All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need to vent
      #279240 - 08/21/06 06:30 AM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

Hi everyone today I need to vent, I am getting very frustrated with myself because I truly don't think I am getting this diet. I feel so limited and hungry. Yesterday I had a bad day, I had a turkey sandwich in the afternoon I didn't have anything in the morning but tea and my supplement. For dinner I had pasta and sauce not meat just a marinara sauce. Got a little hungry after dinner and had some plain corn pops and water, not too long after that was in the bathroom. I am going to stay away from sauce right now, not sure if pasta could have anything i should worry about. If i stay away from sauce it limits me to what to do with pasta. I read the book and always reading this board but i feel I still don't know what to shop for. It says base your meals on pasta rice and potatoe. Is that what everyone eats everyday. I am tired of just this. I not fimilar yet with the subsitutes need to learn more about it. I do have a trader joe by me and I,ve seen on the board people were talking about that, I will go there one day and see what they have. I know I need to stay away from fat, diary etc. I don't like the soy and rice milk, but I am going to try different brands, When I shop i don't get it what if a product has 2 gms of fat do I stay away from it completely. I am also on day 7 of the hypo tapes and I don't see myself feeling any different. I guess I am just having a frustrating day and needed to vent! Thanks for listening everyone. I am going on the site later and reread everything again, and look up some recipes.

--------------------
IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Let's try this from a different angle new
      #279244 - 08/21/06 06:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Could you list what you would eat in a single day if you *weren't* trying to follow Heather's EFI Diet? Then people on the Board can help you figure out safe substitutes. (If you decide to do this, please say whether you're IBS-C, D, A, or P.)

As for hypno, I don't think it's meant to be a quick fix, so hang in there.

Here's what my day has/will look like, food wise:

Pre-Breakfast: Decaf Constant Comment with honey; 1/2 cup applesauce with 1 teaspoon Acacia

Breakfast: 1 slice Brown Sugar Banana Bread from EFI with 1 egg white, either "fried" or hard-boiled

AM Snack: 1 slice Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread from EFI (guess who baked yesterday)

Lunch: Chicken Pasta Grape salad from Recipe Board, with either a slice of bakery bread or a few pretzels; Sunset Rose iced tea

Afternoon Snack: not sure - perhaps pita chips, perhaps a smoothie, perhaps an apple

Dinner: pizza, either the Chicken BBQ one from EFI or pepperoni made with turkey pepperoni and no cheese; I use the Pillsbury pizza dough - no dairy; if I feel energetic, I'll make a small salad to go with

Evening snack: lemon cupcake made from a store-brand mix with no dairy and, if it's not too hot, SleepyTime tea

I get a fair amount of IF, lots of it raw. If you're just starting out, you might need to eat less of it and/or cook, chop, puree it. For example, a cooked vegetable with dinner rather than a salad and fewer grapes in the pasta salad for lunch. Note that I eat almost as soon as I get up and I eat no IF for breakfast and very little until lunch.

I'm not watching my weight, so if you're thinking this is way too much food, keep the ideas the same and eat smaller portions.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Let's try this from a different angle new
      #279249 - 08/21/06 07:45 AM
sapphiremel

I am ibs d, Before the diet, usually I didn't eat anything all day but maybe a roll or bagel in the morning w/butter (before diet) tea with milk, maybe pretzels then I would go home and eat dinner, anything at that time, Steak, Chili, Pasta,Chicken Cutlets, hamburgers etc.Since the diet I try to eat oatmeal in the morning with tea no milk, a plain bagel or roll, pretzels, dinner I tried the terriaki chicken receipe that was good, Sat I was going out I just had rice for dinner, Sun I had what I wrote before, Today is mon I started with a cup of tea and my benefiber I had oatmeal, maybe later I am at work now, I might have some pretzels. and I brought a plain roll. some of the things you listed I never heard about. I ate so simple. I am not much of a fish person, and chicken wasn't my favorite but I am eating more of it. thanks for your advice it's good to come somewhere where you can vent.

--------------------
IBS D

Re: Need to vent new
      #279250 - 08/21/06 07:45 AM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

I hear you, my friend. I am a very recent IBS diagnosee (within the last month). The diet change is crazy, but I do feel better. The way I did it was to use Heather's Cheat Sheet and make a list of stuff that I liked to eat. Then I went shopping. Fortunately, I ate healthy prior to the onset of IBS, so the change was not as drastic. When I eat out, I order grilled fish, chicken or pasta dishes and always choose baked potato or rice instead of the fries. And being from NM, it's never a problem to ask for a tortilla to munch on or order some chips and guacamole as an appetizer. As long as you start your meals or snacks with soluble fiber, watch your insoluble fiber and avoid the trigger stuff, you'll do fine. If you're getting bored with your diet, try to spice it up with some ethnic food. Jazz up your rice with Cajun dishes. Hummus and pita bread are great as a snack/appetizer. Certain types of sushi (drink your miso soup first) are safe. Use your imagination and try to have fun with this new dietary adventure. Good luck.

thanks for the advice new
      #279259 - 08/21/06 09:07 AM
sapphiremel

see this is what I mean you are new to this and you already understand it, and you are feeling better. I had pasta last night with sauce and was in the bathroom and not feeling so great today, I just have to take a day to myself and go shopping, I am cooking for a family of 5 and work full time, I just have to stock on soluble stuff and have it in the house so I can put something together when I need to> I have follow this for a while and still I don't know what else to eat. thanks for your advice.

