All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
grocery store dilemas
      #281494 - 09/10/06 07:14 AM

Unregistered

well i finally took the initiative to write up a list and go to the grocery store and change my diet, i live with my dad, i'm in high school, and i go with him to pick up groceries, well things went bad...
Everytime he thought something looked good for me, i had to tell him, no dad, i can't have that. The worst part was when we were by the milk, he says, hey this is on sale, then i said, no dad, i have to get the more expensive soy milk(there was a bunch of added sugar and such in it, it was chocolate he was grabbing, and it wasn't organic)Well he got really pissed off because i kept taking it out of the cart and grabbing the silk organic(half gallon) because it was $5!woa) I felt really bad. We were at the cereals, there's was this cherio kind of cereal, it was multigrain, i wasn't sure about it so i just said, no dad, and i had to tell him 3 times i couldn't have it. Well i wanted deli turkey, he buys some cheap thick stuff that says its lean, but its not,well i ate it later, and i think it made my stomach hurt. There was some rice cakes on sale, but the problem was they were all flavored, such as caramel, I wanted plain ones, well i had to pass on the sale because they didn't carry them. It was horrible, he left flustered, i left depressed.
Is it ok to eat rice cakes if they have funky flavors? Also, corn flakes are ok right, what about a grahm cracker cereal with honey? Are turkey hot dogs ok? Also things such as the fakin bacon, what health food stores carry, there is no health store in this town, a grocery store and wal-mart.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: grocery store dilemas new
      #281506 - 09/10/06 08:27 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I'm sorry you had a hard time. I'm still confused about the diet so hopefully others can help you but you shouldn't feel bad. I do know its hard being on a budget but you have to think of this as taking care of yourself its just like if you needed meds. Hang in there.

changing your diet without spending a lot new
      #281509 - 09/10/06 09:11 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I know how you feel -- I also got sticker shock the first time I tried to shop for "special" foods. It's also very hard and dismaying at first to try and read ingredients to figure out what's okay.

To answer your specific questions:

- rice cakes: some of them may be safe -- you'll need to read the ingredient list. I think many of the Quaker rice cake flavors have dairy. (The peanut butter chocolate chip ones are fabulous but they do have dairy.) Some rice cakes are also made with brown rice, which might bother you if you're still very sensitive. Another thing to check for is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and artificial sweeteners.
- cereal: Cornflakes might be okay, but corn does have some insoluble fiber (IF), so if you're still stabilizing you might have a hard time eating it first thing. You also need to check the ingredient list for dairy or HFCS. Same goes for the graham cereal -- graham crackers are partially made with whole wheat flavor, which is insoluble fiber and must be handled with care.
- turkey hot dogs: The only turkey hot dogs I've found that are safe are Ballpark smoked white turkey franks. You can recognize them by the green label and the exorbitant price. I've never found a Wal-Mart that carries them, but our SuperTarget does and they often go on sale for $2.50 a package, which is more palatable for me.
- bacon: I've never tried any fake bacons so I'm not sure about this. When I do use turkey bacon, I use Jennie-O's extra-lean turkey bacon. It doesn't do much for me crumbled in recipes, but if you nuke it in the microwave until it gets crispy it's pretty good eaten alone or on bread.

(If you are in doubt of a food -- the best thing to do is to post the ingredient list and the numbers of calories & grams of fat per serving. From that someone should be able to tell you if it looks do-able.)

I'd recommend starting out slow with the new foods, though -- start yourself on a basic diet and start adding new foods in slowly. It's boring, but it's a good way to know your limitations and your triggers.

There are some "borderline" triggers that may or may not bother everyone. For example, some people are very sensitive to preservatives, or caisenate (milk protein found in "non-dairy" foods such as coffee creamer, Cool Whip, fake cheese), or carrageen (a thickener often used in soy/rice milks or ice cream). Some people can't tolerate soy, others are fine with it. A low-fat chicken/turkey meat from the prepackaged section might be totally fine with some people, others might not be able to handle it. It's all a matter of the whole annoying "personal triggers" thing, and something you can't know except by trial and error.

