All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some advice
      #278123 - 08/12/06 09:24 PM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

Tomorrow we have been invited to go on a canoe trip with friends. It will be about 4 hours out on the river. As far as I know this is not a river lined with porta-pottys. I am so nervous. I don't want to go because where would I go if I had to go? Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated. Should I just go and see what happens? I have been under a lot of stress lately and it has been making my IBS a little iffy. I love to go on such adventures but have yet to really try some for fear of having an attack in such a place...and with friends/stangers there. Ya know?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice new
      #278132 - 08/12/06 11:09 PM
Langley99

Reged: 07/19/06

Going to be completely honest. I've resorted to using Imodium as a preventative before social things or when I'm away from home for an extended period (other than the trip to work, which almost always is fine because it's routine).

Imodium may be what you need. Just 1 a few hours before you go. If you're like me, 1-2 imodium will stop you up completely for 2 days (2 days of freedom) and then it's back to normal slowly.

#278150 - 08/13/06 07:47 AM
T~N~T

I do take imodium as a preventative. Almost everyday. I just don't think sometimes it is enough to make me feel comfortable enough to take that long journey down the river. The 30 minute ride there is scary enough. I guess I just need to try it and see what happens.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#278181 - 08/13/06 03:00 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Besides the immodium the night before I also take Lorazapam, similar to Xanax without the next day tiredness for me. My doc was not surprised when I told her the lorazapam helps calm down my bowel spasms when they start. Now going down a river might be more of a challenge than I would willing to take but sure do admire those who can do these fun things. Good luck and have fun.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#278192 - 08/13/06 05:45 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I use immodium on a regular basis, I'm IBS-D. My husband and I also go kayaking on occassional weekends when weather permits. Normally when I know we're going kayaking, the day before I take 2 immodium in the morning and 2 in the evening before supper. THen the morning of the kayaking day I take 2 more. THis has not failed me yet.

I know that is a lot of immodium, it works for my system but may be too much for you. Only you can judge and if you use immodium regularly, you should know how much you can take.

I think that once you get out there, you will enjoy it and it will be relaxing and quite enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I always have a small wad of toilet paper...just in case. I don't know how wide your river is, but the canoe can mosey on up to the side, if need be.

But I think...based on my experience, you will love being out on the river and may even help eleviate some of your stress a little.

I hope you decide to go. Take care!
Claudia

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#278297 - 08/14/06 01:58 PM
T~N~T

That is some great advice. Unfortunately I missed the trip because my boyfriend wasn't feeling well. This time is wasn't me! I was just scared. You are right though, I definately should do it before summer is over. I love the outdoors!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#278312 - 08/14/06 04:20 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Well if you do decide to go again, let me know and I'll send some more encouragement your way.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1990 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review