All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Diabetes
      #278437 - 08/15/06 02:38 PM
sholker

Reged: 05/26/04

I have been following the Eating for IBS diet for almost two years. During that time I have had to stay pretty much to carbs, and very few fruits and vegetables. It seemed everytime I started to add these items back into my diet, it would make me sick. Also, I have found it very difficult to take vitamins as these would also make me sick. Now that it has been almost two years, I have recently begun to feel tingling in my hands and feet - I belive I may be in great trouble with Diabetes due to the amount of carbohydrates I consume.

I wanted to know if there was anyone who can ease my mind that has already been diagnosed with Diabetes that you have been able to successfully manage your glucose levels and stay with the IBS diet. I have been able to put back into my diet the following vegetables: Green Beans, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Wax Beans. Fruits I can now eat are cantelope, honey dew, watermelon. As for the carbs, I have every meal with either french bread, potatoes, rice, or pasta. All of these are not good for people with Diabetes.

Please shed some light - I believe I may have screwed up my life due to this IBS!!! I have always been very healthy eater when it comes to fruits and vegetables until now.

Please help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Diabetes new
      #278485 - 08/15/06 07:39 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Try searching the boards for diabetes - I know this has been discussed to death before! There are several foods that are both high in soluble fiber and have a low glycemic index/glycemic load: sweet potatoes and barley are the two that come to mind first.

The fruits and veggies you are trying now are actually pretty darn challenging, so you will probably be pleasantly surprised when you try safer ones with more SF in them.

One more thing: my husband who is type II diabetic can eat small amounts of pasta and sourdough bread. The key is using small amounts and getting enough protein and fiber in the same meal. Acacia and other SFS can only help in the fiber department!

--AC

#278489 - 08/15/06 07:55 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

try to get some carbs that have more substance, oats release slowly in the body, so try more of those, the melons are very high in sugar, try pureed pears and peaches instead, try buying babyfood, its prepureed.Also quinoa is also a highly digestible, slow releasing grain that is soluble fibre.
As for a multi, it is very important to take one when eating so limitedly, of the 30 or so different ones i have tried only one brand agrees with my tummy, they are called new chapter, they are organic and whole food multi's which makes them easy on the system, get the one called "only one" it is their one a day multi without herbs, as the herbs in the every woman could upset your tummy. Worth a try.

#278515 - 08/16/06 08:03 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Please make sure you get tested for diabetes, it's a simple blood test. Also ask to be tested for vitamin B12 deficiency which has the main symptom as tingling hands and feet, and fatigue. This is brought on by not eating red meat or dairy which are main sources of B12.

Hope you figure it out soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#279631 - 08/23/06 10:53 AM
sholker

Reged: 05/26/04

I have been using the New Chapter for about a week. At first they seemed to go fine. But the last few days, something has been bother my stomach - I noticed there is lactose in the New Chapter Only One vitamins - do you have any problems with lactose? I have also started to eat Banana's again - I know they are okay for IBS but I don't think they are good for someone who has acid reflux. I have been very gassy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3755 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 772

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review