All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Speaking of Ginger and ? about Stevia
      #281414 - 09/09/06 10:52 AM
Patty_S

Reged: 09/08/06

I just bought some regular caffiene free peppermint tea and also bought some ginger and peppermint tea. Is ginger good for IBS symptoms? I am enjoying a cup of it now and it has a spicy flavor, but is very good. Also,I use Splenda, but now I'm finding out that it very well could be irratating me more, does anyone know anything about Stevia? TIA

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Speaking of Ginger and ? about Stevia new
      #281442 - 09/09/06 02:08 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Splenda is NOT good for most people w/IBS. Stevia is usually safe. I use the powdered form of stevia in my tea. But be careful & read labels. Some brands of stevia contain inulin, and that is a trigger for some people. Stevia also comes in liquid form, and w/different flavors added. But the individual packets of the powder form are portable. I keep 1-2 pkts in my purse in case I go out to eat on the spur of the moment. I'm not sure about ginger, but someone else should be able to answer that. There are a lot of intelligent & experienced people here!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#281444 - 09/09/06 02:56 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Ginger tea is good for the digestive system. I drink it all the time with a touch of honey.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#281446 - 09/09/06 03:49 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

splenda is baaaad, stay away, stevia has a great track record with diabetics and dieters and the rest of us too, there are a few tricks to it though, use very little compare to sugar as it is many times sweeter than sugar and if you 1:1 it you will probably ruin your tea or recipe, also don't expect it to taste like sugar, it tastes sweet, but not exactly the same as sugar. I personally prefer substituting honey or agave nectar for sugar.
Ginger is awesome stuff. I chew candied ginger when i feel nauseous and drink ginger tea with honey as well, it got a spicyness to it that is calming and soothing unlike regular spice which is very irritating like hot peppers

#281475 - 09/09/06 07:45 PM
Jez

Reged: 04/10/04

yeah artificial sweeteners bad. I wouldn't risk any of them. Just use sugar (it's not an irritant) or honey. I guess this might be more of a problem if you're a diabetic. And sugar does give me problems in that it can give me hunger pangs, and encourage me to overeat.
jez

--------------------
Who is Lord of this world? Jesus is. Now what will you do?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1622 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review