Pages: 1
new here, got some tips?
      #277231 - 08/05/06 05:31 AM
furi

Reged: 08/01/06
Loc: Germany

Hi!
I'm new to this board and so excited
to finally have found some helping place.
I've had IBS for around 3-4 years now and as I'm still
going to school it sometimes poses a big problem.
I already bought the "Eating for IBS" book
and since I'm (most of the time) sticking to the diet
my IBS-D is already getting better.
However I still have severe bloating. Do you have any tips to ease the bloating? I'm trying out Beano at the moment and it seems to work a bit, but over the time it will be too expensive to import it to Germany, so I'll have to find some substitute for it.
Also, how do you manage to avoid all the great tasting foods? When I see a cake I struggle with my conscience for a while and still end up eating it despite the knowledge that it will trigger my symptoms.
Thanks for your help and excuse my bad english

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new here, got some tips? new
      #277249 - 08/05/06 09:03 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Welcome furi! I don't know what types of products they have where you live, but if you like cake as much as I do try this recipe: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=192594&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1 It's AWESOME! Perfect for curbing those hard-to-fight cravings. And there a lot of other great recipes on this website! Many of them are not expensive at all(which will help w/your students' budget!) Also, I always try to fill up on IBS-safe foods before I go out anywhere, so I'm not tempted to eat something I'll regret later on. Hope this helps some!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#277250 - 08/05/06 09:06 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi there
well first off welcome and second, your english is fantastic!
ok so fennel tea is really good for bloating you should try that - that's the only tip for that I have at the mo but don't worry there are loads of v.knowledgable people on this site who I'm sure will reply and help you out if there is anything else you can do
temptation is hard, there's no answer to it really apart from substitutions, obviously there are some things that just don't match up to the real thing but if you look on this site there's a recipe index with loads of yummy cakes on and really you can't tell the difference
keep reading the book and you'll get loads of solutions to your problems but we're also all here for you if there's anything you don't understand or you just need some emotional support ('living room' board is especially good if you need a chat)
Hope things continue to get better for you
Godbless
Vicky
xxx

#277272 - 08/05/06 01:47 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

hi furi, and welcome. the main tip i can give is to give it time. if you're a D, the diet can seem to really quickly help your problems - gas and bloating take much more time. it wasn't until i was stable, and was able to integrate good amounts of insoluble fiber that i really got a handle on bloating. talking months. just follow the diet as best you can, take a soluble fiber supplement, and as soon as you're able, start integrating insoluble fiber. don't be scared of it.

and as for cravings, it's just a question of what you'd prefer - not eating the cake, or the pain of an ibs attack. i found this diet after months of bad attacks - i knew that i'd rather miss out on ice cream than continue to be in such pain, have my life interrupted so much. there are lots of alternatives to unsafe foods, different recipes that don't include triggers, but you've got to take the moment to think, ask yourself if the pain you *know* will follow is worth the cake or whatever. i'm pretty sure it's not.

this isn't a deprivation diet - it's making choices that don't get you sick.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#277387 - 08/06/06 05:24 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

I'm IBS-C and my bloating and gas use to be as bad as my C problem. Now the C problem is worse, but I'm to say that by taking about 4 tablespoons of acacia fiber a day, I have very limited bloating and gas (even though I sometimes seem bloated because my belly is "full"). Also, i think fennel tea is delicious and really helps when I do have a bout of bloating and gas.

I think compared to many people here, I can tolerate quite a few foods others can't. For example, I can enjoy cheesecake, but certainly not a glass of milk. Trial and error. Plus there are delicious alternative deserts you could make. Once you get use to your diet, those things won't tempt you anymore. For example, since I don't remember what ice cream tastes like, I don't even want it.

thank you to all! new
      #277524 - 08/07/06 02:36 PM
furi

Reged: 08/01/06
Loc: Germany

thanks for your encouraging tips! *hugsyouall*
I now found something like acacia tummy fiber in our
pharmacy (the parmacist laughed, he said it's used for the sticking part of stamps (the ones you first have to make wet) and jelly-like sweets) and I started using it today.
I think I'll now switch from peppermint to fennel tea and see how this works.
Also thank you for this cake recipe! maybe I find something similar here.
I tried out the zucchini bread with cinnamon from "eating for ibs" and in my opinion it also makes a good cake ;-)

Re: thank you to all! new
      #277536 - 08/07/06 04:38 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I've been on the IBS diet for about 8 months now and in regard to missing the foods I used to eat - I don't much anymore. When you eat safe foods only and then you eat something questionable and it makes you sick you really can change what you find tasty. (If a previously tasty food consistently make you sick, you're apt to not really crave it much after awhile.) That's how it's been for me anyway. Finding safe foods that you really enjoy eating can be challenging but you're on the right road with the zucchini bread.
Oh, and my other comment is to make sure that you start with small amounts of fiber and increase to the recommended dosage over time. Throwing a lot of fiber at your system can also cause bloating. I've been through a lot of different types of fiber and guar gum powder has been my best bet.
Best of luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4830 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review