All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Utterly confused
      #280553 - 08/31/06 02:39 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

Saw my GI today and in addition to the colonoscopy he ordered, he wrote me a prescription for Miralax (I'm IBS-C of course) and Bentyl, which I've never heard of before. Here's where I'm confused: One of the main side effects of Bentyl is constipation -- the worst of my symptoms. Why would he prescribe something that will make my main problem worse. Okay, so it's supposed to relax the gut, but it says not to take it for a stomach ache due to gas -- gas is primarily what causes my stomach to ache because I can't poop! Are these prescribtions standard? If you take Bentyl, is it worth the long list of side effects? I'm not even sure I need this medication so if any of you have ever taken it, please share your experience. TIA!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Utterly confused new
      #280555 - 08/31/06 03:21 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I've been taking Bentyl (dicyclomine) for years, and I'm also IBS-C. And gas and bloating are my main symptoms. Bentyl actually does wonders for pain and cramps due to gas. Sometimes I'll get gassy because of C, so I will take some dicyclomine, and shortly thereafter I'm able to "go"! Not sure why, but it's true. I've never felt that dicyclomine is constipating, and my C can get pretty bad. I'm currently trying to reduce my dependence on it, though, just because I'm tired of taking pills!

HTH,
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280565 - 08/31/06 06:34 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I am ibs-A and have been taking bentyl for about 3 months. When I took four a day it did constipate me a little so I backed down to 2 a day and it works great for me. I have not had any of the freaky side effects I have read about. I also find that if I up by dose to 3 times a day for the few days before and at the beginning of my period it helps with my PMS induced attacks. I also take Xanax-CR everyday (total of 1.5 mg) for anxiety as stress is probably my worst trigger.

Good luck wishes,
Christy

#280614 - 09/01/06 09:28 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I should probably clarify: I don't take the dicyclomine regularly, just "as needed" for gas and pain. Perhaps that's why it doesn't give me C.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280804 - 09/04/06 01:19 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll go ahead and try it and see how I feel.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2749 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review