So, you may not necessarily require organic milk. If you go non-organic, you should usually be able to find a carton of soy milk (in the refrigerated section) for less than $3. I usually use Rice Dream vanilla (not enriched, which bothers me) for my fake milk. It's half the size of the soy milk cartons and it's usually around $1.89, which does make it more expensive than the soy milk. However, I don't use much milk, so it's easier for me to get the 32 oz cartons. To cut down on the expense even further, I often will use water or applesauce in recipes where it calls for milk. (This won't work in all recipes.) I usually only use milk for eating cereal.

I am a very budget-conscious person so here are my strategies for grocery-shopping:

1. Learn to cook. I know most people don't like to do it, but it's a valuable skill, and hey, you may end up liking it after all. You will never be able to feed yourself as cheaply as you can if you cook your meals. It's also tough for a person with IBS to find many pre-prepared foods that are safe.

2. Get the grocery ads every week and stock up on stuff that's on sale. (But don't stock up on something until you're sure it doesn't make you sick.) Learn which stores are cheaper for which items. I frequent three different grocery stores because of this. It feels frustrating and unproductive at first, but eventually it becomes second-nature. (Don't get suckered into buying a membership at a "warehouse" type place (like Sam's Club) unless you're positive the price difference will make up for the membership. I sat down one day to see if we saved enough money to justify paying $40 each year for the membership, and we didn't.)

3. Use the search button at the top of the page to check out other threads in the past where people have asked for quick, low-cost food ideas -- in particular, you might want to search for college students.

4. Always buy generic if possible. As with anything, always check the ingredient list to make sure it's IBS-safe.

5. and finally, here are some of the more inexpensive things I buy regularly:

- canned tuna (in water -- I buy generic)
- eggs for the egg whites (it's cheaper to just throw out the yolks than to buy Eggbeaters)
- skinless boneless chicken breast (always wait for a sale - I can usually get them for less than $2/lb)
- bulk russet potatoes
- fresh bananas
- fresh carrots
- canned baked beans (make sure they say they're vegetarian, or check the label to see if they contain pork)
- canned fat-free refried beans
- instant mashed potatoes for when I'm feeling really sick and lazy (I make them with all hot water instead of the hot water/milk mixture the package recommends, and I don't add margarine) - check package to make sure there is no dairy
- white bread (nearly every brand will have high fructose corn syrup and/or dairy -- check the bakery for French bread, since it usually doesn't contain either and is fairly inexpensive. You can also learn how to make your own, which is what I do, but that might be daunting if you don't already know how to cook)
- pure maple syrup for pancakes (generic is usually fairly inexpensive -- don't get the cheapest syrup, because it often is comprised of mainly HFCS)
- low-fat Bisquick (green box, says "heart-healthy" or somesuch on it) so you can make pancakes or biscuits quickly (this isn't exactly cheap, per se, but it's a great time saver if you're exhausted and you're sick of mashed potatoes)
- reduced-fat peanut butter (I use a little bit on bread, fat-free crackers, or fat-free/low-fat tortillas)
- fat-free saltines to eat on empty stomach
- regular saltines (they typically have 25% calories from fat, which for some people is too high for an empty stomach -- but I buy both because I can buy ultra-cheap generic regular saltines, and the FF ones are usually nearly $2 per box)
- raisins (eat with caution)
- plain frozen French fries (you can sometimes find a generic brand that's low-fat enough to be eaten on an empty stomach - Ore-Ida brand is too high in fat, so don't even bother)
- applesauce (the big jars are way cheaper than the individual cups, but you need to make sure you will actually eat it all -- Wal-Mart generic brand carries a no-sugar-added kind that's safe, no HFCS) (applesauce is also great for cooking)
- white rice (not instant (it might take you a few tries to learn how to make a decent batch of steamed rice -- you'll need to have a pot with a properly-fitting lid, or I thnk the microwave rice cooker things are pretty cheap)) (if you are a C, you might want to try brown rice instead)
- spaghetti
- spaghetti sauce -- there are several safe jar kinds, or several good recipes in the recipe index. The safe kinds are almost always brand names, so wait for a sale or try to find coupons in your local paper. "bad" stuff to check for would be dairy (usually cheese) or high fructose corn syrup. You might not be able to tolerate tomatoes at first, either. Spaghetti sauces are often higher in fat, but usually once you add the pasta it lowers it to a safe level. I use one standard jar of sauce (25 oz?) for every 8 oz of spaghetti.
- boxed cereal (I like the "unhealthy" sugary stuff so I can't taste the fake milk -- things like generic Lucky Charms, Apple Jacks, Cap'N Crunch, etc. Be careful as some cereals have too much IF to be safe, especially first thing in the morning, and some cereals also contain dairy or high fructose corn syrup -- check the ingredients)

