All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Will the stomach ache ever end??? In a lot of pain
      #277611 - 08/08/06 08:55 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been part of this board since 2003 and hae had my ups and downs, but have YET to make it 30 days without an attack. I started Acacia one June 26, hoping after trying all other fibers over the past 20+ years it would help, I did really well for about 3 weeks, than boom, sever colon pain, IBS attacks, diarrhea, nausea, tons of bloating, I just don't know what else to do, I am eating next to nothing and still taking the Acacia, but I am getting so discouraged!! I had a severe attack last night, one like I hadn't had in a while, but it hurt, followed by my trademark explosive diarrhea. I was taking citrucel before the acacia and did a slow transistion, but I have to wonder will I ever be pain free??? I read all these great testimonials and just do not understand why I can't regulate......I rarely stray and just don't understand how plain rice, and water, fennel tea, peppermint caps and my acacia can cause me so much pain??? I've had 3 colonoscopies and my GI doc is clueless. I'm sorry I guess I just needed to vent and know I will be okay, I can't imagine having attacks with as much pain as I do, when I'm 50 or 60, I would think it would kill me. Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions or thoughts would be very appreciated

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? In a lot of pain new
      #277614 - 08/08/06 09:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Oh, hon. I'm so sorry. I don't really have any suggestions for you. Even though you're feeling bad, I would still incorporate at least SOME fruits and veggies - even if you stick close to the SF list like applesauce and bananas and sweet potatoes. Have you tried imodium??? I've discovered their instant dissolve pills and love them. When you're having D that severe, I would try that. Heck, try one or two every time you have an attack. There are some on this board who take immodium every single day.
Do you drink pep tea? It is a pain reliever and will help with the spasms. Try that - I find it works.
Keep trudging on, and.....
HUGS!!!!
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#277623 - 08/08/06 09:23 AM
LtDanFan

Alicia,

Thanks for the hugs!!! I have tried Imodium and just one will constipate me.....even though I am primarily explosive D, they will do that to me. I have tried peeled apples and bananas. I have reflux and someone on this board said I shouldn't drink the peppermint tea, even though the caps bother me more than the tea did, I think I will start drinking the peppermint tea again, along with the fennel. There are times I get soooo hungry. I take Librax and it is supposed to be constipating..........go figure?

C

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? Another thing re: Acacia new
      #277624 - 08/08/06 09:29 AM
LtDanFan

Do you think it's to soon to give up on the Acacia, I'm taking 3tsp am, 2tsp afternoon, 3 tsp pm? Just wondering how long you should give a fiber to see if it's really right for you

--------------------

#277640 - 08/08/06 10:51 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hey Girl,
I definitley know how it feels to think that the pain will never end But remember to keep hope alive!
Have you been ever been tested for small intestinal bowel overgrowth? parasites? celiacs? These things can cause chronic D besides IBS. Also, I know exactly what you mean with the immodium, Im the same way, one immodium constipates me BIG time. I have had IBS with diarrhea every day for years, then my doctor have be an abdominal x-ray and said that I was so constipated that I nearly had an obstruction that was causing me so much pain and D. It was so my suprise that the immodium I was taking was actually making me worse. Anyway, I pray that you feel better soon. Please remember that everything will be okay.

#277645 - 08/08/06 11:59 AM
chica77

Reged: 07/25/06

Sorry to hear about your pain...chin up! I think you should try being tested for Celiac disease..you may be allergic to gluten and that may be causing it...try going gluten free for a while and see if you feel better....go online and search for a gluten free diet to see what that is......try sticking to just oatmeal and chicken breast and some steamed carrots for a while....I did that when I was having severe stomach problems and once it was normalized I started eating other things. Try Acacia for 2 weeks before you give up, but start SLOW...gradually increase to a larger dose and drinks lots of water..if the peppermint bothers you than don't drink it..try chamomile

#277646 - 08/08/06 12:32 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I actually noticed that the Acacia was working so well for me when I tried to stop taking it. I noticed I couldn't handle as much IF as I usually could. I'm now trying to take more acacia to see if it will help more.

I was just wondering if you've tried taking calcium pills? I find they cause less C than Imodium, and could help.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278321 - 08/14/06 08:01 PM
StephanieF

Reged: 09/29/05

Have you tired antidepressants? They have helped me in the past when I didn't know much about IBS and what to do so my doctor gave them to me to try.

#278408 - 08/15/06 12:43 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Once upon a time I was sitting in the same chair that you are now. I had frequent attacks that left me in pain, and often unable to eat much for up to two weeks. I got so fearful of food that for one solid year in my early 30s I ate nothing but chicken soup (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) which I made myself by boiling chicken, carrots and rice (nothing else). I dropped to 74 pounds and still I was getting painful attacks. Pretty sad, eh?

