All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Will the stomach ache ever end??? In a lot of pain
      #277611 - 08/08/06 08:55 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been part of this board since 2003 and hae had my ups and downs, but have YET to make it 30 days without an attack. I started Acacia one June 26, hoping after trying all other fibers over the past 20+ years it would help, I did really well for about 3 weeks, than boom, sever colon pain, IBS attacks, diarrhea, nausea, tons of bloating, I just don't know what else to do, I am eating next to nothing and still taking the Acacia, but I am getting so discouraged!! I had a severe attack last night, one like I hadn't had in a while, but it hurt, followed by my trademark explosive diarrhea. I was taking citrucel before the acacia and did a slow transistion, but I have to wonder will I ever be pain free??? I read all these great testimonials and just do not understand why I can't regulate......I rarely stray and just don't understand how plain rice, and water, fennel tea, peppermint caps and my acacia can cause me so much pain??? I've had 3 colonoscopies and my GI doc is clueless. I'm sorry I guess I just needed to vent and know I will be okay, I can't imagine having attacks with as much pain as I do, when I'm 50 or 60, I would think it would kill me. Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions or thoughts would be very appreciated

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? In a lot of pain new
      #277614 - 08/08/06 09:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Oh, hon. I'm so sorry. I don't really have any suggestions for you. Even though you're feeling bad, I would still incorporate at least SOME fruits and veggies - even if you stick close to the SF list like applesauce and bananas and sweet potatoes. Have you tried imodium??? I've discovered their instant dissolve pills and love them. When you're having D that severe, I would try that. Heck, try one or two every time you have an attack. There are some on this board who take immodium every single day.
Do you drink pep tea? It is a pain reliever and will help with the spasms. Try that - I find it works.
Keep trudging on, and.....
HUGS!!!!
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#277623 - 08/08/06 09:23 AM
LtDanFan

Alicia,

Thanks for the hugs!!! I have tried Imodium and just one will constipate me.....even though I am primarily explosive D, they will do that to me. I have tried peeled apples and bananas. I have reflux and someone on this board said I shouldn't drink the peppermint tea, even though the caps bother me more than the tea did, I think I will start drinking the peppermint tea again, along with the fennel. There are times I get soooo hungry. I take Librax and it is supposed to be constipating..........go figure?

C

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? Another thing re: Acacia new
      #277624 - 08/08/06 09:29 AM
LtDanFan

Do you think it's to soon to give up on the Acacia, I'm taking 3tsp am, 2tsp afternoon, 3 tsp pm? Just wondering how long you should give a fiber to see if it's really right for you

--------------------

#277640 - 08/08/06 10:51 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hey Girl,
I definitley know how it feels to think that the pain will never end But remember to keep hope alive!
Have you been ever been tested for small intestinal bowel overgrowth? parasites? celiacs? These things can cause chronic D besides IBS. Also, I know exactly what you mean with the immodium, Im the same way, one immodium constipates me BIG time. I have had IBS with diarrhea every day for years, then my doctor have be an abdominal x-ray and said that I was so constipated that I nearly had an obstruction that was causing me so much pain and D. It was so my suprise that the immodium I was taking was actually making me worse. Anyway, I pray that you feel better soon. Please remember that everything will be okay.

#277645 - 08/08/06 11:59 AM
chica77

Reged: 07/25/06

Sorry to hear about your pain...chin up! I think you should try being tested for Celiac disease..you may be allergic to gluten and that may be causing it...try going gluten free for a while and see if you feel better....go online and search for a gluten free diet to see what that is......try sticking to just oatmeal and chicken breast and some steamed carrots for a while....I did that when I was having severe stomach problems and once it was normalized I started eating other things. Try Acacia for 2 weeks before you give up, but start SLOW...gradually increase to a larger dose and drinks lots of water..if the peppermint bothers you than don't drink it..try chamomile

#277646 - 08/08/06 12:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I actually noticed that the Acacia was working so well for me when I tried to stop taking it. I noticed I couldn't handle as much IF as I usually could. I'm now trying to take more acacia to see if it will help more.

I was just wondering if you've tried taking calcium pills? I find they cause less C than Imodium, and could help.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278321 - 08/14/06 08:01 PM
StephanieF

Reged: 09/29/05

Have you tired antidepressants? They have helped me in the past when I didn't know much about IBS and what to do so my doctor gave them to me to try.

#278408 - 08/15/06 12:43 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Once upon a time I was sitting in the same chair that you are now. I had frequent attacks that left me in pain, and often unable to eat much for up to two weeks. I got so fearful of food that for one solid year in my early 30s I ate nothing but chicken soup (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) which I made myself by boiling chicken, carrots and rice (nothing else). I dropped to 74 pounds and still I was getting painful attacks. Pretty sad, eh?

Thank goodness I now am pain-free almost 100 per cent of the time. I still get D every now and then, but it is quite predictable around my M.

If you want to e-mail me, I'll do what I can to guide you on how you can apply Heather's diet to work for you. Given your continuing pain, I recommend you immediately remove acacia from your diet because not everyone can tolerate it and it can cause painful attacks -- especially if you are eating little else.

If you write to me, please let me know where you live so I can figure out what things might be available in your area that you could tolerate.

Unfortunately, it is my belief that in order to get well some of us may need to spend more for our grocery bill to buy things without additives, harmones or antibiotics. Food supply, quantities consumed, frequency of intake, what you eat with your food, etc. are all factors that can play into whether you get attack or not, in addition to the diet itself.

By the way, plain write rice has cause me to get sick ... but not when I buy a particular brand of white rice. I had to try quite a few varieties until I found one that worked for me and apparently others on this message board have had similar experiences.

Hope you feel better soon.

Belinda

#278416 - 08/15/06 01:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry you are in so much pain.

Try reducing the Acacia.... maybe you are just taking too much for now, which can cause gas, bloating, etc... you can always try to increase later, after you have adjusted to the smaller amount. And be sure to drink plenty of water... you need it, to help the Acacia work right.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3561 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review