All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mixed progress notes and a rough food diary (sorry, long)
      #276905 - 08/03/06 10:32 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Well, as some of you might have read, I did a bit of grocery shopping Tues of this week. I found a wealth of interesting natural food products, as well as the usual ones I've grown to like. I made notations. Basically, about every month, I try to buy a few new things to incorporate into my IBS diet routine. This time I am nearly out of money and am not sure if I'll have enough to buy groceries to cover the entire month, especially the way I have to eat - the IBS diet itself, and the fact that I have to eat at least 6 meals a day, usually more. If I go more than 2hrs w/o food, I get pretty nauseous and my blood sugar drops (and my blood sugar is actually normal), it's just that I've always eaten that way. Several small meals and snacks a day is a better way to eat than 3 large ones; better for your metabolism, stabalizing blood sugar, and as Heather has explained, so that our colons are always working on something.

This past Tues afternoon and evening were some of my best IBS hours that I can remember in 6yrs. Wed morning was a bit exciting too. Unfortunately, I got really sick for some reason later on during Wed., so sick in fact that I literally couldn't eat. I mean I couldn't even swallow, let alone chew and swallow food.

But let me go back to Tues. I spent a fortune on a small bottle of Beano tablets, generic Gas-X, Lactaid tablets (just in case), a box of Digestive Advantage for IBS, a box of Eater's Digest organic herbal tea, and an armful of my favorite soy products (Soysation slices in cheddar and a package in swiss, Silk unsweetened soy milk, Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, a few bags of Soysation shreds in Cheddar/pepper jack flavor...the store was renovating so a lot of their usual products were moved or weren't restocked yet.) I'll be back though, and hopefully I can afford to get the rest of the groceries I need/want. I bought a few other new products other than the tea and the gas meds; a can of organic soup (Wolfgang Puck's Chicken w/wild rice), Naturally Preferred brand spaghetti sauce in mushroom flavor, Spectrum spread (a butter substitute), and Nayonaise (the original not the grapeseed oil one). I have yet to try the Spectrum or the Nayonaise.

When I got home, I followed the directions on the Beano and the generic Gas-X and took a Digestive Advantage tablet (even though I still had some Zelnorm left) and had a bagel w/the Tofutti. I also brewed up some of the Eater's Digest tea. I also took the Beano before my first bite of dinner, which was chicken stuffed shells. It was a very comfortable evening/night and when I woke up Wed, I didn't have the usual stomach cramping that I always have every morning. I had some mild PMS cramping, but that was so mild I was okay with it. I'd also eaten about 8 maybe 10 plain table water crackers before I had gone to bed Tues, hoping these wouldn't hurt me as much as sesame seed table water crackers did. Luckily, they didn't seem to cause a problem. I had another bagel w/Tofutti for breakfast, some cranberry juice, and some tea with the usual meds.

Later on Wed though I just felt weird. Maybe it's b/c my doc altered my meds a bit (I'm on a lot of various meds both OTC and RX) and I always ask my doc and pharmacist about drug interactions and IBS interactions. Wed night I barely choked down a nutritional shake (Equate which is the generic equivalent to Ensure and is dairy-free), but eating bread was just too hard to swallow. I was nauseous and I wanted to gag every time I tried to put food to my mouth. I drank lots of water though with a peppermint Altoid dissolved in it. I tried taking some ginger capsules for the nausea, but they didn't work (sometimes they work for me). Even midday on Wed I couldn't eat, couldn't drink anything but water. It was freaking me out. I was about ready to call my doc or 911.

I couldn't sleep well at all last night b/c I was so sick yesterday I just laid there, unable to move and eventually fell asleep and was surprised I woke up in time for my counseling appt. I was starving. I tried to eat a tv dinner called Amy's Macaroni and Soy Cheeze, but again, I couldn't. I drank some more water, was barely able to manage a Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix Apple Cinnamon granola bar. Dinner was, as I mentioned, a can of generic Ensure and I also tried to eat some sourdough bread. I finished the drink, but only got about 3/4 of a large slice of sourdough down. I felt so nauseous and miserable. But I didn't have any gas or bloating! *rolls eyes at herself*

This morning I have a lot to do, although I slept poorly last night, I got up out of bed after waking up after 2hrs and lounged around wondering if I should try eating again. I finally decided on watery Gerber Rice Cereal w/bananas. Instead of eating it like normal, I drank it from a cup. It seemed to help. I feel a little bit better now. I took a shower and not too long ago had a bowl of oatmeal (finishing up the last of the Quaker instant maple and brown sugar) and am sipping this tea. My tummy feels fairly decent right now.

On an interesting note, it looks like my state medicaid now covers Zelnorm as a prior approval drug, only. Hopefully my doc will help me out with that, and hopefully I'll get approval.

The only thing I haven't done in a few days is taken any of the Citrucel Clear Mix. Sometimes I forget and sometimes I'm afraid that I'll have to have a BM and the bathroom will be in use and holding it in doesn't help.

Thanks for reading and for everyone's support and help.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Wow! You sure know how to shop! new
      #276947 - 08/03/06 12:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Way to go, Sommer!

Honestly, I get so afraid to try different things, however sometimes you luck out & you don't know until you try. I'm a big fan/user of Beano. Also, generic Gas-X are really soothing, especially if you have IBS-D and get that "I'm afraid to fart" feeling.

Recently, I re-started an intensive digestive enzyme product with which I have had previous success AND am positively elated. Raw leafy green salads with SF/meals actually digest! Thank goodness because salad is the only thing I sort of know how to fake-cook besides babyfood & they are so cooling in the heat.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Wow! You sure know how to shop! new
      #278101 - 08/12/06 05:25 PM
Sommer

Thanks, Kate.

Baby food is a comfort food for me, I know that might sound odd. And I think a lot of us are afraid to try new things, especially when we're so used to what we've always done (or in this case, eaten). I appreciate your support - many ppl like you on the boards have been the inspiration for me to try these new things, even though I knew I might end up wasting my money on something that doesn't work for me. There's not always a cheaper way of trying new things. Although, there are companies out there that offer samples, but sometimes you have to jump through horrible hoops and agree to purchase or sign up for programs on a trial-offer basis in order to even get to the sample. Other times, you get lucky and you can get the sample directly from the manufacturer, or possibly get printable coupons from the company's website.

--------------------

Comfort foods! new
      #278172 - 08/13/06 10:06 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

(giggle) Babyfood is "comfort food" for me too! I eat it everyday, however mine is homemade and to everyone else it masquerades as "soup." However, essentially, it is babyfood, i.e. delectable homemade pureed vegetables. Have you ever made your own? It's much healthier, infinitely cheaper and tastier too. Plus, you can be very particular. Trust me, it's hard to find babyfood organic swiss chard or babyfood asparagus! Babyfood makes delicious sauces, too!

Kate.

Re: Comfort foods! new
      #278174 - 08/13/06 10:49 AM
Sommer

*giggle* Hi Kate. Yep, actually I have thogught of making my own baby food and homemade juices. But right now all I have is a mini-chopper and and a blender. The blade in the blender isn't great, the mini-chopper blade works a bit better, but neither can handle ice. I'm not really sure where to begin from there. I'm hoping one day to have a juicer or a better food processor, as well as a knfiew sharpener, since all of our knives our currently dull. I've actually had my eye on that gadget they advertise called "The Magic Bullet", which looks like it might work for what I want. I just need more money and more room....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review