All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need to vent
      #279240 - 08/21/06 06:30 AM
sapphiremel

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: New York

Hi everyone today I need to vent, I am getting very frustrated with myself because I truly don't think I am getting this diet. I feel so limited and hungry. Yesterday I had a bad day, I had a turkey sandwich in the afternoon I didn't have anything in the morning but tea and my supplement. For dinner I had pasta and sauce not meat just a marinara sauce. Got a little hungry after dinner and had some plain corn pops and water, not too long after that was in the bathroom. I am going to stay away from sauce right now, not sure if pasta could have anything i should worry about. If i stay away from sauce it limits me to what to do with pasta. I read the book and always reading this board but i feel I still don't know what to shop for. It says base your meals on pasta rice and potatoe. Is that what everyone eats everyday. I am tired of just this. I not fimilar yet with the subsitutes need to learn more about it. I do have a trader joe by me and I,ve seen on the board people were talking about that, I will go there one day and see what they have. I know I need to stay away from fat, diary etc. I don't like the soy and rice milk, but I am going to try different brands, When I shop i don't get it what if a product has 2 gms of fat do I stay away from it completely. I am also on day 7 of the hypo tapes and I don't see myself feeling any different. I guess I am just having a frustrating day and needed to vent! Thanks for listening everyone. I am going on the site later and reread everything again, and look up some recipes.

--------------------
IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Let's try this from a different angle new
      #279244 - 08/21/06 06:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Could you list what you would eat in a single day if you *weren't* trying to follow Heather's EFI Diet? Then people on the Board can help you figure out safe substitutes. (If you decide to do this, please say whether you're IBS-C, D, A, or P.)

As for hypno, I don't think it's meant to be a quick fix, so hang in there.

Here's what my day has/will look like, food wise:

Pre-Breakfast: Decaf Constant Comment with honey; 1/2 cup applesauce with 1 teaspoon Acacia

Breakfast: 1 slice Brown Sugar Banana Bread from EFI with 1 egg white, either "fried" or hard-boiled

AM Snack: 1 slice Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread from EFI (guess who baked yesterday)

Lunch: Chicken Pasta Grape salad from Recipe Board, with either a slice of bakery bread or a few pretzels; Sunset Rose iced tea

Afternoon Snack: not sure - perhaps pita chips, perhaps a smoothie, perhaps an apple

Dinner: pizza, either the Chicken BBQ one from EFI or pepperoni made with turkey pepperoni and no cheese; I use the Pillsbury pizza dough - no dairy; if I feel energetic, I'll make a small salad to go with

Evening snack: lemon cupcake made from a store-brand mix with no dairy and, if it's not too hot, SleepyTime tea

I get a fair amount of IF, lots of it raw. If you're just starting out, you might need to eat less of it and/or cook, chop, puree it. For example, a cooked vegetable with dinner rather than a salad and fewer grapes in the pasta salad for lunch. Note that I eat almost as soon as I get up and I eat no IF for breakfast and very little until lunch.

I'm not watching my weight, so if you're thinking this is way too much food, keep the ideas the same and eat smaller portions.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Let's try this from a different angle new
      #279249 - 08/21/06 07:45 AM
sapphiremel

I am ibs d, Before the diet, usually I didn't eat anything all day but maybe a roll or bagel in the morning w/butter (before diet) tea with milk, maybe pretzels then I would go home and eat dinner, anything at that time, Steak, Chili, Pasta,Chicken Cutlets, hamburgers etc.Since the diet I try to eat oatmeal in the morning with tea no milk, a plain bagel or roll, pretzels, dinner I tried the terriaki chicken receipe that was good, Sat I was going out I just had rice for dinner, Sun I had what I wrote before, Today is mon I started with a cup of tea and my benefiber I had oatmeal, maybe later I am at work now, I might have some pretzels. and I brought a plain roll. some of the things you listed I never heard about. I ate so simple. I am not much of a fish person, and chicken wasn't my favorite but I am eating more of it. thanks for your advice it's good to come somewhere where you can vent.

