All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is Triphala a laxative ?
      #276668 - 08/01/06 07:49 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

I started taking these enzymes today, but then I started to worry about the Triphala in it. Does Triphala acts as a laxative. I really don't want to be taking laxatives everyday. Laxatives always give me cramps to have a BM and I don't want or need anymore of that. I have enough pain as it is. Do you think this is still a good enzyme for me to take everyday without having a laxative effect on me???
www.mrm-usa.com/proddetail.php?prod=31013-0

Maybe somebody else has experience with Triphala and can also help me on this issue. Please !

I don't think I will take it anymore until I know more about it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Triphala a laxative ? new
      #276676 - 08/01/06 09:45 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

triphala isn't a laxative but a comdo of toning fruits used in ayurvedic medicine to tone the intestinal contractions, so if your body needs it to increase peristalsis it will, and if not, it shouldn't, instead making it contract less. It should act as a peristalsis regulator. But see how it goes since we are all so different

Re: Is Triphala a laxative ? new
      #278080 - 08/12/06 08:23 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is triphala safe for long term use? Over years? Or not.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Anyone know? new
      #278253 - 08/14/06 10:11 AM
Jordy

I've seen triphala supplements and I want to try them if they are safe....unlike senna. I read different views on this. I do not want to take a laxative.

--------------------

Hi Abigail new
      #278484 - 08/15/06 07:35 PM
Jordy

I was wondering if you have asked your doctor if triphala is safe to take every day for a long time. Did you end up taking it?

I also see where you have asked about slippery elm. Has that helped you at all?

Have you tried a fiber supplement?

Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Hi Jordy... new
      #278490 - 08/15/06 08:01 PM
Abigail

Hello Jordy,

No, I didn't ask my doc about triphala yet b/c I been going thru some testing. I have to more test tomorrow. I will go back to see my doc as soon as he get the results of all the tests. Depending on the results, I might ask him about it. I should also ask my Naturopath doc about it. I see him again in a month after he gets my GI panel(stool & saliva) tests back. I'm planning on calling to make an appt with the allergists doc. I want to know about any food allergies I might have.

Yes, I been using slippery elm for a while and I think it helps me with C, but the bloating is still driving me crazy. I might have one or two good days a week, but most of the time I'm bloated feeling some kind of pain.

No, I'm not taking any fiber supplement now, I been using flax seed to increase my daily fiber and to help me with C.

What about you? Are you IBS-C?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Oh yeah! new
      #278544 - 08/16/06 10:17 AM
Jordy

I'm definitely big time C...with lovely bloat, pain, cramps, and glorious gas! I can't find anything to help with the bloat/gas. Not even fennel or avoiding gassy foods or beano or digestive enzymes have helped.

Please let us know what your doctor and naturopath say about the safety of long term triphala use, if you ask them.

I don't take an SFS, but have tried numerous ones in the past. I didn't do well with any of them. The only one I haven't tried yet is Acacia. Oh, I do take a T of ground flax but that doesn't seem to help either. Prunes just make me worse, I think.

How much slippery elm and flax do you take? Do you eat a lot if IF or SF? I would love to correct this with diet and not supplements or meds.

Good luck with the tests! I hope they find something to help you!

--------------------

Have you ever tried a fiber supplement? new
      #278729 - 08/17/06 07:42 AM
Jordy

Is there a reason you haven't used one? Have you had bad experiences with them?

What brand flax seed do you use? Is it okay to buy the pre ground meal or is it necessary to get the whole seed and grind them yourselves? How much do you take a day? I take 1 T of flax meal ground in my cereal...but that's it. I worry about the fat grams.

--------------------

Re: Have you ever tried a fiber supplement? new
      #278806 - 08/17/06 01:09 PM
Abigail

Yes, years ago I started taking Benefiber and I got choric C for months. Really bad experience :-(

I usually use 2tsp whole flax seeds soaked in an 8oz of water overnight and then I eat them with my cereal.
I ground them at home sometime. I'm underweight so I don't really worry about the fat grams. Plus is good fat, it won't make fat.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Have you ever tried a fiber supplement? new
      #278812 - 08/17/06 01:35 PM
Jordy

Only 2 tsp?

I'm not worried about it making me fat....more that fat is so hard for IBSers to process.

You could always try a different fiber supplement if you aren't happy with your BM situation!

What kind of cereal do you like? I'm bored with mine!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 684 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review