All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Reducing sugar intake
      #278546 - 08/16/06 10:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I have gotten into the habit of having to eat a dessert (safe brownies or cakes, etc) after dinner every night. I would like to break this habit...but it just doesn't feel "finished" and satisfied without the dessert.

How do you stop eating so much sugar? How do you guys and gals "end" your dinners? Any suggestions?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reducing sugar intake new
      #278556 - 08/16/06 11:09 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas since I seem to have the same problem right now and know exactly what you mean by 'unfinished', especially since I had to give up all the desserts with more fat in them. I would also love to hear anybody else's suggestions on this one because I am IBS-D and have PCOS. Reducing my sugar intake would definitely help me to lose weight and keep it off.

#278559 - 08/16/06 11:21 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I end my meals with a few after dinner mints. They are just a little bit sweet and put a good flavor in your mouth. Plus they're mint...so they help your tummy too. I suck on them all the time throughout the day to keep my tummy calm...and just for a little treat.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

I'm not going to be much help new
      #278562 - 08/16/06 11:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm currently really watching what I eat, but I still allow myself my one treat a day: a sugary dessert. I try to go with something that's an easily-controlled portion - i.e., a serving of pudding is somehow more satisfying than an actual serving of soy ice cream or cake - but I don't believe in deprivation, so I refuse to give that up.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than fruit as an alternative. Artificial sweeteners are major IBS triggers, so don't even go there!

#278615 - 08/16/06 04:17 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I'm diabetic, so dessert is always a bit difficult for me...but when I feel like something sweet, I love to make myself a fruit dessert with fresh berries or peaches and non-dairy whipped cream (there is an IBS safe brand called "Hip Whip" that you can get at Whole Foods, which is sweetened with grape juice)...there's not much sugar, and hardly any calories, but it still feels indulgent. If you're looking to cut out dessert all together, mints are also a good choice, as are hot herbal teas, flavored with cinnamon or vanilla extract.

If you really want to break the habit though, the easiest thing to do is just go cold turkey. Once I stopped having dessert, the need completely went away, and I hardly think about it anymore.

But seriously, a little indulgence can be really healthy, so don't be afraid to dive in from time to time!

--------------------
Julia

#278639 - 08/16/06 05:48 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How about some angel food cake?

I've looked at some Angel food cake new
      #278649 - 08/16/06 06:36 PM
Jordy

...and it had lots of sugar! thanks for the thought though!

--------------------

#278650 - 08/16/06 06:41 PM
Jordy

Quote:

If you really want to break the habit though, the easiest thing to do is just go cold turkey. Once I stopped having dessert, the need completely went away, and I hardly think about it anymore.

I hope that happens to me. Tonight is the first night without dessert. I'm trying to be satisfied with my peppermint tea....but it's not the same as my chocolate brownies!

I just don't think it's healthy to eat a sugary dessert every single day. There should be lots of foods that I can eat that don't keep me feeling deprived, right? So, wish me luck!

I know sugar is not "suppose" to be an IBS trigger, but I swear I've been more constipated, gassy since starting this habit. I remember when desserts were only for special occasions...holidays, birthdays...

Maybe I'll try to cut down to once a week treat.

--------------------

#278651 - 08/16/06 06:43 PM
Jordy

I'll have to look for this. What kind do you use? Are they those tiny square colored candies?

--------------------

#278657 - 08/16/06 06:55 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I rarely eat "dessert." Julia is correct--it is a habbit. Sugar-laden foods do not exist in my household. I do not allow them to enter my home as I consider them addictive and toxic. Set limits/boundaries. If I have anything after dinner it is often chilled steamed carrots or some other vegetable. I generally crave salty (or sour) versus sweet. Distract yourself with another activity or after dinner tradition. A flavourful tea is a wonderful start. Perhaps some sort of physical activity or creative mental pursuit?

Kate, IBS-D.

But I'd rather have a brownie than carrots or an activity!-nt new
      #278666 - 08/16/06 07:13 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: But I'd rather have a brownie than carrots or an activity!-nt new
      #278673 - 08/16/06 07:41 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm like you, need something sweet after a meal. For me lately it's soy ice cream or a fruit-juice popsicle, or fresh fruit. I'm not sure if these would be triggers for you, but what about a couple of dried figs (I think they help me with C), or warm applesauce, or soy vanilla yoghurt with some berries in it...or, with even less sugar, a really nice herbal tea with some sweetness to it, like vanilla roiboos, decaf chai, or ginger/lemon/honey...
Or you could do what they always tell you in women's magazines - brush your teeth right after dinner, then distract yourself by calling a friend, reorganizing your cutlery drawer, etc...

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

some ideas new
      #278679 - 08/16/06 07:47 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i actually dislike cake and chocolate, so for me it is easier, but,..
try applesauce with cinnamon in it and maybe a crushed walnut
any peeled fruit with some almond butter
mashed bananas with a bit of peanut butter and a tad of chocolate syrop
etc. or make your own breads that are not chocolate based and replace the sugar with applesauce in the recipe for banana bread or carrot loaf, for a while you will miss the sugar, but your tastebuds adjust and then sugary things start to gross you out.

#278699 - 08/17/06 04:55 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Yep. They are usually pale pink, green, yellow, and white. Sometimes they're called party mints. I don't think the brand matters. There isn't much in them.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#278759 - 08/17/06 10:25 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Right now because it's summertime, my husband will cut up fresh peaches and add whatever berries we have around. It's sweet, it takes a while to eat, and it's really satisfying.

You could also try going cold turkey on any sort of dessert for the next couple of weeks if it's the habit that's more worrying than what you're actually eating. Personally, I don't think having a single serving of something sugary once a day is anything to worry about. Eliminating that would cause more stress (and more IBS) than keeping it in!

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review