--------------------
IBS D

Re: Need to vent new
      #279250 - 08/21/06 07:45 AM
wombat

Reged: 08/18/06
Loc: NM

I hear you, my friend. I am a very recent IBS diagnosee (within the last month). The diet change is crazy, but I do feel better. The way I did it was to use Heather's Cheat Sheet and make a list of stuff that I liked to eat. Then I went shopping. Fortunately, I ate healthy prior to the onset of IBS, so the change was not as drastic. When I eat out, I order grilled fish, chicken or pasta dishes and always choose baked potato or rice instead of the fries. And being from NM, it's never a problem to ask for a tortilla to munch on or order some chips and guacamole as an appetizer. As long as you start your meals or snacks with soluble fiber, watch your insoluble fiber and avoid the trigger stuff, you'll do fine. If you're getting bored with your diet, try to spice it up with some ethnic food. Jazz up your rice with Cajun dishes. Hummus and pita bread are great as a snack/appetizer. Certain types of sushi (drink your miso soup first) are safe. Use your imagination and try to have fun with this new dietary adventure. Good luck.

thanks for the advice new
      #279259 - 08/21/06 09:07 AM
sapphiremel

see this is what I mean you are new to this and you already understand it, and you are feeling better. I had pasta last night with sauce and was in the bathroom and not feeling so great today, I just have to take a day to myself and go shopping, I am cooking for a family of 5 and work full time, I just have to stock on soluble stuff and have it in the house so I can put something together when I need to> I have follow this for a while and still I don't know what else to eat. thanks for your advice.

--------------------
IBS D

#279261 - 08/21/06 09:08 AM
Sand

I'm IBS-D, too, and Heather's approach has made a huge difference for me. I think it can for you, too. It's an adjustment but truly, once you get used to it, it really does become second nature to this way.

As for your roll with butter for breakfast, oh, yeah. Before I found this Website, I ate Grape Nuts with yogurt for breakfast every morning. I'm surprised it didn't kill me.

I'm not sure what you weren't familiar with in the foods I listed, so here they are with explanations:

Decaf Constant Comment is a tea made by Twinings. I'd probably be better off drinking a herbal tea first thing in the morning, but I love this stuff.

The Brown Sugar Banana Bread is from Heather's Eating For IBS cookbook, but the recipe is also on the Website here.

The Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread is also from Heather's Eating For IBS cookbook. As far as I know the recipe isn't on the Website. However, the Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread is and it's yummy, too. (web page)

The Chicken Pasta Grape salad is from the Recipe Board
(web page - it's actually called Almond Chicken Salad)

Sunset Rose is a herbal tea - hisbiscus with a little mint - made by Twining. It makes a fabulous iced tea and is a beautiful color. If you can't find it in the stores - I order mine from Twining - Stash also makes a hibiscus-based tea called "Passion". I think Starbucks carries that.

Pita chips I just buy, although it is possible to make your own. I get Stacy's brand, the Simply Naked flavor. They're a little high in fat, but as long as I eat them later in the day I do fine with them.

There are lots of smoothie recipes. Here's a thread from the Recipe Board with some ideas.

The Chicken BBQ Pizza recipe is from Heather's Eating for IBS cookbook. It's also on the Website (web page) I don't make my own dough, so I just buy the Pillsbury pizza dough. It's in the refrigerator case with the other dough that comes in rolls, like crescent rolls and (sigh) chocolate chip cookie dough.

Turkey pepperoni is usually where the regular pepperoni is, the kind that comes in little bags and is made by Hormel. Not all stores carry it, but ask - I think most do.

Please keep in mind that this is what I eat *now* after being on the EFI Diet for a long time. When I first started out, I was far more heavily weighted toward SF, with very little IF and not much fat. Here's an old post about what and how I ate when I was first starting out. And here's another.

And if you don't really have any desire to cook, take a look at these two posts for ways to eat safely without ever seeing the inside of a kitchen:

I don't cook 1

I don't cook 2

If you want to leave it at that, that's fine - I hope some of this helps. On the other hand, since I assume you were eating such a limited array of foods before Heather's Diet because of your stomach issues, you could try posting what you'd *like* to eat during the day if you didn't have to worry about your stomach. Not a fantasy day, with nothing but cake, ice cream, and fettucine Alfredo (sigh), but just a normal everyday kind of day. Then we could see if we can find safe alternatives, so you don't feel like you're starving yourself.

Take care. Hang in there. Oh, and are you taking an SFS?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Popcorn very high ISF new
      #279264 - 08/21/06 09:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Popcorn is a definite no-no -- 70% of its fibre content is insoluble fibre. It gives me D almost immediate!

