All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatmeal packets
      #281573 - 09/10/06 08:42 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I have a bunch of packets of instant oatmeal but they are not plain...they're flavored (apple cin., brown sugar,)...also I have some Nutrition for Women individual packets. Are these off limits...does it have to be just regular Quaker Oats?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatmeal packets new
      #281581 - 09/11/06 04:58 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Read the ingredients. If there's dairy in it, don't eat it. I don't recall if flavored oatmeal has high fructose corn syrup, but that's another ingredient some IBS folks have to watch out for.

If you do use plain Quaker Oats (regular or instant are both safe), there are ways to dress it up. I make mine with soy milk instead of water and almost always add a half cup of peaches or pears. Once in awhile, I use a banana instead or throw in a few strawberries or blue berries with the peaches/pears.

#281608 - 09/11/06 08:49 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Taken from the Quaker oatmeal site http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/instantQuakerOatmeal/familyFavorites/product.cfm?productid=15#divIngredients

Ingredients in apple cinamon:
WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS (WITH OAT BRAN), SUGAR, DEHYDRATED APPLES (TREATED WITH SULFUR DIOXIDE, SODIUM SULFITE, AND SODIUM BISULFITE TO PROMOTE COLOR RETENTION), SALT, CINNAMON, CALCIUM CARBONATE (A SOURCE OF CALCIUM), NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, GUAR GUM, NIACINAMIDE*, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, FOLIC ACID* *ONE OF THE B VITAMINS

I eat these packs every day and do fine with them. My favorite is the cinnamon roll.

--------------------
Kat

#281695 - 09/11/06 05:34 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

The maple & brown sugar is my morning staple....I don't have any problems with it. But I do make it with water and not milk.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#281726 - 09/12/06 05:06 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I make it with soy milk only because that way I know I'm getting a calcium/"dairy" serving right off the bat.

#281729 - 09/12/06 06:33 AM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

I eat this stuff every day -- I use water and make it in the microwave -- much better than pouring boiling water over. Check ingredient lists for your personal triggers. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 674

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review