All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
new here--- lots of pills with my food
      #279047 - 08/19/06 03:53 PM
lynn_nord

Reged: 08/19/06

hi,
I've had IBS for 25 years, but the last three days I have had a flu bug that has aggravated everything enough to send me searching for help, which is how I found you all. I am hopeful about eating for IBS because my experience already confirms the information about SF being my friend. I have been puzzled about not being able to eat tossed salads! Now I get it. Also, in the last three weeks I have started taking lactaid with dairy, which sometimes helps, but not always. I love milk, cheese,ice cream, and most dairy products, and if I can't handle whey or casien, I don't know what I will do.

Breakfast the last several days: Three fibercons, two lactaids, one loperamide, then a bowl of cereal with milk. A bit later, another loperamide. Stomach ache followed by two pepto-bismol caps. Lunch: three fibercons, one loperamide, a few bites of chicken breast, water, dry toast. Stomach ache, bloating, diarrhea, vomiting (the flu part).

I will buy Eating for IBS asap.

Lynn

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new here--- lots of pills with my food new
      #279063 - 08/19/06 06:05 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Hi,
I'm also relatively new to the site. Like you I'm working through Eating for IBS. I just wanted to mention to you that my pharmacist once told me that pepto bismal is one of the worst things for your stomache.

I can't remember specifically her reasoning but I can tell you that I use to take pepto all the time. The day I'd take them I was good, but later that evening and the next day, I had wicked D. I am strictly on the immodium kick now.

This may not affect you at all, or it could play a small part. I just wanted to offer some feedback that was given to me a while back.

Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#279078 - 08/19/06 08:32 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

To add to the other post here, Peptobismol and all other antacids have a laxative effect. They may give you some temporary relief, however, they will cause problems afterwards. Especially if you are IBS-D, like me.

When I get the flu, if I am having D I stick to Immodium. It's my godsend! If you have nausea and upset tummy, I swear by chamomile and peppermint teas. They help to relax your tummy and your entire GI tract. Plus, they will help get fluids back into your sick little self! Try them! I think you'll be pleased. And of course, eat as safe as you can.

Hope you feel better soon!

#279082 - 08/19/06 08:55 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Try almond Breeze for your milk substitute. I do not like soy milk but the Almond Breeze seems real close to me to milk.

#279091 - 08/19/06 10:30 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi and welcome.

You'll have to eliminate all dairy from your diet and find dairy substitutes.

#279111 - 08/20/06 08:25 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

...I love milk, cheese,ice cream, and most dairy products, and if I can't handle whey or casien, I don't know what I will do. ...
Lynn

I assure you, it can be done! I am a big cheese lover, too, but at the end of the day, it's just not worth the pain and agony. (I can't even eat fat-free cow's milk cheese without getting D, unfortunately).

IMO there is just no really good plant-based replacement for hard cheeses, but if you end up having to forego animal-based dairy products, there are some great plant-based substitutes for things like cream cheese, sour cream and ice cream. The Tofutti(R) brand products, for one, are terrific! My husband even eats them and likes them a lot (he is lactose intolerant).

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#279156 - 08/20/06 11:40 AM
lynn_nord

Reged: 08/19/06

Thanks for the replies! I am glad this is such an active forum.

I thought pepto was just to "settle the tummy," but the other reason I am taking so many different things is that each bottle says, "Take no more than [some number] in a 24 hour period." I will easily use up the allotment of any one thing, so I was trying to allow the maximum of each one, spread throughout the meals. For IBS-D, should I just ignore the limits? If the reason for the limit on loperamide (imodium) is simply to avoid constipation, for instance, I'll take my chances!

Milk has only been a problem in the last few month; before that I could eat any dairy except excess cheese, so I assumed this new reaction was newly developed lactose intolerance. Sigh.

I appreciate the suggestions for good tasting substitues. I can't imagine learning to like soy milk, but am willing to try the almond stuff. And the tofutti cream cheese, perhaps :-)

Anyway, the main questions for now: can I take as much imodium as I want? And how does fennel tea actually taste?

Lynn

--------------------
IBS-D

#279158 - 08/20/06 11:59 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Rice Dream milk substitute tastes great too. The silk soy isn't bad either.

I used to eat lots of cheeses, milk, and other dairy products without any problems, but about 7 or 8 years ago I started to have problems with it. I've had IBS my whole life so I know the IBS didn't cause my lactose intollerance.

#279202 - 08/20/06 05:11 PM
GaiasSong

Re. Immodium: my box of it says the recommended dosage is up to 4 tablets a day. I'm still trying to get stable, but I haven't had to go over that dosage yet. For me, a little of it seems to go a long way. I have mostly been splitting them in half and taking 1/2 with morning meal and 1/2 with evening meal. However, I tested myself on popcorn this weekend (bad) and had to go up to 3 a day. (I just had to have the personal experience of knowing if popcorn was ok for *me*, now I know it's not... won't be doing that again!)

Added: I saw tonight in some back posts where several folks said it's OK to take up to 10-12 a day. Just to be on the safe side, check with your Doc.

--------------------

Edited by GaiasSong (08/20/06 06:53 PM)

#279204 - 08/20/06 05:18 PM
GaiasSong

Quote:

... I appreciate the suggestions for good tasting substitues. I can't imagine learning to like soy milk, but am willing to try the almond stuff. And the tofutti cream cheese, perhaps :-) ...

I really only use soymilk on my cereal, and it is suitable for that. I've never been one to sit down and drink soymilk (or any kind of milk) by the glass. However, you should give chocolate Silk(R) a try ... it is fabulous. I started treating myself to that since I have had to give up coffee.

Almond milk is very tasty for cereal, and it comes in a chocolate (as well as vanilla and plain) flavor for drinking if you like, as well. You will find they taste a bit "different" at first and feel a little different on your tongue, but they are easy to get used to. My tastes changed as I used the new products for a few weeks.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4587 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review