My rule for fat is to stay away from products that LESS than 15% by weight of fat. This is determined by dividing the weight in of the fat in a portion by the weight of the portion. For example, it a single portion weighs 100 grams and the total fat is 10 grams then 10/100 is 10%

AND I stay away from all products that contain palm, cottonseed and soybean oil OR any hydrogenated oils or trans fats.

For snacks I eat Stacy's Pita Chips. They are baked and low fat.

http://www.pitachips.com/pita_chips.html

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (08/21/06 03:23 PM)

And one specific thing - oatmeal (m) new
      #279271 - 08/21/06 09:25 AM
Sand

I'd try something else for breakfast. I know this is on the list of SF foods, but my tummy really hates it first thing in the morning. Try something else for breakfast and see if that calms things down a little. And have you tried the Break The Cycle Diet for a few days?

--------------------

#279272 - 08/21/06 09:25 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you checked the ingredients in the roll? A lot of boughten breads have milk and eggs in them.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

thanks new
      #279283 - 08/21/06 10:01 AM
sapphiremel

thanks I am getting the idea now, the hard part is the triggers because I still don't have D on only a certain food, I usually eat pasta w/sauce and am ok last night not so should I stay away from sauce right now? I really didn
t eat much that day so could it be that that was my heaviest meal and maybe it didn't agree. I think what I need to do is sit down and take all this in and write myself a menu and go by that. I cook everynight for my family, I cook for 5 people everynight, so it's hard for me to come up with ideas just for myself, some recipes are good for all of us. I need to learn the safe food, because there are some things that i see on the post that people eat and it's not in the book. They figure it out for themselves so if I shopping and need to know if its safe, I look at the ingredients and as long as there's no dairy, or high in fat how do I calculate the fat because there are things on here that have some fat content. I 'll get it I am just very down today thanks again I am going on the site and find some recipes, IF the last time I had beans I made a turkey chili I didn't do good, so I am not sure again if it was the beans or turkey or maybe the sauce? so I haven't eaten beans and IF yet. I do miss dessert, I was a junk food eater at night, love cakes cookies, chips, etc.

--------------------
IBS D

Re: thanks new
      #279289 - 08/21/06 10:21 AM
Sand

The Recipe Index has lots of desserts. I practically lived on the Anti-Depressant Brownies from there when I first started out. Do cruise through the Index generally. There are a lot things you and your family can eat and most of the time if you don't tell them, they won't know they're eating "your" food.

Calcuating percent of calories from fat:

The label on my turkey pepperoni says:

Calories: 80
Fat Cal: 35

To calculate the percent of calories from fat, divide 35 by 80 and get 43.75%. Okay, that's way too high a percent for IBSers. But, I eat this on pizza dough. The pizza dough has 160 calories, 20 from fat. So if I make my pizza with just dough and pepperoni, the total pizza has:

240 calories (80+160)
55 from fat (35+20)

Now the percent of calories from fat is 55 divided by 240 which is about 23% and is much safer.

HTH.

--------------------

alot to take in new
      #279321 - 08/21/06 12:20 PM
sapphiremel

thank you this is a bit confusing math wasn't my best subject! have alot to learn but trying.

--------------------
IBS D

I know. Maybe someone else can explain it more clearly. Help? -nt- new
      #279334 - 08/21/06 02:11 PM
Sand

--------------------

Re: I know. Maybe someone else can explain it more clearly. Help? -nt- new
      #279351 - 08/21/06 03:47 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Not sure if I can simplify the fat counting but here's what I do. Say an item is 5 grams of fat. Each gram is 9 calories, 5x9=45calories. Just figure your meal calories and keep the fat calories below 25%.

