All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just wanted to introduce myself...
      #277019 - 08/03/06 04:51 PM
OgreCat

Reged: 07/26/06

Hello, my name is Rusty, I am IBS-A, for probably over 8 years now. I've been lurking the boards for a while and finally decided to introduce myself and start talking to everybody (I'm shy, even on the internet). My IBS started when I was a teenager, shortly before I lost my mother to cancer. I've struggled with it off and on, and always when I seem to get the upper hand I manage to end up feeling worse in the end. I just got married, and so decided that it's finally time to make some drastic changes to my life style. Just this week I started using Acacia and ordered some fennel tea (as bloating is the bane of my existence), have recently given up caffeine and alcohol, and am gearing up for cutting dairy out. I'm really sad to be giving up dairy and changing my diet (I love food!), since I'm already vegetarian (it one more thing to live without)… but I guess its time to take control of my life.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble so….

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just wanted to introduce myself... new
      #277022 - 08/03/06 05:00 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Welcome!

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#277027 - 08/03/06 05:56 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Welcome, Rusty! You're gonna love it here! I felt the same way you do about giving up food. But I'm realizing that's it's not so bad. There are many substitutes on the market now, thanks to people like Heather, who make their voices heard in regard to the dietary needs of so many of us. So far, the only thing I can't find in my area is a substitute for feta cheese (for spanikopita-which I REALLY miss!) But there's soy/rice milk, creamer, cheeses, butter, sour cream....I've fallen in love w/Silk chocolate soy milk-it's the best, better than regular chocolate milk! And there are a lot of wonderful recipes on this site too. You'll forget that you have a restricted diet! Hope the diet works for you! I'm sorry about your mother. My mom is a cancer survivor (15 yrs), so I've been through all the yucky stuff, chemo, hairloss & all the other stuff that goes w/it. I also was young, 12, when she was diagnosed. I was the only child still living at home, so I took care of her on my own many times. I sat by her almost everyday, helping her eat & drink, getting her buckets & towels when needed, all that fun stuff that a teenager should never have to do. So even though she made it through, I can still somewhat relate to where you've been & the stress you went through. Let me know if you ever need to talk/vent/rant, whatever. And congratulations on getting married!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#277033 - 08/03/06 06:28 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Welcome to the boards! Hope you'll find some helpful info here....there's lots of people here with tons of experience. Feel free to ask questions. That's what we're here for!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#277037 - 08/03/06 07:33 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Welcome

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#277041 - 08/03/06 08:21 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Rusty!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#277078 - 08/04/06 08:15 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

welcome...the people on these boards are great. good luck x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Littlelani... about feta new
      #277094 - 08/04/06 09:32 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I haven't tried this at home yet, but I have had spanakopita in a vegetarian restaurant that used what looked like mashed silken tofu as the "cheese." It tasted like they'd marinated it in a little vinegar of some sort to give it a tang like feta.

I don't remember that meal giving me D, but of course the phyllo sheets are brushed with butter so I will have to keep that in mind.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: Littlelani... about feta new
      #277120 - 08/04/06 11:14 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

OH YEAH!! I'm gonna try that! I can use margarine instead of butter, and I have plenty of tofu on hand! THANK YOU!!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Welcome new
      #277141 - 08/04/06 12:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I'm really sad to be giving up dairy and changing my diet (I love food!), since I'm already vegetarian (it one more thing to live without)… but I guess its time to take control of my life.

My husband is also a vegetarian and I am now down to only seafood. Hubby eats all the same stuff I eat (except the seafood), buying for two diets is pretty costly, and there are so many options once you get familiar with the diet and alternative foods that neither he or myself even notice anymore how much we aren't eating. There are kinds of wonderful things in the soy/tofu world. Congrats to you for giving up alcohol. Welcome to the boards and if you have any questions, just ask.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4454 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review