All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Having problems with Buying Breads
      #277964 - 08/11/06 04:33 AM
MrsJones

Reged: 02/19/06
Loc: London, Ontario Canada

Hi Everyone, I am having a hard time locating bread that I can use on a regular basis. Just when I thought I have found something the store will stop carrying it. I am in Ontario Canada. I was wondering about Ezekiel Breads I am starting to see everywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having problems with Buying Breads new
      #277980 - 08/11/06 07:50 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi and welcome to the boards. I used to live in London, Ontario and now I am in Woodstock. When I lived in London I would get my bread at Angelo's. I always buy fresh white bakery bread because I can't stand the taste or smell of preservatives. Another place to get nice bread is at A&P. I always buy french bread or just plain white sandwhich bread. Be cautious of dairy and whole eggs. For some types they like to brush the tops with eggs (sourdough, etc).
Good Luck! I am craving Angelo's now

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Having problems with Buying Breads new
      #277983 - 08/11/06 08:18 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I have bought the Ezekiel Breads before and I found that they are really good! They are organic and have no preservatives, but since there are no preservatives, it goes bad very quickly. Because of this, I have to keep it frozen in the freezer. I hope this helps!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Bread in Ontario new
      #277985 - 08/11/06 08:27 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello!

Do you ever make trips to the Toronto area? If so, you can buy IBS safe bread at any Open Window bakery. The safest is its white bread. You could buy it and freeze it for up to a month. (I find it gets stale in the freezer after that.)

Most of the Open Window bakeries are in the Toronto area, but there is also one in Tilbury. (See http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/searchBusiness.do?what=Open+Window&srchtype=business&provinceId=ON&sType=nationalSearch&step=find&Se=pvn&x=65&y=10)

All of Open Window's bread products are "parve" meaning they do not contain any milk products. I've been buying Open Window's white bread and white bagels for years. My IBS is very severe and this bread has never bothered me.

Several other options are to buy a white pitabread that doesn't contain any additives or milk products. You would have to check the brands available at your local supermarket and health food store.

Another option is to see if there is a Jewish bakery in the London area. Jewish bakeries typically bake bread with no milk products, as part of their dietary laws. Of course, milk-free white bread is generally safe for IBS people!

Another option is to buy Yehuda matzoh (again from a Jewish store). I buy it at Fortinos supermarket in Toronto and I find it is agrees with me even better than bread. It is made with just white wheat flour and water and it looks like crackers although it tastes much better!

E-mail me if you need information on other IBS-safe products available in Ontario. Also, you might want to try contacting HanSolo (do a search on this site...she has had lots of postings). She lives in London, Ont. and is extremely knowledgeable. I'm sure she would know exactly where you could get bread.

Is Ezekiel bread safe? new
      #282719 - 09/17/06 07:37 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

..........for some of us? Anyone here eat this bread?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Dutch Country new
      #282754 - 09/18/06 03:11 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I use Dutch Country Whole Grain White by Brownberry. There's no dairy. It does contain HFCS though but that doesn't seem to affect me much. I think I've looked at all the other breads around and that's the only one I've found without dairy. Good luck.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: Is Ezekiel bread safe? new
      #282759 - 09/18/06 05:42 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

it has way too much stuff in it, plus its actually very bland, it seems that all the strong flavours of the grains seem to compete with each other and cancel each other out, i much oprefer a spelt sourdough or rye breda to ezekiel, plus there are beans in there, so its very heavy for digestion.

#282760 - 09/18/06 05:53 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

I agree, whenever I eat Ezekiel bread (I'm gluten-free), I immediately feel bloated and icky. I've tried white rice bread which seems to be better...

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

#282786 - 09/18/06 08:18 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Does eating gluten free help if you don't have celiac disease? Where do you find rice bread? Any particular brand you recommend.

At this point, I'm up for anything...although white rice bread may constipate me more than I already am. Are you D or C?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Bread maker new
      #282803 - 09/18/06 08:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I solved the problem by buying a bread maker. I have been using it for 5 years and I have not had to buy commercially made bread since. It gives me total control over the ingredients and it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review