All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is Triphala a laxative ?
      #276668 - 08/01/06 07:49 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

I started taking these enzymes today, but then I started to worry about the Triphala in it. Does Triphala acts as a laxative. I really don't want to be taking laxatives everyday. Laxatives always give me cramps to have a BM and I don't want or need anymore of that. I have enough pain as it is. Do you think this is still a good enzyme for me to take everyday without having a laxative effect on me???
www.mrm-usa.com/proddetail.php?prod=31013-0

Maybe somebody else has experience with Triphala and can also help me on this issue. Please !

I don't think I will take it anymore until I know more about it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Triphala a laxative ? new
      #276676 - 08/01/06 09:45 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

triphala isn't a laxative but a comdo of toning fruits used in ayurvedic medicine to tone the intestinal contractions, so if your body needs it to increase peristalsis it will, and if not, it shouldn't, instead making it contract less. It should act as a peristalsis regulator. But see how it goes since we are all so different

Re: Is Triphala a laxative ? new
      #278080 - 08/12/06 08:23 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is triphala safe for long term use? Over years? Or not.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Anyone know? new
      #278253 - 08/14/06 10:11 AM
Jordy

I've seen triphala supplements and I want to try them if they are safe....unlike senna. I read different views on this. I do not want to take a laxative.

--------------------

Hi Abigail new
      #278484 - 08/15/06 07:35 PM
Jordy

I was wondering if you have asked your doctor if triphala is safe to take every day for a long time. Did you end up taking it?

I also see where you have asked about slippery elm. Has that helped you at all?

Have you tried a fiber supplement?

Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Hi Jordy... new
      #278490 - 08/15/06 08:01 PM
Abigail

Hello Jordy,

No, I didn't ask my doc about triphala yet b/c I been going thru some testing. I have to more test tomorrow. I will go back to see my doc as soon as he get the results of all the tests. Depending on the results, I might ask him about it. I should also ask my Naturopath doc about it. I see him again in a month after he gets my GI panel(stool & saliva) tests back. I'm planning on calling to make an appt with the allergists doc. I want to know about any food allergies I might have.

Yes, I been using slippery elm for a while and I think it helps me with C, but the bloating is still driving me crazy. I might have one or two good days a week, but most of the time I'm bloated feeling some kind of pain.

No, I'm not taking any fiber supplement now, I been using flax seed to increase my daily fiber and to help me with C.

What about you? Are you IBS-C?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Oh yeah! new
      #278544 - 08/16/06 10:17 AM
Jordy

I'm definitely big time C...with lovely bloat, pain, cramps, and glorious gas! I can't find anything to help with the bloat/gas. Not even fennel or avoiding gassy foods or beano or digestive enzymes have helped.

Please let us know what your doctor and naturopath say about the safety of long term triphala use, if you ask them.

I don't take an SFS, but have tried numerous ones in the past. I didn't do well with any of them. The only one I haven't tried yet is Acacia. Oh, I do take a T of ground flax but that doesn't seem to help either. Prunes just make me worse, I think.

How much slippery elm and flax do you take? Do you eat a lot if IF or SF? I would love to correct this with diet and not supplements or meds.

Good luck with the tests! I hope they find something to help you!

--------------------

Have you ever tried a fiber supplement? new
      #278729 - 08/17/06 07:42 AM
Jordy

Is there a reason you haven't used one? Have you had bad experiences with them?

What brand flax seed do you use? Is it okay to buy the pre ground meal or is it necessary to get the whole seed and grind them yourselves? How much do you take a day? I take 1 T of flax meal ground in my cereal...but that's it. I worry about the fat grams.

--------------------

Re: Have you ever tried a fiber supplement? new
      #278806 - 08/17/06 01:09 PM
Abigail

Yes, years ago I started taking Benefiber and I got choric C for months. Really bad experience :-(

I usually use 2tsp whole flax seeds soaked in an 8oz of water overnight and then I eat them with my cereal.
I ground them at home sometime. I'm underweight so I don't really worry about the fat grams. Plus is good fat, it won't make fat.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#278812 - 08/17/06 01:35 PM
Jordy

Only 2 tsp?

I'm not worried about it making me fat....more that fat is so hard for IBSers to process.

You could always try a different fiber supplement if you aren't happy with your BM situation!

What kind of cereal do you like? I'm bored with mine!

--------------------

#278819 - 08/17/06 01:51 PM
Abigail

My main issues are incomplete evacuation, pain, cramps and bloating.

What fiber supplement do you use?

I eat Fiber One cereal b/c it has the most IF. I also eat Oat bran pancakes, papaya, pineapple and mango for breakfast.

I'm going to start taking Beano for gas and bloating. Have you tried Beano?