I wanted to mention that when I first started this spaghetti sauce did me in. But now after being stable I can eat the plain sauce without any problems. It took a few months for me to be able to eat some foods. Give it some time, you'll see improvement. Think of your bowels being assaulted over a long period and it's going to take some time to calm things down. The CD's took some time for me and now I'm doing them a second time. Some people had to do them more than one go round for them to work. Hang in and I give you lots of credit for not just jumping ship when your frustrated. This board is so helpful I love it. But be sure to soak up all the valuable information Heather gives in her books and the main site here. Cooking for my husband isn't such a chore now, I just cook his red meat and my chicken,fish or whatever. I eat most of the same veggies and of course my potatoes/rice/grits or something similar. Lately sweet potatoes are on my plate a lot. You don't have to be hungry on this diet. Explore all the recipes but at first keep it simple so you can focus on stabilizing.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Re: Stacy's Pita Chips new
      #279357 - 08/21/06 06:19 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Now I was told on this board, that they were on the high end of the safe fat ratio and to beware of eating them just as a snack???? Sometimes there are so many conflicting posts, no wonder I can't get stable..........Sorry just frustrated

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: Stacy's Pita Chips new
      #279363 - 08/21/06 07:07 PM
Syl

A 40 gram portion of Pita chips contains 6 grams of fat (canola or sunflower oil) which means that it contains 15% fat. Compare this to potato chips that typically 25-35% fat. I have used the 15% rule for 25+ years and it has held me in good stead. The most important thing I have learned is that the type of oil/fat makes a big difference. And of course portion size makes a big difference too.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that different people have different tolerances. For example, oat meal and soya products are on the safe list but you can see from some of the postings today that these are a problem for some people. You will have to find your tolerances and limits. The safe list is only a guide.

You will get the hang of it with practice. Good Luck!

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

I believe I told you Stacy's Chips were on the high end and I stand by that. (m) new
      #279431 - 08/22/06 07:48 AM
Sand

One serving of Stacy's Pita Chips in the Simply Naked flavor has 130 calories, 36 calories from fat. To determine the percent of calories from fat in a serving, divide the number of calories from fat (36) by the total number of calories (130). In this case, that tells you that this flavor of Stacy's Pita Chips gets 27.6923% of its calories from fat. Since Heather's approach calls for a 25% maximum of calories from fat, that's a little high. For me, it's doable later in the day assuming I haven't been maxing out my fat percentage all day.

--------------------

Re: Popcorn very high ISF new
      #279433 - 08/22/06 07:55 AM
Sand

Popcorn is not the same as Corn Pops. Corn Pops are a sweet cereal that I used to eat dry by the handful when I was trying to stabilize.

In theory I agree with you about popcorn - it is very high in IF and Heather warns against it - but, oddly, I can tolerate it provided I've laid down a good SF base throughout the day.

--------------------

Re: Popcorn very high ISF new
      #279443 - 08/22/06 08:20 AM
Syl

Thank you for the clarification. Having looked at the ingredients to corn pops the oils alone would give me D big time

--------------------

just a thought on cooking for 5! new
      #279463 - 08/22/06 10:24 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

First of all, best of luck to you... stick with the diet, things will surely turn around.

It must be hard to cook for 5, I'm sure it's highly unlikely you can convince them to eat just the stuff on YOUR diet. That would make things easy, but we know it isn't going to happen!

One thing you can do is keep a surplus in your fridge of safe foods for you. Keep some rice, grilled chicken, some safe chicken soup, leftovers from yesterday, whatever's safe. That way you're not having to cook for 5 then cook for yourself as well, which would take up your whole evening!

Keep a stash of good snacks with you during the day too so you're not famished when you get home, then struck with the task of dinner for the family before you can eat for yourself.

It's a hard adjustment, but like anything, keep at it for a few days and the habit will start to sink in, and you'll feel better too.

BTW, the tomato sauce is probably what did it the other day for you. Unless I'm feeling *really good* I have to stay away from it. It's a ticket to the bathroom for sure!

Good luck!
-Brenda

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

staying away from the sauce new
      #279469 - 08/22/06 10:39 AM
sapphiremel

I guess I will stay away from the sauce a few of you have said it bothers you too. That is going to make it harder now as I love Pasta w/ sauce and if it was a safe food it would have been easy for me. Have to look up some pasta recipes.

--------------------
IBS D

thanks for helping new
      #279473 - 08/22/06 10:44 AM
sapphiremel

thanks for trying to help me understand the fat contents still need to learn it better but i'll get it. For now I take it one day at a time and just eat the sf food only. I haven't tried IF recently because I had kidney beans once and had D but it could have been the sauce. I am going to stay away from sauce which is going to be very hard on me It happens to be my favorite diet or not. anyway I still have a lot to learn but I not giving up too many people on here are feeling better and one day I hope that will be me.
Thanks everyone for listening this board is great.!!!

