All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Getting vitamins!!
      #280381 - 08/30/06 10:00 AM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Ever wonder how to get all those vitamins that you need, without eating too many veggies? (Yeah, raw veggies kill me and cooked ones aren't as good for you)

I'm taking a nutrition class through my yoga studio, and have an idea from them that might sound ok... takes a bit of time though.

If you take a bunch of veggies (the ones they suggest are 1 leek, 1 potato, 2 carrots, 2 celery with the leaves and all, 1/2 head of chard, 1 beet, and maybe I'm forgetting something else but generally high alkaline foods, and spices like parsley, rosemary, thyme, whatever sounds good to you)
and...
1. chop them up with the skin, leaves and all
2. boil them in 2ish quarts of water (don't worry, the veggies shrink) for 1/2 an hour covered
3. let it sit for 1/2 an hour covered
4. let it cool
5. then THROW AWAY THE VEGGIES! this leaves you with a bright red broth (yay beets) that is full of all the vitamins from the veggies, without the fiber!!

I'm not suggesting this as a substitute for anything or a cure for anything, but just a possibility for getting in vitamins, beacuse I always find that tough and the store bought are hard on the GI. The broth tastes really good (if you want to blend a few potatoes and carrots and then put that back into the broth, its more substance and starchy) and I just heat it up in a coffee cup and drink it.

I've only had a few cups so far over 2 days, but so far it doesn't seem to make me sick.

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting vitamins!! new
      #280403 - 08/30/06 11:39 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

This certainly sounds like it is nutritious and a change from a cup of bouillon. I'm going to make up some to keep in the frig. Thanks.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#280432 - 08/30/06 02:35 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

How does it taste? Might be a good soup base.

#280434 - 08/30/06 02:47 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

It tastes really good!! You can adjust the spices too. It might be a lot of work for a soup base though... I'd try it once and then decide later. Depends on what kind of soup I guess, and what veggies would be in it in the first place.

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 949 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review