Ontario, Canada

#282593 - 09/16/06 05:35 PM
feelinggood

Earth Island has no casein as it is vegan. Also Galaxy has a rice cheese that has no casein - I saw the slices today. Debbie

#282595 - 09/16/06 05:52 PM
Miso

to my knowledge the galaxy one, which tastes amazing is soy free and lactose free, but not casein free and it also contains butterfat, which is a shame because the butterfat is a fairly recent addition and because the stuff tastes amazing.

#282630 - 09/16/06 10:00 PM
Abigail

Thank you Miso! I went to Whole Food today I bought me a vegan soy free, casein free cheese. I can't remember the name right now, but I will try it tomorrow and let you know. I also bought me some pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I need to gain lots of weight, but I need to start feeling for that.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Abi new
      #282639 - 09/17/06 07:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Could you post the brand name when you get a chance? I can't find one that is soy and casein free.

Let me know how you handle the seeds. How much are you going to start with (after removing the hull)? Do they sell them dehulled or do you have to do that part yourself?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Abi new
      #282652 - 09/17/06 09:55 AM
Miso

buy seeds dehulled already, raw and in the fridge if your HFS carries them that way.
The only casein soy free cheese i have found is veganrella

#282662 - 09/17/06 11:19 AM
Chel

Reged: 06/08/06

Mmm, Galaxy.

Ok, it's the only thing available here that's easily accessed. I have known it has casein and butter fat but it for a little while, but it doesn't seem to bother me if everything else is dairy free and I haven't overdone it in any other area (fats are the worst thing for me at this point... mostly because I have been relatively dairy free/almost veg for years.)

I use a single slice of 'cheese' on a vegan veggie burger from time to time (maybe 2x a month), the parmesan substitute on a salad or in a wrap... and my other dairy affected family members seem to do ok on it as well (it also appears to be yummy enough the people who CAN eat the real stuff often choose not to just because it's better for them) and SOMETIMES I melt the cheddar shreds over chips and eat them with salsa. It doesn't taste remotely close to nachos, but it's been so long since I've had real nachos, I'm happy.

I am excited to hear about the possibility of rice cheese and I see they also have a vegan line of products... while I don't miss cheese, it's nice to have a little bit of extra cheesy flavor from time to time.

I admit to having a bit of a panic every time I decide to go for the Galaxy 'cheese' b/c I know it's not dairy free...

Re: Jordy new
      #282668 - 09/17/06 12:01 PM
Abigail

The cheese I bought yesterday is Vegan Rella cheddar style. As Miso said, its the only one I found casein free, No dairy and soy free.
I only ate a little of pumpkin and sunflower seeds mix yesterday, I hope they agree with me. I want to be able to eat a healthy snack high in fat. I need to gain weight.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2374

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review