--------------------
IBS D

one last question new
      #279482 - 08/22/06 10:57 AM
sapphiremel

If i do the break the cycle diet just eat what's on the sf only, I was going to have grill chicken but should i not have that and just have the rice tonight and the next few nights only. Today I just had a bagel and some pretzel, my supplement also. Is that what I am surpose to do for a couple of days is 3 days ok yesterday I have a boca chicken patty w/rice not sure I should have had that either. Stay away from the chicken right now?

--------------------
IBS D

Re: one last question new
      #279525 - 08/22/06 01:44 PM
Sand

The Break The Cycle Diet is only Soluble Fiber foods, plus soluble fiber supplements and herbal teas. So, no chicken for sure. I think the Bocca patties are soy, but I'm sure they have spices and they probably have fat, so no to them, too.

This is insanely boring and the only way I can keep from beginning to gnaw on the furniture while I'm on it is to eat a little bit at a time a zillion times a day. However, it's only for three days maximum. The idea is to give your tummy absolutely nothing it can possibly object to. Once the three days are up, you can start adding in more foods carefully as described in the Break The Cycle information.

I know that oatmeal is on the list and rice (which includes brown rice) but based on my own experiences with these foods, I'd skip the oatmeal completely while on the Break The Cycle Diet and I'd eat white rice, but not brown. The couple of times I did this, I stuck to applesauce, bananas, French and Italian bread, white rice, and pasta.

HTH.

--------------------

Re: I believe I told you Stacy's Chips _Sand _ new
      #279530 - 08/22/06 02:45 PM
LtDanFan

Sand,
I wasn't doubting your post, I did the math and came up with the same ratio you did and did realize they are on the higher end of the safe fat ratio. I just didn't understand the post stating the percentage was 15%??? Unless it's not a percentage on Stacy's. I was not making a dig at your post!!! I was just venting on how confused I get on different posts, which I thought were regarding the same product!!! Thanks
Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Stacy's Pita Chips to Syl new
      #279531 - 08/22/06 02:47 PM
LtDanFan

Were you figuring this on Stacy's Pita Chips? I came up with the a little over 27% fat per serving as Sand did, that is why I got confused. If you have a better brand or less fat brand Pita chip, can I have the name. Thanks

--------------------

Re: I believe I told you Stacy's Chips - LtDanFan new
      #279541 - 08/22/06 04:08 PM
Sand

I didn't mean I thought you were doubting me. I'm sorry if I sounded cranky. Bad day.

--------------------

Re: I believe I told you Stacy's Chips - Sand new
      #279546 - 08/22/06 04:31 PM
LtDanFan

I never doubt anyone who's been on this list or has more IBS experience than me. I just wonder when the percentages don't add up in some posts?? Then I become very confused. If someone tells me it's iffy, or a risk or a lil too much fat, than I listen.

--------------------

Re: Stacy's Pita Chips to Syl new
      #279547 - 08/22/06 04:33 PM
Syl

Sand calculated the percentage of calories due to fat. I calculated the percentage of fat in a portion by weight.

They are two completely different measures but both have the same objective which is to minimize fat.

For example, a portion of Stacy's pita chips weight 40 grams and it contains 6 grams of fat. There the percentage of fat by weight is 6/40*100 = 15%.

Most of what I eat is very low fat or no fat (rice, veggies, chicken, fish, etc). I found that I could use a simple approach which was to limit my "higher but still low fat foods" to those that have less than 15% fat by weight. It is a much simpler calculation than calculating percentage of oil/fat by calories.

For 15 years or so I limited myself to small portions of snack foods with less than 10% fat by weight. Later, I figured out that specific oils were triggers e.g. oils/fat such as cottonseed, palm, soybean and most hydrogenated oils/fats. Eventually I figured out that I could tolerate olive, canola and sunflower oils better and therefore I was able to increase by oil intake to snack foods etc with 15% oil by weight for those foods containing oils I could tolerate.

Overall, my daily oil/fat intake as a percentage of calories is well below 25%. I would guess that it is closer to 15%

PS - I found that while the daily intake of fat is important a more important factor from the point of view of triggers is the amount of fat consumed at a point in time. For me a very small portion of high fat food can cause problems even though my daily intake of fat was quite low. Oh the things you learn living with this disease for 30+ years

--------------------

Edited by Syl (08/22/06 04:57 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 897 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review