All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Soy Products
      #278338 - 08/15/06 06:02 AM
unekme

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Orem, Utah

I have used soy milk and meats for years, but these last few weeks stopped the soy milk. I notice that every day at work I get severe gas and bloated in the afternoon that goes through the evening, but not on the weekends. I eat vegan burgers at work, which are made from soy. Does any one else have reactions to soy, as I feel this is part of my problem. I am left with rice milk, which doesn't sound good. I can not have nuts of any kind as I am allergic to them.
Also, I notice in most of the posts that the main IBS problems are with diarreha. I have severe constipation and would like any suggestions. I do use the accacia powder, but I feel since I had to change my eating habits, the constipation is worse. I also have actually gained weight because I have to eat differently now. Like the rest of this group, I'm so frustrated with this. I've just started dating a wonderful guy and haven't the courage to tell him about the gas and bloating and cramping. He knows about the IBS, but just the food restrictions I have.
Just had to vent this morning, thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Products new
      #278339 - 08/15/06 06:09 AM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

YES!! Just recently I stopped drinking the soy milk that had been so much a staple in my diet this past year and the terrible gas and bloating I experienced each afternoon has gone away. I think soy was the cause of that particular problem. Beano did not help. However, Beano has allowed me to eat a Morning Star Farm veggie pattie...Just thought some validation might help -- thanks for your post.

#278345 - 08/15/06 06:57 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would give Beano a try with the soy products. It helped me a lot, but might be different for everyone. I can eat as much soy as I want now as long as I have Beano with it.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278347 - 08/15/06 07:11 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I also used to drink soy milk every morning and would get gas/bloating in the afternoon. I switched to vanilla rice milk, which is really good! I actually like it better than soy milk. I agree with the others that Beano can work wonders for preventing gas caused by soy. Give it a shot. I'm also a C, and a vegetarian, and I just try to eat a good amount of IF with every meal. If I don't get enough IF, I end up with C. But you have to find a balance - don't overdo the IF!

Good luck,
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#278348 - 08/15/06 07:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I'm also a C, and a vegetarian, and I just try to eat a good amount of IF with every meal. If I don't get enough IF, I end up with C. But you have to find a balance - don't overdo the IF!

Yep, I agree and I'm C too. You need to get enough IF, but you also have to get enough SF or otherwise you'll just get crampy and more C. And liquids and exercise are also key!

--AC

#278360 - 08/15/06 08:07 AM
unekme

Because of food restrictions I have had for years, not knowing it was partly IBS, I have to have protein in the morning, and now that I can not have soy, what else do others eat. I can not have any dairy, nuts, and of course, only white chicken and seafood. I basically have gone vegan, but now feel really restricted without soy. I am low blood sugar and low blood pressure, so get very weak and dizzy in the mornings. Any suggestions?

#278363 - 08/15/06 08:23 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I also feel weak in the mornings, low blood sugar to blame. I eat oatmeal (acacia sprinkled on) with some berries, and drink water with acacia. This settles my stomach pretty well and then I have something more substantial like peanut butter on toast, soy milk, or egg whites. I eat often in the morning, little snacks of safe food. I also have a Luna bar if I'm feeling like I need more energy to keep me going until lunch. I eat an early lunch and make sure to get lots of protein. Have you tried Luna bars?

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278370 - 08/15/06 09:02 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What about scrambled egg whites? I like to add plain granola (which has protein) to my cream of rice cereal, or you could blend it in a smoothie. Are there ANY nut butters that you could eat on toast, or are all of them off-limits?

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#278371 - 08/15/06 09:19 AM
unekme

The scrambled egg whites sound like they would work. I can only have pistachios, all of the other nuts cause a bad reaction. I don't know if pistachios would make a spread as they have very little oil in them.

#278372 - 08/15/06 09:22 AM
unekme

I can not have any nuts, soy products, caffein or dairy. I have checked the Luna bars, but most of them have any of the foods I can't have. I'll check again to see if there are any safe ones I can have. My food allergies were here long before the IBS, which just restricted my food consumption even more. Sometimes I feel it's just easier to not eat.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review