--------------------
IBS D

#279261 - 08/21/06 09:08 AM
Sand

I'm IBS-D, too, and Heather's approach has made a huge difference for me. I think it can for you, too. It's an adjustment but truly, once you get used to it, it really does become second nature to this way.

As for your roll with butter for breakfast, oh, yeah. Before I found this Website, I ate Grape Nuts with yogurt for breakfast every morning. I'm surprised it didn't kill me.

I'm not sure what you weren't familiar with in the foods I listed, so here they are with explanations:

Decaf Constant Comment is a tea made by Twinings. I'd probably be better off drinking a herbal tea first thing in the morning, but I love this stuff.

The Brown Sugar Banana Bread is from Heather's Eating For IBS cookbook, but the recipe is also on the Website here.

The Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread is also from Heather's Eating For IBS cookbook. As far as I know the recipe isn't on the Website. However, the Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread is and it's yummy, too. (web page)

The Chicken Pasta Grape salad is from the Recipe Board
(web page - it's actually called Almond Chicken Salad)

Sunset Rose is a herbal tea - hisbiscus with a little mint - made by Twining. It makes a fabulous iced tea and is a beautiful color. If you can't find it in the stores - I order mine from Twining - Stash also makes a hibiscus-based tea called "Passion". I think Starbucks carries that.

Pita chips I just buy, although it is possible to make your own. I get Stacy's brand, the Simply Naked flavor. They're a little high in fat, but as long as I eat them later in the day I do fine with them.

There are lots of smoothie recipes. Here's a thread from the Recipe Board with some ideas.

The Chicken BBQ Pizza recipe is from Heather's Eating for IBS cookbook. It's also on the Website (web page) I don't make my own dough, so I just buy the Pillsbury pizza dough. It's in the refrigerator case with the other dough that comes in rolls, like crescent rolls and (sigh) chocolate chip cookie dough.

Turkey pepperoni is usually where the regular pepperoni is, the kind that comes in little bags and is made by Hormel. Not all stores carry it, but ask - I think most do.

Please keep in mind that this is what I eat *now* after being on the EFI Diet for a long time. When I first started out, I was far more heavily weighted toward SF, with very little IF and not much fat. Here's an old post about what and how I ate when I was first starting out. And here's another.

And if you don't really have any desire to cook, take a look at these two posts for ways to eat safely without ever seeing the inside of a kitchen:

I don't cook 1

I don't cook 2

If you want to leave it at that, that's fine - I hope some of this helps. On the other hand, since I assume you were eating such a limited array of foods before Heather's Diet because of your stomach issues, you could try posting what you'd *like* to eat during the day if you didn't have to worry about your stomach. Not a fantasy day, with nothing but cake, ice cream, and fettucine Alfredo (sigh), but just a normal everyday kind of day. Then we could see if we can find safe alternatives, so you don't feel like you're starving yourself.

Take care. Hang in there. Oh, and are you taking an SFS?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Popcorn very high ISF new
      #279264 - 08/21/06 09:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Popcorn is a definite no-no -- 70% of its fibre content is insoluble fibre. It gives me D almost immediate!

My rule for fat is to stay away from products that LESS than 15% by weight of fat. This is determined by dividing the weight in of the fat in a portion by the weight of the portion. For example, it a single portion weighs 100 grams and the total fat is 10 grams then 10/100 is 10%

AND I stay away from all products that contain palm, cottonseed and soybean oil OR any hydrogenated oils or trans fats.

For snacks I eat Stacy's Pita Chips. They are baked and low fat.

http://www.pitachips.com/pita_chips.html

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (08/21/06 03:23 PM)

And one specific thing - oatmeal (m) new
      #279271 - 08/21/06 09:25 AM
Sand

I'd try something else for breakfast. I know this is on the list of SF foods, but my tummy really hates it first thing in the morning. Try something else for breakfast and see if that calms things down a little. And have you tried the Break The Cycle Diet for a few days?

--------------------

#279272 - 08/21/06 09:25 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you checked the ingredients in the roll? A lot of boughten breads have milk and eggs in them.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

thanks new
      #279283 - 08/21/06 10:01 AM
sapphiremel

thanks I am getting the idea now, the hard part is the triggers because I still don't have D on only a certain food, I usually eat pasta w/sauce and am ok last night not so should I stay away from sauce right now? I really didn
t eat much that day so could it be that that was my heaviest meal and maybe it didn't agree. I think what I need to do is sit down and take all this in and write myself a menu and go by that. I cook everynight for my family, I cook for 5 people everynight, so it's hard for me to come up with ideas just for myself, some recipes are good for all of us. I need to learn the safe food, because there are some things that i see on the post that people eat and it's not in the book. They figure it out for themselves so if I shopping and need to know if its safe, I look at the ingredients and as long as there's no dairy, or high in fat how do I calculate the fat because there are things on here that have some fat content. I 'll get it I am just very down today thanks again I am going on the site and find some recipes, IF the last time I had beans I made a turkey chili I didn't do good, so I am not sure again if it was the beans or turkey or maybe the sauce? so I haven't eaten beans and IF yet. I do miss dessert, I was a junk food eater at night, love cakes cookies, chips, etc.

--------------------
IBS D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 750 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review