All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oats and high fat content
      #280980 - 09/06/06 12:03 AM
Jez

Reged: 04/10/04

ive just found out that one of my staple foods oats, which i use as a flour and as instant oats has around 8g of fat per 100 grams. I prefer to use it too refined wheat because it doesn't give me hunger pangs as bad and so i'm less likely to over eat. evebn with some added oil in breads and stuff i've found it quite good.

Does anybody else have trouble with oats?

--------------------
Who is Lord of this world? Jesus is. Now what will you do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oats and high fat content new
      #280984 - 09/06/06 05:26 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi
well I find oats are hard for me to digest, however, if you find it works for you that's great cos they taste nice and they're good for you so I would say just go for it unless you want to try leaving them out of your diet for a while and seeing how you go? How are your symptoms at the minute?
Godbless
Vicky

#280990 - 09/06/06 06:32 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

oats seem to sit fine with me, it is higher fat but as you said it more filling and much better for your body than white flours, i don't eat any white flours, i do fine with spelt oats millet and brown rice based things

#280997 - 09/06/06 07:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The USDA food database says oats contains about 6.9 grams of fat per 100 grams of oats OR about 16% of total calories

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

However, over the course of a day taking into consideration other foods your daily fat intake may well be less than 20%-25% of total calories.

The neat thing about oats if you can tolerate them is that of the 10 grams of fibre per 100 gram they contain much of it is SF.

I use a simple rule. I eat foods with up to 10%-15% monosaturated fats as long I keep my daily fat intake below 20%-25% of calories per day.

Oatmeal is the first thing I have every morning. Enjoy your oats!

PS - there are foods with more fat than oats such as avocados (10 - 15 grams / 100 grams) are okay for some people to eat AND they are high in SF too.
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathersibscheatsheet.pdf

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#281005 - 09/06/06 08:09 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Unfortunately, I CANNOT tolerate oats. They give me gas and bloating. However, I have found that I CAN tolerate small amounts of granola if I blend it into a smoothie.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#281083 - 09/06/06 05:14 PM
Jez

Reged: 04/10/04

miso,do you seriously eat brown rice? isn't that high in IF, and whole grain spelt? (if like you say you dont eat white flour) Isn't that really high in IF aswell? or do you just eat them moderately.

--------------------
Who is Lord of this world? Jesus is. Now what will you do?

#281085 - 09/06/06 05:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Percentage-wise oats are safe. The calories are higher than the fat. Even with soy milk and a dab of light margarine the percentage is less than 1/3 calories.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#281105 - 09/06/06 08:29 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i eat tons of IF, i am ibs-c now that i have removed my triggers and started the acacia i am doing a lot better, I am doing even better now that i am back on AD's after a 2 year try all natural hiatus, but the anxiety ocd imbalance i just could not correct onm my own. the only things i cannot tol;erate are all dairy, red meat (i only eat fish though), spicy food, leafy veggies except spinach and tomatoes, all else is all good raw, i eat lots of nuts and seeds and beans, but all chewed really well or made into nut butter and dips, i eat no sugar that isn't naturally occuring and no white flour. i can do all this now through the supplementation of digestive enzymes, probiotics, acacia and building up to this slowly. Being basically a vegan who happens to eat fish has also helped a ton, generally i feel healthy with my diet, white flours make me feel tired and icky and all dessert and too much carbs taste and make me feel gross, give me fruit and nut butter over chocolate any day. BUt i know i am not the norm here and don't advocate that anyone go as far as i have out on a limb until they are really stable, but it is now working for me.If you have any questions feel free to ask.

#281157 - 09/07/06 08:29 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

First don't you need a certain amount of fat to actually help you go like a lubricant?Also I posted this on my oatmeal thread but could a person be allergic to oats but not other grain or no and then you may have other grain intolerances?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review