Still having cramps and pain since I took that Barium yesterday :-( Is that normal? Should I expect to feel better tomorrow?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Fiber One Cereal new
      #278896 - 08/18/06 06:58 AM
Jordy

That is very IF! Especially first thing on an empty tummy. Yikes. This may be contributing to your pain, cramps, and bloating. Plus, it contains artificial sweetener.

I take beano, but it doesn't seem to help me, like it has the others. I hope it helps you, Abi.

I don't currently use an SFS. I've tried lots of them, but they all have caused me gas and bloating. I don't know if I should keep trying or not. I think I've tried almost all of them except Acacia. I'm scared to try anything new. None, I mean none, have been more helpful than hurtful. I would think someone with chronic constipation would need to take a supplement....don't you?

I think it's perfectly normal to still be feeling the effects of the barium. It takes a while to get out of your system....but every day, it gets better.

Didn't you have a sitz marker test too? How did that come out?

--------------------

Re: Fiber One Cereal new
      #279119 - 08/20/06 08:44 AM
Jordy

Do any other C people eat this type of high fiber cereal for breakfast? I thought this was a bad idea.

Maybe it's worth a try though???

--------------------

#279149 - 08/20/06 11:10 AM
Abigail

If I could find a cereal high in IF(14g), but that has no wheat, I would love to try it. I need that much fiber in the morning with my flax seeds to help me go. Do any of you know about a high IF cereal with no wheat free?

--------------------

#279167 - 08/20/06 12:46 PM
Jordy

I don't think we are suppose to have this high amount of IF, though. I'm confused.

I did see this in the store web page It's weird, because it says 9 grams soluble fiber....but amaranth is an IF fiber, so it could be a typo???

--------------------

bump about high fiber cereals, etc.-nt new
      #279506 - 08/22/06 12:24 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Abigail new
      #282643 - 09/17/06 08:14 AM
Jordy

Could you post a sample diet that you may eat? Are you eating SF before IF or are you concentrating on straight IF mostly?

How do you keep things "running" without using a SFS or Miralax or laxatives? I would love to be able to take care of the C with diet. Do you take any supplements besides your magnesium?

Thanks so much! I'm hurting and I can't go. I think I might just try to eat high IF and not concentrate on the SF so much...since it doesn't seem to be working for me.

--------------------

Re: Jordy new
      #282666 - 09/17/06 11:46 AM
Abigail

Hi Jordy,

Sorry you aren't feeling well, hope this helps you...
By breakfast is:
Fiber One cereals with 2 tblsp of flax seeds(whole and soaked overnight with 3 prunes)and rice milk. I also eat the prunes with that. I eat a little bit of fruits like mango, pineapple and papaya. I make me a very small Oat bran pancake and I melt a slice of cheese on top. I drink
a little papaya juice to take my supplements with. I drink a cup of peppermint tea and then lots of water.

I only snack on something like grapes, hempseeds organic bar with seeds like sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Dry papaya
fruit.

My dinner is:
A bowl of lentil soup with some melted cheese on top.
A plate of brown rice with beans(like red, pink, kidney, pinto, haba and I'm going to try black beans soon)a little lettuce and alfafa and baked/broil fish.
I eat some papaya/pineapple for dessert.
Drink some papaya juice to take my supplements with and then a cup of peppermint tea.
I wait about 45 min and then I drink lots of water while I'm on the treadmill for about 1 hour. That helps me so much after I eat.

I forgot to mention that I also drink lots of water as soon as I wake up in the morning to get my bowels moving.

For the past couple weeks or so I tried to add some more SF foods to my diet and I got C and hard stool right away. There was a day that I wasn't even able to eat nothing but breakfast b/c the pain cramps was too much. I even had to drink some MOM to help me the next morning. I don't know why SF isn't good for me, but I know it works for others.

Last night I started taking the Magnesium Calm, 1 tsp with a hot cup of water, like a tea and this morning went more than usual. I don't if it's just a coincidence, but I will keep trying it. I know it works really well for Lisa Marie.

I need to say that I'm not really stable as others, but to keep me going without having to take meds to have a BM, I need to eat this way.

Maybe you should try to eat more IF and little less SF see how you feel.

I will pray for you. You can email me if you like.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Abigail new
      #282670 - 09/17/06 12:15 PM
saeRN

Reged: 09/17/06

I have had IBS since I was 13 and I am now 52 yrs. old! Miserable! Has anyone tried a laxative that does not kill you? I am so constipated. Maybe go once per week or 2. I've yet to find any food that will make me go. I can eat a bag of prunes and it won't affect me. I am so constipated that I am afraid to start and fiber that will block me up more. Any suggestions on a gentle laxative for IBS sufferers? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Saern new
      #282673 - 09/17/06 12:39 PM
Abigail

The only laxative that I take when need is Milk of Magnesium. My doctor said is safe for long term use, it won't kill you.

Last night I just started taking Magnesium Calm(Mag. citrate)powder and went this morning more than usual, you should try it.

I don't take any fiber supplement b/c they always block me up more.

