All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to IBS
      #279965 - 08/25/06 06:11 PM
at321

Reged: 08/25/06

Glad to have found this community. My 17 year old son has high functioning autism and has been gluten free/casein free/soy free for years. With continued constipation, gas, bloating issues, he was tested and found fructose intolerant. So, for the past year he has been fruit/vegetable and sugar free as well. Even with all this, he has been having breakthrough symptoms for the past couple of months. As of today, he was tested for bacterial overgrowth - still waiting on the results, but from his multiple trips to the bathroom today, it seems that bacteria overgrowth is a probelm as well. I'm coming to the realization that the doctors just won't be able to solve this problem for us. Diet is the key but I'm unsure how I can limit this poor kid's diet any more than I have. I hope to be able to learn from other's experiences and find ways to help my son so he can be more comfortable and maybe (just maybe)eat a slightly more varied diet (and maybe actually gain some weight!).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to IBS new
      #279979 - 08/26/06 05:57 AM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

You might want to look at the new Align product from Metamucil. It's suppose to promote "good" bacteria in your system. Some people on this board have tried it and one person I've heard rave about it. You might want to consult your son's doctor before purchasing the supplement though. Here's the Web site in case you are interested: http://www.aligngi.com/index.shtml

What can he eat? new
      #279981 - 08/26/06 06:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You sure have a tough assignment.

Out of curiousity what can he eat with little or no difficulty?

When you say he is fructose intolerant do you mean that he has the hereditary disease where he is missing certain liver enzymes required to metabolize fructose? Or do you mean he cannot absorb fructose from fruits/vegs with lots of fructose?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: What can he eat? new
      #279983 - 08/26/06 07:21 AM
at321

Reged: 08/25/06

As you can imagaine, not much. We use a gluten free bread made from brown rice and millet. All of our breakfast foods are homemade with gluten free mixes and he just eats his pancakes and waffles without syrup or sugar. He can eat potatoes and rice and meats. All that plus our handy vitamin supplements and fiber supplements make up his diet. Pretty limited and frustrating that he still has symptoms even with all these limitations.

As for the fructose, he does not have the hereditary disease which is different from fructose intolerance. Eating anything with fructose or sucrose (sugar) causes extreme symptoms (bloating, gas, D & C). This was determined with the hydrogen breath test.

I just ordered the Acacia fiber since Benefiber just switched their formula. I'm anxious to see if this helps.
And, I'm looking forward to reading about what helps other people with these problems.

Thanks!

Re: What can he eat? new
      #279986 - 08/26/06 07:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting.

There is a lot of confusion about fructose problems. The hereditary disease is called hereditary fructose intolerance. The other one is usually called fructose malabsorption. I too suffer from fructose malabsorption problems. Here are a couple of interesting references.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec23/ch282/ch282b.html
http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdf

Am I correct in assuming that the meat is low fat and minimum amounts of red meat i.e chicken, turkey and perhaps fish?

I am sure you will find Acacia a benefit.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7013 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 944

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review