All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tolerance of SFS
      #280240 - 08/29/06 06:23 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Why can some people tolerate an SFS and others can try numerous types and they cause more bloat, gas, and even worse C sometimes?

Is it possible for someone to explain this to me? And if you can't tolerate an SFS, and you are a C, how do you "go"? How many types of SFS should I try before giving up on them?

The SFS seems like such a crucial part of this approach. But, so far, I don't like any of the kinds I've tried. Seems like I can't win. I don't know what to do.

I start low, go slow, and drink water or/or tea.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tolerance of SFS new
      #280261 - 08/29/06 08:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm not sure if you're understanding the role of SFS in your diet. It will not help you 'go'. SFS helps to keep your stomach calm, less crampy, less pain etc. It helps you to be able to eat more IF, which is what will help you go.

So again, both SF and IF are important.
SF will help reduce pain and cramping, and form better stool.
IF will help you go.
You want to get as much of both that you can tolerate.

My suggestion will be to stick with a SFS that doesn't cause too much gas/bloat, and increase your IF slowly.

--------------------
Kat

#280268 - 08/29/06 08:50 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

They have ALWAYS given me gas, too. But I started the acacia, taking only 1/8 teaspoon twice a week for the first week or two. I have been VERY slowly increasing for the last 5 or 6 weeks, and I'm only up to 1 1/8 teaspoon per day. But it's not making me gassy!! Start even lower than you think you need to - pick a dose that gives you NO side effects and go from there! Don't give up!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280284 - 08/29/06 10:18 AM
Jordy

Quote:

SF will help reduce pain and cramping, and form better stool

Well, the problem is that even though it might not help me "go", it seems to give me more pain, more cramps, much more gas and bloating. It's not only not helping the C, but it seems to be increasing these other symptoms.

Sorry to be sto stupid about this, but I just don't understand how some people can be helped by this so much, but I just get worse...with several different kinds.

What kind do you take K2?

Thanks for the reply! This is so frustrating.

--------------------

#280286 - 08/29/06 10:21 AM
Jordy

I didn't start getting the side effects until I got up to about 3 grams fiber a day. I'm up to 6 grams over the time period of 7 weeks. That's an increase of 1/2 tsp a week, which doesn't seem like too much.

I don't know if I should start over again...but I honestly thought I was being very careful with the increases.

I hope you have continued luck with the Acacia. Keep me posted!

--------------------

#280291 - 08/29/06 11:15 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I would drop back down to the dosage that you were at before the symptoms became worse and stay at that dose for a few weeks. Then gradually increase if you think you need to - I would increase by adding 1/8 tsp. per week....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#280293 - 08/29/06 11:27 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

What kind are you taking? 1/2 tsp. a week is quite a rapid increase for something like acacia. I increase about an 1/8 tsp. every 3 weeks. I can increase citrucel without any noticeable problems. And it helps me 'go' the best. I take acacia too just to get enough SF. But it's much harder to increase and to adjust to. I would say drop back down and then go much slower. I know it's a slow process, but it's worth it.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#280303 - 08/29/06 01:10 PM
K2

Thing is, I'm IBS-D and like many other D's have found a lot of help from SFS. I didn't have problems with bloating and gas from it, and managed to get up to a high dose pretty quickly. Many IBS-C's or anyone with bloating and gas have had harder times starting an SFS. It is worthwhile in the long term so please keep trying.

If it is causing you more pain, try getting more SF from foods like rice, pasta, applesauce, etc. And also try mixing more IF foods in with it. Then start an SFS at a really small dose (someone else mentioned 1/8 tsp once or twice a day).

I personally have had problems with Benefiber which I tried to take when I ran out of Acacia. I stick to Acacia now.

Keep us updated on your progress,

--------------------
Kat

#280304 - 08/29/06 01:11 PM
K2

I agree with the others. 7 weeks is a very short period to be up to that dose. You don't have to restart at a very small dose, just start at a level that you have no symptoms at.

--------------------
Kat

#280331 - 08/29/06 08:32 PM
StephanieF

Reged: 09/29/05

I've had the same problem with the acacia powder. I started with 1/2 teaspoon a day which gave me bad cramping and gas. Maybe I'll just start over much lower and try again. I also tried probiotics as suggested and that caused me bad problems, too, so I totally understand your frustration. I will try magnesium next and see what happens there as I'm IBS-C as well and certainly need some help. Let us know if you hit upon something that works.

Re: tolerance of SFS and probiotics new
      #280368 - 08/30/06 09:39 AM
Jordy

You do the same! It's hard when your a C...to go so slow with the SFS. You just want to be at the dose you can go!

Only increasing 1/4 tsp every few weeks seems so long, doesn't it? what dose are you going to start over with? Have you tried any other brands?

What probiotic did you try? Make sure it's dairy free. What kind of problem did it give you? I never considered that my probiotic could possibly cause a problem. I thought they did only good things...or nothing...but not create more problems.

Any one else have a problem with probiotic tolerance?

--------------------

Is that how you increased? new
      #280375 - 08/30/06 09:51 AM
Jordy

By 1/8th teaspoon a week?

I honestly don't remember what dose the symptoms stopped going away. I had them since the beginning...but they stopped after a week (well, went back to usual amount of gas/bloat ) but now it just stays all the time.

--------------------

Re: Is that how you increased? new
      #280378 - 08/30/06 09:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

That's the rate that I have been increasing at, and it has been working really well!! I started at 1/4 t. daily and I'm now up to almost 2 1/4 t. daily!

Did you start at 1/2 t. twice daily? That was way too much for me to start at.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Yes... new
      #280389 - 08/30/06 10:36 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I increased by 1/8 tsp every few days to a week. If my symptoms worsened when I increased, then I dropped back down to the previous dosage for a while. You kind of just have to play with the dosage to see what works for you, but do it slowly...

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1890 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1371

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review