All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How to get slow bowels, will Heather's diet do this?
      #281805 - 09/12/06 11:02 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have IBS-D. As I have understood it, following Heather's diet will if 100 % successful give you soft but formed stool. Is that right?

Now the problem with me is that I've had TM (paralysis) that has left me with a nerve damaged sphincter, which means I need the stools to be pretty firm and dry (though not too bad of course) in order to feel confident. It's simply harder for me than for a person with normal sphincter to hold back BM. I simply want it to not come out when I don't want it to, and to come out when I do want it to, even if that requires some pushing.

I take loperamide daily to slow the bowels down. But can I follow Heather's diet exactly or should I do anything different since I want my bowels to be a bit slow rather than to produce a soft but formed stool?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to get slow bowels, will Heather's diet do this? new
      #281814 - 09/12/06 11:18 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I am ibs-d and have been on Heaher's diet from the end of last year. Before that it was very bad. Now I take one or two imodium tablets in the morning before work, and some days when I am off I safely pass up the imodium. This diet and acacia fiber has been a blessing.

By staying on the diet my bms have dried up to where it is possible to have some control over when I go, and not worry (too much) of where the closet bathroom is.

Hope that answers some of your question.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#281842 - 09/12/06 12:23 PM
Ulrika

Well, you seem to point out exactly what I think the problem is. You say it dries it up for you enough that you have some control over it.

My fiancé has bowel problems some times but he can hold it in quite a while until he gets to a bathroom whereas I can't. Some people on these boards would probably call what I think is ideal for me to be constipated. I really need it to be pretty hard and dry to a) help keeping it in and b) make sure it's not a disaster if I didn't get to a bathroom in time so to speak.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281856 - 09/12/06 01:37 PM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

I use to be the same as you, in that when I felt the need to go it was already very close too being to late. I have less control with my own sphincter. Once I followed the diet recommendations it got better. Then I started using the Acacia and it improved even more. By the time I added the peppermint tea, the problem pretty much had gone away. I still have the occasional panic attack but it is so infrequent I simply don't think about the problem anymore. Good luck!

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

Edited by Stonegate (09/12/06 01:39 PM)

#281861 - 09/12/06 02:15 PM
Double J

Staying on the diet and only eating what's good for my system, and trying not to stress out ... well, sometimes I am surprised how firm my bms can get. I hope that it works for you!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#281869 - 09/12/06 03:02 PM
Ulrika

Ok, thanks. I need to take loperamide every day to keep my IBS under control but at least the diet should be ok, although I need the loperamide too. (Have been on Heather's diet for a couple of months soon, but was following it before too except I then ate dairy products too.)

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281886 - 09/12/06 05:26 PM
Double J

Absolutely no dairy ... it's a real trigger. And I too, still take a couple of imodiums daily.

--------------------

#281934 - 09/12/06 10:50 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Try taking 3500 mg of l-glutamine per day, 1/2 forst thing in the morning and the other half right before bed, l-glutamine improves digestive system muscle tone and function and heals GI inflammation, it has worked wonders for me,

#281937 - 09/12/06 11:56 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I don't think following the diet can hurt! Continue to take your loperamide and follow the diet and you should, with any luck, see your BMs become less and less liquid filled. It does take some time, but I think if you are diligent and patient it will be worth the effort!

Edited by AmandaM (09/12/06 11:57 PM)

#281967 - 09/13/06 07:36 AM
Ulrika

Hmmm, but if you have D and bowel cramping is it really good to increase the muscle tone of the GI system? I mean I take a medication (loperamide) to decrease motility and the use of peppermint tea is supposed to relax the bowel muscles...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

What is glutamine? new
      #281989 - 09/13/06 09:06 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

IS glutamine over the counter or prescription?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review