Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Frustrated: need vegetarian protein suggestions new
      #282418 - 09/15/06 11:47 AM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

Lisa Marie,
Eating lots of PB can be a good source of protein for you, but the type of PB is important. Avoid the standard PB brands like Skippy and Jif. Get the "old fashioned" PB.

Skippy and Jif remove the valuable peanut oil from the PB and substitute other oils and fillers to make it smoother and non-separating. Peanut oil is one of the 'good' oils.

Old fashioned peanut butter leaves in the peanut oil, so it separates if it isn't stirred up and kept in the fridge. I think Laura Scudders and Smuckers makes old fashioned PB.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#282428 - 09/15/06 01:03 PM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

I've really been enjoying an 'organic' crunchy peanut butter this week. Ingredients: peanuts, palm oil. Have been wanting to try some nut butters (need some high fat as trying to put on weight) but have found this one to be the cheapest. I have been enjoying MARMITE with peanut butter on white toast, followe by marmite and HUMMUS on white toast and a small amount of oat milk. This is my bedtime snack, with a banana, which (apart from a bit of D)SEEMS to be going down pretty well. I can just sit and smell the peanut butter and feel, mmm, just yummy. Same goes for marmite (I buy a reduced salt version) Sooo good

#282433 - 09/15/06 01:57 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Thanks for the great info! I have to admit to being a bit "scared" by the PB that separates, but I will give it a shot. Do the "old fashioned" kinds tend to have more or less fat in them than the Skippy/Jif kinds?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#282475 - 09/15/06 06:44 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

also try oatmeal as a bed time snack, 1 instant packet of natures path organic oatmeal has 6 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat and is so soothing, i then add a 1/4 cup frozen blueberries and 4 walnut halves, i have this most nights and it seems to be helping me to gain weight, the nightime snacks really help. I just make sure its 2 hours before bed so that i am not still trying to digest when i lie down to sleep.

#282478 - 09/15/06 06:46 PM
Miso

try to get natural ones, they should contain nothing but the ground roasted nut, no added oil or anything, almond butter is amazing, so is cashew when you want something lucious, there is also hazlenut and macadamia nut and then blends of various ones, the seed butters are also good on veggies, whereas i find th enut butters go better with fruit.

#282504 - 09/16/06 02:24 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Its around the same fat. My nutritonist said that in the grand scheme of things even jiff is healthy and really not that much of a diff from natural.Its like organic fruit vs reg almost. I can't stand the floating oil in natural but I think it is what your used to.Also mixing pb in oatmeal is yum for an ideas.

#282567 - 09/16/06 02:13 PM
Lisa Marie

The last thing I want to do is gain weight!! Besides, oats are on my "no-no" list; they give me really bad gas, unfortunately. I used to LOVE eating oatmeal every morning...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282569 - 09/16/06 02:17 PM
Lisa Marie

I bought my first jar of "natural" PB yesterday. Yay! I'm starting slow... i ended up dumping out the excess oil that had settled, and it still tasted fine!

I remember someone (you, Miso?) mentioning that seeds are easier to digest than nuts. Does that go for PB too, or is digesting PB not usually an issue? I just know that high fat things are a trigger for me, so I have to be careful about that, too.

I looked for the nutribiotic rice protein powder yesterday, too, but my HFS was all sold out. I'm going to try another store tomorrow.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#282582 - 09/16/06 03:55 PM
Miso

PB is individual since it is a legume, i just like almond butter better, seems to go down better for me, but since peanut butter is already a butter it has better chances than if it were straight peanuts of digesting without issues.

Re: Almond butter new
      #282621 - 09/16/06 07:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I like the MaraNantha Raw Almond Butter best. You can incorporate it into some fabulous sauces for grains, perhaps?

Kate, IBS-D, vegan.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 587 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14854

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review