Thank goodness I now am pain-free almost 100 per cent of the time. I still get D every now and then, but it is quite predictable around my M.

If you want to e-mail me, I'll do what I can to guide you on how you can apply Heather's diet to work for you. Given your continuing pain, I recommend you immediately remove acacia from your diet because not everyone can tolerate it and it can cause painful attacks -- especially if you are eating little else.

If you write to me, please let me know where you live so I can figure out what things might be available in your area that you could tolerate.

Unfortunately, it is my belief that in order to get well some of us may need to spend more for our grocery bill to buy things without additives, harmones or antibiotics. Food supply, quantities consumed, frequency of intake, what you eat with your food, etc. are all factors that can play into whether you get attack or not, in addition to the diet itself.

By the way, plain write rice has cause me to get sick ... but not when I buy a particular brand of white rice. I had to try quite a few varieties until I found one that worked for me and apparently others on this message board have had similar experiences.

Hope you feel better soon.

Belinda

#278416 - 08/15/06 01:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry you are in so much pain.

Try reducing the Acacia.... maybe you are just taking too much for now, which can cause gas, bloating, etc... you can always try to increase later, after you have adjusted to the smaller amount. And be sure to drink plenty of water... you need it, to help the Acacia work right.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Instant Dissolve Immodium new
      #278474 - 08/15/06 06:00 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

INSTANT dissolve pills?? Where do you find those?

--------------------

Re: Instant Dissolve Immodium new
      #278632 - 08/16/06 05:40 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

In Canada they are Immodium Quick Dissolve. They are individual packets that you place directly on your tongue and they dissolve instantly. They work well for me....and rather quickly.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#278749 - 08/17/06 10:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry you're still having so much pain. Have you tried an anti-spasmodic? I take Donnatol when I mess up my tummy and it helps the pain and the explosiveness without constipating me.

You could try eating more. I know that's almost impossible to do when you're in so much pain, but letting my stomach get empty is one of the worst things I can do. I can always eat applesauce, French bread, and plain pasta. Maybe try the Brown Sugar Banana Bread from EFI - it's pretty much pure soluble fiber, very low fat, and might give you another food to try to keep your stomach filled. I make it with banana baby food instead of "real" bananas - it's just easier. And Skinny Mashed Potatoes are very soothing - leave out the pepper.

I also agree with the poster who suggested having some other tests. It's great you've had your colonoscopy (not so great you've had to have 3), but please be sure you've been checked for everything on Heather's list, plus some of the newer possibilities like SIBO. You'll need to see your gynecologist to be checked for a couple of them, especially endometriosis. It doesn't make sense to me, either, that you're eating nothing but soluble fiber and still suffering so much.

I have mild reflux and I find I can tolerate store-bought peppermint tea - like Lipton - even though Heather's is too strong for me. Traditional Medicinals makes an Eater's Digest tea that I found very helpful when I first started out.

If you started Acacia on June 26, that's quicker than I would have gotten up to 8 teaspoons. If you feel you're worse off since you started the Acacia, then back off on it (maybe 4 teaspoons a day), but if you're about the same as you were before, then I'd stick where you are for a while until you can get some more testing done.

I hope some of this helps. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? To Sand new
      #278768 - 08/17/06 11:03 AM
LtDanFan

I have spoke personally with another person from the list and we are trying a new 3 day diet..... Yes, I have been on and tried every anti-spasmodic in the world!!! The lastest if Librax, which I do not feel does anything anymore, or I wouldn't have spasm. I've tried bentyl, donnatol, levsin, levbid, and librax. If I posted I was taking 8 tsp of Acacia, I made a mistake, I was taking 3tsp in the am and 3tsp before dinner, which makes a total of 12gms of SF just from that. I had been taking citrucel 6 caps am, 6 caps afternoon and 6 caps evening, so it was pretty close the same amount, the citrucel just became too expensive, and I read the letters about the acacia and thought I'd give it a try. I have had upper and lower GI's, all the blood work, the colonoscopies, checked for parasites, had a very slight case of endometrosis, which is not the cause of my pain,I have been told with each colonoscopy where the spasm is and why, but they are usually like "just take your antispasmodic and live"..... I do not know what SIBO is. Where can I find the recipe for the banana bread? Is that Heather's banana bread or do you have a different recipe? Baby food has been suggested to me and I'm going to try that as my "fruit spread". And I'm not sure what EFI is?
Cheryl

--------------------

Where's the Brown Sugar Banana Bread Recipe? new
      #278770 - 08/17/06 11:11 AM
LtDanFan

I went to the recipe exchange and found several banana bread recipes. Which one do I want, the brown sugar one, is not listed as brown sugar banana bread. Help

Cheryl

--------------------

Re: Where's the Brown Sugar Banana Bread Recipe? new
      #278771 - 08/17/06 11:12 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

EFI= Eating For IBS - the diet or the book

The banana bread recipe that Sand mentioned is in the EFI book (Heather's Eating for IBS book)

HTH

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#278773 - 08/17/06 11:17 AM
LtDanFan

I got my book from the library and do not have one now. Is the recipe just in the book? Can someone e-mail it to me?? Or is it one of the ones listed on the recipe exchange list?

