All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much reflux is "ok"?
      #281840 - 09/12/06 12:18 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have reflux occasionally (it started a while after my IBS-D got bad about a year ago). How much problems can you have without having to take medication against the reflux? I read that reflux medicines can give problems with digestion and make IBS worse (info provided by the pharmacies in Sweden).

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much reflux is "ok"? new
      #281852 - 09/12/06 01:04 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Occasionally probably isn't a concern. If you constantly have a bad taste in your mouth or burning at the back of your throat, I'd see a doctor about it.

Most of the PPIs for reflux can make D worse (as I can personally attest). I was on Aciphex for awhile and loved it -- no side effects whatsoever. Because of the expense, though, I decided to try getting along without it and just using Zantac (you can get it OTC or in a stronger prescription form). The Zantac hasn't been enough for awhile now, though, so I have an appointment to talk to my doctor about getting back on Aciphex. I would try using something mild like Zantac before going for a stronger med like Nexium -- but do it under your doctor's watch.

I find that reflux can actually give me D -- or make it worse if I've already got it. My stomach just isn't happy with all that acid churning around.

To battle reflux w/o meds ... make sure you've always got food in your stomach, and avoid the usual GERD triggers -- peppermint, chocolate, tomatoes, etc. (A website for meds like Nexium or Prilosec usually have pretty good lists.) A lot of GERD triggers are also IBS triggers so you probably wouldn't be eating them anyway. I also found that bananas are great if you're feeling acid-y -- but take care with the ripeness, since green bananas can cause C and very ripe bananas can cause D. (I eat them when they're just barely yellow and that's safest for me.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#281857 - 09/12/06 01:42 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Is it because the really ripe bananas contain a lot of fructose that they can cause D? What about Heather's banana bread where you're supposed to use brown bananas?!

Thanks for your reply!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281859 - 09/12/06 01:43 PM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

I'm taking ranitidine that my doctor prescribed. I have had only beneficial results. If you are wary of using a prescription strength, they also offer an over the counter dosage. My wife takes that and it works well for her.

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

#281883 - 09/12/06 04:27 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm not sure why exactly really ripe bananas can cause D ... I just know that it happens to me and it's common for other people to. There have been a couple threads about this in the past.

As far as Heather's banana bread ... to be honest, I tried this twice and both times it didn't turn out. I did use ultra-black bananas as the recipe says, but I baked it for hours and it would never set. My favorite banana bread recipe is this one from the recipe index. I was usually okay with it, but if I wasn't feeling well it wasn't the safest choice. I did use white flour instead of whole wheat and subbed egg whites for the whole eggs; I also omitted the pecans. I haven't made it in ages because I used to make it so much I got sick of it.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#281932 - 09/12/06 10:44 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

try taking l-glutamine capsules to help with the muscle and healing of the intestines and valves that prevent reflux.

#281933 - 09/12/06 10:46 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the problem with all the PPI and antacids etc is that they neutralize acid and therefore inhibit digestion which just makes things worse in the long run, you are better off with digestive enzymes and l-glutamine to strengthen the muscles of your entire digestive system, you can also take DGL which is a special type of licorice.

#281960 - 09/13/06 07:04 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

I've been taking Nexium for my reflux. Ran out about 2 months ago and been hurting. Just hate going to my doc. Friend set me up with some products that I'm still exparimenting with.

DGL
Digestive enzymes
Ginger
Ginger Honey Crystals (drink)
Slippery Elm (Powder for tea)
Acidophilus (milk free chewable)

Taking one acidophilus before every meal. Do not chew. Suck on it till its gone. Same with DGL after each meal. (3 times a day.) 1 or 2 digestive enzimes before meals. The rest I don't take every day. And still trying to find powdered elm the pills are too expencive for such a small amount and you break them into hot water anyway.

I have not tried l-glutamine. I may pick that up to add to my suplements.

Can check out this site for more info on GERD.
web page

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1573 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review