All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluable fiber supplements
      #277242 - 08/05/06 08:22 AM
MidwestIBS777

Reged: 07/11/06

Hello all, I've been using metamusil fiber supplements for awhile now but still dont know the exact function of them. If I take the supplements before meals do they take the edge off the meal or do they allow me to dive right into insoluable foods because I am not coated with soluable fiber? Also I seem to be bloated and gassy alot, should I switch brands off the physslium fiber to something else or just take Gas x or something? Thanks let me know.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluable fiber supplements new
      #277248 - 08/05/06 08:54 AM
furi

Reged: 08/01/06
Loc: Germany

I would switch brands to something else
as physslium can cause bloating.
I also have bloating a lot and use apple pectin.
It didn't help with the bloating but it didn't make
it worse. Maybe a combination of a new soluble fiber supplement and beano for example would do.

Re: Soluable fiber supplements new
      #277269 - 08/05/06 01:39 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

there are two functions to the supplement. one is to create a gel in your system, to either solidify D or give your intestines something to grip if you're C. on the other hand, SF (in supplements and food) gets your system digesting easily and smoothly, like warming up before running, or before singing - IF and triggers on an empty stomach can sort of shock it and trigger spasms. however, SF supplements alone aren't enough for the second function - even if you ahve a supplement before a meal, you should still make sure that SF food is a major component of your meal.

some people do find that psyllium causes bloating, so you might want to try something else, but it can also take time to get used to a supplement. make sure you're following the diet closely, and have been for a while, before chalking the problems up to the supplement.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Guar gum fiber powder new
      #277540 - 08/07/06 05:18 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

This is what I use and have had good success with it. It dissolves completely in soft foods and liquids (no bad taste) so I usually put it in my soymilk/juice in the morning. I think guar gum is what is in benefiber though I'm not sure because I buy the walmart knock off. (I had back luck with psyillum husk and inulin - which is in fiber choice - as they both caused bloating which didn't go away with extended use.) Read labels and find a fiber supplement that is 100% soluble fiber. Best of luck!

(great response from jaime g about the functions of fiber!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review