All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
White bread=the root of all evil???
      #281439 - 09/09/06 01:46 PM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

Hey guys, hope everyone's tummys are behaving at the moment (I usually just tell mine to behave and if it doesn't then that's its problem!) Anyhow, just wanted to share a thought with you all. I posted not so long ago about the fact I needed advice about how to safely put on weight (I've been eating a lot of bread, although i want to bake my own as we all know the crap that is in most stuff) Well, the bread I've been eating is white, baps with my dinner and toast near bedtime, apart from two small squares of rye/sourdough bread that I have with a soya milk fruit smoothie for pudding. I have been stressing big time about the fact I'm eating refined carbohydrates, despite the fact I keep reading Heather's threads about the fact it isn't going to kill me, just go for fresh stuff, but I just wish it was wholegrain/brown! (ps other things I've been having are hummus and peanut butter to help me put on weight, as well as bigger portions in general, although the aforementioned foods give me smelly horrendous gas!)

I have just been to a big event today in the UK for fitness instructors, where we all gather and get to have all the TOP people teach us new formats we can use in our classes and tips on teaching. It's been fab, I've done a lot of the dance classes as that's my main interest (broadway musicals, funk, rock and roll, mtv dance) as well as aerobics and a lecture on nutrition. Exercise always makes my IBS non existent. Funny tummy in the morning? Go to gym and it's gone. This is where I would like to make my point: the lecture I went to on nutrition (entitled "Don't Eat That!") was informative and I agreed with a lot of the key principles they were describing for a healthy lifestyle: eat organic, food that's in season, eat instinctively,avoid all sweeteners and packaged foods and eat WHOLEGRAINS only. They practically spat on the word 'white bread' (which is my general atttitude towards it as well, unfortunately) as it isn't nutrient dense and they said it is about as effective as eating a piece of paper. Interestingly, the guy made a point (one of the guys was from the US, by the way) about the fact white bread forms a 'dirty' glue that sticks inside our body. This made me laugh, as it reminded me of the wonderful 'glue like' effect that heather has taught us HELPS food to pass smoothly through our messed up GI tracts.

The main focus of the lecture was about Glycaemic Response They were talking about the disadvantages of the GI diet that everyone is so fond of (eating low Gi foods keeps you feeling full for longer and keeps your blood sugars level) and were raving about the Glycameic Load method instead (admittedly I live a lot of my diet by the Glycaemic Load) where the carbohydrate value of a food is taken into account as well. For example, using the GI diet some healthy foods such as parsnips have a really high GI of about 96 whereas a chocolate bar only rates at about 30-40, so it is not as reliable. The lecture was focused on how supermarkets try to sell us mainly carbs carbs carbs and they were implying this was bad, due to the effect carbs has on our blood sugar levels. SYNDROME X is the ongoing investigation into the long term effects of fluctating blood sugar levels, suggesting that there is one underlying 'degenerating' state in the body due to this and everything else contracted in life (symptoms, diseases etc) is simply a product of the many years of abuse on our poor blood sugar levels. Well, as our fabulous IBS group knows, we balance our blood sugar levels really well by eating small portions on a regular basis.

Sooooo, when the guy started raving on about the 'pure evil' of white bread, I felt quite moved (already feeling segregated from everyone else after having my 'special dietary needs'- eg bringing all my 'prepared foods and snacks as always' and requesting to use the microwave in the kitchen) and thought I'd pipe up. I pointed out that combining foods with the white bread changes its GL load and makes it more nutrient dense. Both the guys taking the lecture were 'barking' at me me by this point "Why would you bother?" they said. For some reason, I decided to talk about a 'friend' who had IBS, (couldn't be bothered letting eveyone knowing my bowel habits at this point) and said that not everyone can not eat wholegrains. Personally, since eating more bread, I have found it to be a very effective SF cushion as opposed to other things (I eat sweet potato, brown rice, oat cakes, but in smaller amounts) "Ahhh," one of the guys said "Well, that person has already caused their own problem as they have been eating refined products for such a long time that their system no longer works properly." The guy did have a point, as we all know that intolerance to a food can be caused by eating too much of it and I did grow up eating a lot of crap (and tons of dairy!) Well, just thought I'd mention about the white bread thing now as I kinda feel too guilty about eating it now. I looove brown bread and I do miss it, I eat products such as the rye bread but miss it so much. I think quite a few people are concerned about eating the white bread because they don't want to put on weight and Heather does offer alternatives: I'm worried that once my weight is back up to a normal level that I won't be able to stop eating it. I can't imagine my life without it now! My tummy seems to like it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: White bread=the root of all evil??? new
      #281447 - 09/09/06 03:56 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I know exactly hpw you feel about the bread thing, i don't eat any white grain products at all, but i am IBS-C. I did change from multgrain or seed n nut breads to spelt sourdough, rye, brown rice bread, sprouted wheat etc. Basically i go for single grain so as to not give my body too much to deal with. If you make your own bread you can do oat bread, or do a 40% whole wheat which a lot of bakeries do for people who like the best of both worlds. For pasta i eat rice or kamut pasta and my cereal is rice or sorghum or oats or millet. I do eat ww pitas also. I do fine this way, it was the stopping of the crazy multigrain breads that helped a lot as they were just too complex for my tummy.