I have D when I'm having digestive problems, so as you can tell I don't eat a whole lot of IF. (bad girl) If you're a C, you'll want to make sure you're following others' recommendations on the best way to get more IF in your diet.

The health food store is a great place to have all sorts of substitutions that seem like tantalizing subs for food you can't have -- but nearly everything is incredibly expensive and most of it tastes pretty nasty. But, a lot of the ice cream subs are usually very good. Still expensive and still maybe not completely safe (high-fat, or has HFCS), but in small doses most people can tolerate them. My favorite is Soy Decadent Cookie Avalanche -- just like cookies-and-cream ice cream. Mmmm. Haagen Dazs low-fat chocolate sorbet is safe and Wal-Mart usually carries it, so you can try that too.

It would be very helpful if your dad could read "Eating for IBS" -- or even Heather's cheat sheet might help. Let him know that your "special diet" doesn't need to be a high-cost one. It's also even more helpful if you can convince other family members to at least sort of follow the diet with you. For instance, your dad can still buy regular milk, but maybe both of you could have the same IBS-safe dinner. This is what my husband and I do and it works great for us.

I also highly recommend making a grocery list *before* you go to the store. What's even better is to make a meal plan of what you're going to have every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That way you don't end up with a bunch of miscellaneous ingredients and no dinner. I also like to have a few "emergency" meals in reserve for when I'm too tired to contemplate actually cooking (usually spaghetti from a jar).

I'd also invest in a set of tupperware so you can take your lunches with you and so you can freeze leftovers for eating on the weekends or nights when no one wants to cook and you're sick of spaghetti.

Okay, that was sort of a novel, but I hope that helps. I do a lot of cooking so I don't eat much prepackaged stuff, but I do know that others do, so as I said before, if you do some searching you should be able to find more suggestions.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: changing your diet without spending a lot new
      #281520 - 09/10/06 10:24 AM

Unregistered

Thank you very much, can't get too much info, i printed this off.
i am in a limited area with 2 grocery stores, there are only 2 brands of soy milk, continent premium soymilk and silk, i drank the continent one, that one gave me bad trapped gas, spasms, and made my stomache hurt some, but maybe it was because it was chocolate(still don't think i can handle the white, this brand looked kinda cheap), i told my dad i didn't want it, and silk organic, stuff here is expensive and limited.
I didn't see any other brands of rice cakes except quaker and all they had was funky flavors. What kind of potatoes are ok to eat, all of them? i told my dad to get sweet potatoes, but he said there were potatoes at the house, i said never mind, forget potatoes. Are black beans ok? that's what i have here at the house...That Jennies O's bacon, i've never seen that in the grocery store here.
All i have is white minutes rice, and a lot of it. Is brown minute rice ok? So i hear wheat is good, then i hear wheat is bad, How do i know when i walk into a grocery store and picko out some wheat item, if i can have it or not? Should i eat white or wheat stuff?
No health food store, unless i can go drive 4 hours to another town, nope. Maybe there is a healthstore online i can shop at?