Thanks

--------------------

#278776 - 08/17/06 11:37 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Here you go:

Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#278777 - 08/17/06 11:40 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks so much!!!

--------------------

#278797 - 08/17/06 12:26 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I was taking 3tsp in the am and 3tsp before dinner, which makes a total of 12gms of SF just from that. I had been taking citrucel 6 caps am, 6 caps afternoon and 6 caps evening, so it was pretty close the same amount

a total of 12 citrucel caplets is only 6 grams of fiber, not 12! There is only 1 gram per 2 caplets, so you really doubled your fiber.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#278816 - 08/17/06 01:46 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think other people have cleared up most of your questions. The Brown Sugar Banana Bread I was talking about is the one MCV gave you the link for.

SIBO is small intestine bacterial overgrowth. It's kind of a hot topic right now since some people who have been diagnosed with IBS have SIBO either instead or in addition to. Do a couple of Searches across all Boards with no time limits:

do one for SIBO
do one for small bacteria

and you should hit all the discussions of it. I don't know of anyone from these Boards who has tried the treatment for it and been cured, but if I were not getting relief from Heather's approach, I would be talking to my GI about it.

I gather you're going to try the Break The Cycle Diet again. I hope that gives you relief and you are then able to start adding in other foods safely. If not, here are two other possibilities to consider. First, try an anti-depressant if you haven't already. I used Elavil for a while and it shut down the D. Unfortunately, I had to keep upping the dosage to keep the D shut down and eventually the side-effects got to me. Luckily, I found this Website and the diet worked for me, so I went off the Elavil. You might discuss this with your doctor and see what he thinks.

Second, when I got an intestinal virus a couple of years ago, I had terrible cramping and diarrhea - way beyond my "normal" IBS symptoms. The doctor prescribed Tylenol with codeine for me. It took care of the pain and shut down the diarrhea like magic. Obviously, this is not something you could take regularly, but perhaps trying it for a day or two might calm things down and at least give you a little relief.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#278824 - 08/17/06 02:17 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks again. Yes, I have a parasite & ova kit here, I always have one to take to the lab if I think it's not my typical IBS. I had tried Prozac in the past off and on for years. Several years, I can remember a time when I did not know of eating right and ate whatever and took my librax and prozac and I was stable, and remained that way for a while, gained a lot of weight, etc. I'm not sure what happened. I have not been to the 30day mark without an attack, for probably 4 years, 3 of that being on this diet and board, that is why I am soooo confused. I think I did mention I had giardia years ago and my GI told me it never completely goes away. But this is not that, I know when I get that!!! The good ole' break the cycle....we know each other quite well. I am trying something suggested by a member of this board for 3 days to see how that goes, at this point I'm willing to try anything. I guess with the parasited and bacteria I could understand the D, but not the unGodly pain. Also, I don't have it everyday either, just whenever my colon feels like it!!! And out of the blue!!! Thanks,
Cheryl

--------------------

Re: Will the stomach ache ever end??? Jordy new
      #278829 - 08/17/06 02:33 PM
LtDanFan

I was taking 18 total citrucel caplets. Which would have been 9 grams of SF. The acacia was 12gm of SF. Just a difference of 3gm, maybe that was too much.... Just so people realize I didn't double it. Maybe I was just too sensitive by upping it by 3gms a day? However I have cut it back!!! Thanks

--------------------

Cheryl -- endometriosis new
      #278839 - 08/17/06 03:35 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

had a very slight case of endometrosis, which is not the cause of my pain

Sorry to butt in here ... I don't read the diet board much these days -- because I actually don't have IBS, I have endometriosis. (But I still hang out here because I am sad and pathetic.) I do remember a lot of your past posts because your symptoms were so close to mine. And, like you, I had godawful attacks that nothing seemed to help. For a long time I was eating nothing but bread.

So ... I have to ask ... was your endometriosis surgically confirmed? Because there is NO WAY to diagnose endometriosis except by physically looking at it and having a pathologist confirm. Because you say that you had a "slight" case of endometriosis, this makes me think that you probably did have a laparoscopy, since you also can't stage endo without the surgery.

You might find this article on intestinal endometriosis interesting. I would also highly recommend all of the information on the website of the Center for Endometriosis Care -- I actually just had surgery with them. It was a 1700-mile round-trip and cost several thousand dollars, but I felt that it was my best shot at getting rid of my endometriosis.