#281590 - 09/11/06 06:34 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

"Well, that person has already caused their own problem as they have been eating refined products for such a long time that their system no longer works properly."

This is a ridiculus statement by an uninformed person. To blame a person for having IBS in the first place is incorrect. I for example have IBS because I had my gallbladder removed and my body just continues to make too much bile...not my fault. There is no scientific evidence for the statement that he made. May he never develop IBS - you can you know, in the middle of your life...especially if you continue to eat high amounts of insoluble fiber with out adequate soluble and combine it with too much fat. The body can only handle a certain amount of "demand" for so long.

Eat your white bread...as I do my white rice, pasta and potato. I am not overweight, or under-energized. I do not have constipation or diahhrea. I do not have pain or poor health or dysfunction.

Its important to know that a large part of our economy is dependent on selling as much wheat/grain as possible - politically speaking, what is being "pushed" on Americans to eat has alot more to do with lobbying in Washington and political waters of the farming industry and the retailer profit than most people know.

Eat what works for you. Don't eat what doesn't. Own you own needs and don't be intimidated by anyone selling anything to you at a conference. Believe me, if they weren't there to make money - they wouldn't be there at all.

Amen, sista! new
      #281654 - 09/11/06 12:35 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I agree, that is an absolutely ludicrous statement that we CAUSED our own IBS. Strangely, mine was caused by a trip to France; my body just did NOT do well with time zone change, and never recovered. I'll probably never travel to Europe again, unfortunately.

Second, I am one of the healthiest people I know; I'm 5'8" and weigh 120 (and I exercise daily) so I'm certainly not overweight considering I eat white bread, rice cereal, white rice, and lots of pasta. I can't even eat oats safely, let alone whole grain breads. And I'm perfectly happy that way. Maybe some day I will be able to eat those things, but I doubt it will take years off my life if I don't.

One of my pet peeves in this world is ignorant people, so sorry for ranting. But I've been putting up with this kind of attitude from family members, too. Shows you how powerful media/propaganda can be...

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

I agree new
      #281656 - 09/11/06 12:58 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I'm also interested in Fitness and healthy eating et.c. and read all the time how bad white bread is. And then the "You are what you eat" shows started on tv. Typically this features an overweight person who eats lots of fatty foods and drinks 5 cups of coffee a day and then this "nutritionist" comes and tells them what to eat and they are only allowed to eat things like beans, veggies, no bread at all, (and certainly not white), et.c. I asked my dietitian about it and she just said that the best thing to do is really to not watch shows like that. She said that she had watched it a few minutes but that she couldn't take it as there is no scientific proof or reason behind anything they say.

I agree you should eat what's good for you and not care about what uneducated and brainwashed people say!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#284096 - 09/26/06 10:51 PM
Janyce

Reged: 08/10/05
Loc: Arizona

Just read your reply to "White bread" and noted that you said you got IBS because of your gallbladder removal. I have to have that done soon and already have IBS - is the absence of your gallbladder known to worsen IBS symptoms?

#300610 - 02/23/07 01:41 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I know this is an old thread - I've also read much about the evils of white bread and find it ridiculous. IBS runs in my family tree. Hmm, did I somehow *cause* that? I eat plenty of white bread, white rice and pasta am 5'11", weigh 132 lbs and do 20 minutes on the treadmill everyday. It's annoying how white bread has gotten such a bad rap.

#300615 - 02/23/07 02:27 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

"Ahhh," one of the guys said "Well, that person has already caused their own problem as they have been eating refined products for such a long time that their system no longer works properly."

What a load of you know what! I first started having IBS symptoms when I was 12 years old. Not only that, but my parents were hippies and only let the family eat whole grains, no sugar, everything was homemade, ect. I didn't even eat white bread until I was in my first apartment and buying my own groceries. I love my white products!

#300646 - 02/24/07 08:21 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I have eaten nearly all wholegrains and unrefined foods for most of my adult life, in the belief that all the fibre would help my IBS. However, I avoided wholewheat bread, as I knew it gave me trouble, and actually avoided all wheat products for 10 years as I thought I was wheat intolerant. Then, last October, I found this website and started the EFI diet, with all that white stuff! I began to feel a lot better - that my digestion was actually improving. After a while, and in some trepidation, I introduced white bread - and found that I not only tolerated it, it soothed my tummy when dodgy. I now eat it regularly, along with other white wheatflour products.

I agree that it is so easy to be taken in by the media, especially regarding health. Health is such an individual thing. The key to it is understanding your own body, especially for IBS sufferers, and ignoring sweeping generalisations.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3509

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review