#281537 - 09/10/06 12:32 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

Wheat is fine, it's whole wheat you need to look out for. When you see wheat bread, that is whole wheat. It'll say right on the ingredients. This really confused me at first too. Many safe foods are made with wheat flour - so don't be frightened by the word wheat (unless you have Celiacs, which you should be tested for if you haven't been already).

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

#281564 - 09/10/06 06:24 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

i am in a limited area with 2 grocery stores, there are only 2 brands of soy milk, continent premium soymilk and silk, i drank the continent one, that one gave me bad trapped gas, spasms, and made my stomache hurt some, but maybe it was because it was chocolate(still don't think i can handle the white, this brand looked kinda cheap), i told my dad i didn't want it, and silk organic, stuff here is expensive and limited. Was it 8th Continent? I actually liked it much better than Silk, but I stopped drinking it because they use Splenda (sucralose) to sweeten the low-fat/fat-free milk, and artificial sweeteners are a huge IBS trigger. That might have been your problem. They also use plain fructose -- too much of that can also be problematic for people w/ IBS. And, of course, soy in general can be rough on your stomach at first if you're not used to drinking it. If you're new to the diet, I would definitely not just drink a whole glass of it plain -- try it on cereal, or in recipes first. I would especially not drink it on an empty stomach. Rice milk is found in 32-oz cartons -- it's not in the refrigerated section, so it's easy to miss. Is your Wal-Mart a Super Wal-Mart? If so, they should have Rice Dream. I find it can be difficult to find at Wal-Mart -- it's usually shelved in the same spot as Atkins diet and South Beach diet stuff, typically somewhere around the cereal aisle. Sometimes it's carried in the baking aisle, next to powdered milk, cans of condensed/evaporated milk, etc.

I didn't see any other brands of rice cakes except quaker and all they had was funky flavors. The Quaker Oats rice cakes are made of whole-grain brown rice, so I'd be careful (i.e. don't eat on an empty stomach, cushion with SF first). Otherwise, the Apple Cinnamon ingredient list looks okay (does list fructose if that ends up being a problem), but the other flavors all seem to have dairy.

What kind of potatoes are ok to eat, all of them? Potatoes are a great source of soluble fiber -- they should all be safe. The skins are insoluble fiber, however, so if you prefer to use the skins as well go easy on them at first.

Are black beans ok? Beans in general are iffy. Canned beans are mushy enough that most people can tolerate them. Having said that, beans are notorious for causing gas even in non-IBS people, so go slow with them -- eat a very small portion at a time after a soluble fiber base, and gradually increase your intake each time. I think some people on the boards also use Beano to help w/ gas.

That Jennies O's bacon, i've never seen that in the grocery store here. I can find it at many stores here (I live in Iowa), so take a look next time at the store -- could be they carry it and you just haven't noticed.

All i have is white minutes rice, and a lot of it. Is brown minute rice ok? Minute rice is fine. It's more expensive, which is why I don't buy it. Brown rice is OK ... BUT, it's insoluble fiber, so while it may be "OK", you need to be careful in the manner in which you consume it.

So i hear wheat is good, then i hear wheat is bad, How do i know when i walk into a grocery store and picko out some wheat item, if i can have it or not? Should i eat white or wheat stuff? Actually ... "white" bread IS wheat bread. What you need to be careful with is *whole* wheat. Whole grains are insoluble fiber, and while IF is NOT BAD and in fact necessary for good health, IBS-ers need to take care in the manner in which they eat it. Don't worry about being able to tell the difference -- these days if it's at all whole-grain, the manufacturer will brag about it! So, the bread or product will be labeled "whole grain bread" or "whole wheat bread". If it just says "wheat bread", look at the ingredient list and if "whole wheat flour" is listed anywhere in the ingredient list, you'll probably want to take a pass on it, at least for now.

No health food store, unless i can go drive 4 hours to another town, nope. Maybe there is a healthstore online i can shop at? I'm sure you can find some stuff online, but you don't HAVE to have a health food store to use Heather's diet. I hardly ever used to go the HFS, only when I had a wicked craving for Soy Decadent ice cream. You can definitely eat IBS-safe without having to frequent health food stores.