Anyway, when I was at my sickest, I was having really bad D, pain, and cramping. I wouldn't say that nothing helped, really -- I took scads of Imodium and Levsin, and without them I would've spent all day in the bathroom. BUT, I had to take massive quantities to get to the point of them helping. When I went off my birth control pills (late July 2005), I began experiencing horrific painful attacks about once a week -- sometimes more, sometimes less -- where I had ungodly awful awful awful pain in two localized spots, one on the left and one on the right. I was able to eat less and less and had to pop more and more pills. I started having vaginal bleeding during these attacks, went to my doctor, got sent to an ob-gyn for possible endometriosis, and underwent a laparoscopy (December 2005). I had a LOT of endo, and, in particular, I had lots of scarring around my appendix, which was stuck to the bowel wall.

Post-surgery, it took a couple months but the D pretty much went away except during periods. Unfortunately, the horrid cramping attacks continued, though they didn't happen nearly as often. I stopped having the localized pain on my right side after surgery -- so I guess that it was the appendix that caused that pain. The left side was still painful but wasn't nearly as bad. The pain, however, didn't improve much and just got worse as time went on. That's why I ended up deciding to have surgery again, this time with the best expert I could find. The jury's still out (I'm only a week post-op), but, they did find a ton of endometriosis -- I even lost half of my right ovary. In particular, I once again had a lot of it in the cul-de-sac area -- endo in this spot almost always causes bowel problems. This is also one of the toughest spots to get the endo excised, and usually if you've got it there then unless you have a good surgeon it comes back.

I did end up going back on birth control pills back in April/May-ish because I was so miserable, and after 3-4 weeks I don't think I had any more of the horrible cramping attacks. I went off them again six weeks or so before surgery to make sure that the endo would be at its most visible and I did have a couple of those attacks, but not bad considering how often I used to have them. I've got my fingers crossed they are gone for good!!

Anyway, I guess I sort of wrote a novel here, but the bottom line is that I hope you're dead positive you've got the endometriosis totally ruled out for the source of your pain. I never thought that I had endo -- even when they were wheeling me in the OR for the laparoscopy, I figured it would be just like all the other tests I had where they came up totally empty. Somewhere on the website, Heather has a list of disorders that need to be ruled out before IBS is diagnosed -- I wish I had made sure I diligently ruled them all out rather than just airily dismissing them as "Oh, I'm sure I don't have that." Endo can definitely present itself as mainly GI symptoms, even if your periods don't seem that bad.

Oh, and as far as anti-spasmodics go ... Levsin didn't work that great when I took it as-needed -- it wasn't until I was taking it regularly (every four hours) that I really noticed a difference. Towards the end I also took about 3x what the doctor told me to but I will of course not recommend that. I rarely take Imodium or anti-spasmodics anymore (and I can eat real food, too ).

I hope you can find *something* to help. No one should have to live like that.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Cheryl -- endometriosis - Jen new
      #278844 - 08/17/06 04:03 PM
LtDanFan

Hi Jen,
Yes, I had my first lapo in October of last year and that is when my Gyn found it, lasered what little was there, but I'll tell you, I feel I have had more pain, female, not IBS, menstrual cramping, heaving bleeding and such since that procedure!!! I am back on birth control for the excessive bleeding, I'm doing the 6 weeks on and 1 week off for a trial period to see how that does. However, all 3 colonoscopies have all came to the spastic colon and to the one area major area, (even though I do have the spasm in the ascending, diverse and descending colon) where my pain is most severe, that is goes so spastic that the last one he had to blow so much air through the scope to get my colon to open just so he could finish..........That was a fun next few days working all that air out, if you know what I mean.

When I was prescribed levsinI took 4x a day and took it faithfully and then tried the levbid cause it was a 12hr. so I only had to remember twice a day. That worked for a while, but then I got bad again. I had had every blood test, scope, x-ray, scan, etc. I have confimred GERD, Severe IBS, as my report has read, labs have been negative, stool cultures have been negative, I just don't understand why I'm getting worse as I get older, I had read it's supposed to get better when you get older???? Actually, my husband has diverticulitis and IBS and take levsin as needed, and at times when I go to bed I take a Librax and a levsin before I go to bed, since the majority of my attacks seem to be at night, which has always stumped my doc. So needless to say, they thought the birth control pills was hurting me, now they don't. And before the lapo I was on pills, had regular periods, no pain, no cramps, no heavy bleeding....So I am really frustrated about that now that my female problems have gotten worse since the laser surgery.

Thanks for the response. I hope my response was understandable in stating, that they decided the endo was not the cause of my pain, it is definitely my spastic, retarded colon.

--------------------

Edited by LtDanFan (08/17/06 04:09 PM)

Sorry there! new
      #278903 - 08/18/06 07:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I totally missed the middle dose!

Are you happy with the Acacia? Is it giving you any side effects that you didn't have with citrucel?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7179

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review