Hope that helps -- I hope your next shopping trip goes better. I promise you, it WILL get easier.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#281571 - 09/10/06 08:30 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm joining in on the confusion about wheat/whole wheat/whole grain,etc., etc...Okay, so whole wheat bread or other is bad, but I just got this Oatmeal bread that lists the first ingredient as "unbromated, unbleached enriched wheat flour"...is that okay b/c it doesn't have the words whole and wheat together? Before going to this sight, I had a bowl of this new Special K protein plus which has wheat bran as the first ingredient but then whole grain wheat as another ingredient. I had a bad IBS-D day but it could have been the milk too (didn't know Lactaid was off limits). Please clear up....I'm thinking whole oat is okay and then the word wheat by itself is okay??? AaaaHHH! Also, what is the best recommended sandwhich bread to buy (general supermarket please)...so that I can use it for simple sandwhiches. thanks!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#283726 - 09/24/06 11:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I'm joining in on the confusion about wheat/whole wheat/whole grain,etc., etc...Okay, so whole wheat bread or other is bad, but I just got this Oatmeal bread that lists the first ingredient as "unbromated, unbleached enriched wheat flour"...is that okay b/c it doesn't have the words whole and wheat together?
Basically, yes, you're absolutely right. Whole grains are IF so they should be eaten carefully and cannot serve as your soluble fiber base. Anytime you see "whole wheat" you're looking at IF. I'm not sure what "unbromated" means, but "unbleached" is fine. It may even be better, because it should mean fewer chemicals were used to process the flour.
Before going to this sight, I had a bowl of this new Special K protein plus which has wheat bran as the first ingredient but then whole grain wheat as another ingredient. I had a bad IBS-D day but it could have been the milk too (didn't know Lactaid was off limits).
I'm sure the milk didn't help, but the cereal is IF, too. What makes whole grains whole is that the bran and the germ are included. Unwhole grains have the bran and usually the germ removed. So with "wheat bran" as the first ingredient, you're getting the toughest IF in the grain.
Please clear up....I'm thinking whole oat is okay and then the word wheat by itself is okay???
This is a little tricky. Oatmeal is whole oats and Heather lists it as a safe soluble fiber. However, some people on the Boards find that oatmeal just doesn't sit right - I'm one of them. So whole oats in something is worth a try as a soluble fiber base, but cautiously. And just "wheat" - like "wheat flour" is soluble, but "whole wheat" or "wheat bran" means IF so it cannot serve as your SF base.
AaaaHHH! Also, what is the best recommended sandwhich bread to buy (general supermarket please)...so that I can use it for simple sandwhiches. thanks!!!
I haven't found a regular supermarket bread that doesn't contain dairy or HFCS or eggs or something I want to avoid. I can buy white bread with none of these at Whole Foods, but right now I'm eating Calandra's sliced Panella bread as my sandwich and toast bread. I find it at Kings. If you can't find Calandra's, a lot of stores have bakeries now, so check out their bakery bread ingredients to be sure there's nothing to avoid. They make great - if sometimes oddly shaped - sandwiches.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: grocery store dilemas new
      #283735 - 09/24/06 12:08 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I've found fat-free and lean "BallPark" turkey hotdogs, which are really good. About the corn flakes, some do contain High Fructose Corn Syrup (I know the Kelloggs do), so reading labels is extremely important.
Health food stores do carry some safe alternatives, but I found that "Trader Joe's" is the best. It's a cheap foodstore that sells quality and lots of organic foods. I think it's cheaper then "Whole Foods". They have Luna bars (they can get expensive, though), which is like a cereal bar, and many other safe alternatives.
I hope this helps a bit!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#283736 - 09/24/06 12:10 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You may not be able to tolerate soy products. Have you tried Rice Dream milk, and Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze milk? Both the white and chocolate milks taste great.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review