Did you have all the test necessary to rule out any pelvic organ dysfunctions or colonic inertia? Try this website www.constipation.net/Articles.html?
It has great info about chronic C.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Abigail new
      #282675 - 09/17/06 12:46 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried taking a fibre supplement like Acacia, Benefibre, or Fibresmart to help you go more than once or twice a week?

Hi Abi! new
      #282676 - 09/17/06 12:49 PM
Jordy

Thanks for taking the time to type this out. I'm a bit confused about a few of the things, though. When you say you have prunes in the flax seed and also with the cereal...do you mean you eat a total of 6 prunes? Or just the 3? What brand and size? Mini dry?

Do you eat lunch? Or just snack?

For dinner, do you eat Amy's lentil soup? You eat that and then eat more beans with the fish and rice? Do you eat any veggies?

Thank you again. This is so hard.

--------------------

I have to take Miralax new
      #282677 - 09/17/06 12:53 PM
Jordy

A prescription laxative that is suppose to be safe for long term use. I sure hope so. It doesn't seem to be working as well for me lately, though. In the beginning...I thought I had found the miracle for my C.

I worry that fiber supplements are increasing my C too....clogging me up more even though I drink as much as possible.

You are not alone.

--------------------

Re: Hi Jordy new
      #282724 - 09/17/06 08:04 PM
Abigail

Jordy, I eat 3 prunes, the dry bigger ones, with my cereal and flax seeds. I aslo take flax seed oil, probiotics, Ester-C and vitamin B complex.

I don't eat lunch b/c I eat a late breakfast. I only snack at lunch time.

I buy my lentil soup at the Whole Food store, but they aren't Amy's. They are organic and low in sodium(can't remember the name). I always eat the soup first and then my rice, beans and fish dinner. I also eat some steam vegetables like green beans and carrots.

I hope this helps, always here to help any way I can.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#282790 - 09/18/06 08:23 AM
Jordy

Thanks Abi!
Do you eat this same meal everyday? I tend to eat the same things over and over.

How much flax oil do you take? You take the actual liquid form and not the capsules? I bought some flax oil (liquid) but the amount of fat scares me.

Ester C? I know vitamin C supplements can be hard on the tummy. Do they help your c? And what does Ester mean?

I think you need to start eating something more substantial for lunch, girl! You post about being too thin...and I'm worried about you. If you don't eat lunch...I hope you are snacking a lot!!!

Do you find that breads constipate you more? I usually have a sandwhich for lunch and I'm suspecting my body doesn't like all that bread. I think I'm just grasping at straws with my ideas by now, though.

BTW, any decisions on possibility of surgery? Have you made any decisions yet?

Blessings backatcha!

--------------------

#282886 - 09/18/06 01:33 PM
Abigail

Jordy, I do try to eat the same everyday.

I take 2 tsp of flax seed oil with my meals. I like the liquid better than the caps.

Ester C is a form of vitamin C easier on your GI system. It works great for me, I can't take regular vitamin C.

I usually finish eating breakfast at 11am, so I'm still full at lunch time. I do try to snack as much as I can, it depends on how I feel.

Bread (flour) always make C worst for me so I try to avoid it, even pasta :-(

Still have to go see another colon surgeon on Wed. for a second opinion for my rectal prolapse. And then I go to see the Urogynecology doc on the 26 for more info about my enterocele. I will keep you guys posted.

Last night was my second night taking 1 tsp of Mag Calm and I been going a lot more in the morning. It was very loose today, but not watery. I like going more, but if my stool gets too loose I get pain also. I don't know if it's just a coincidence b/c I started eating more IF since my hard was getting hard last week. I also increase my flax seeds in the morning so I have to be careful. It's very hard to find the right balance, but I have to keep trying.

How about you? How are you feeling? Is C any better? Are you still taking the Mag. Calm?

I will pray for you in my daily prayers.

God bless you and guide you,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Abi...a oouple of suggestions new
      #282914 - 09/18/06 04:09 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Abi,

I'm a creature of habit too...if I find something that works I eat it a lot. But I do know that sometimes it helps to get some variety. Otherwise your system will adjust to what you're eating...it might not be as effective if you eat it every day. I would try adding a little variety in. Maybe try a different dinner once during the week or something. Sometimes your system needs something different to give it a little kick. Just a thought.

One other thing, how come you eat breakfast so late? I have to eat breakfast right away early (6 am) in the morning. It's what gets my system going. Something else you could try.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282949 - 09/18/06 07:22 PM
Abigail

Jordy, I also forgot to tell you that I take 2 "Digest Gold" enzymes caps before each meal and I eat avocado with my dinner.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Abi, did you see this new
      #283019 - 09/19/06 09:14 AM
Jordy

It was posted on another board. I thought of you and your prunes and high fiber bran cereal. web page Astrochick is stable for a while now after being C.

Maybe you could try to lay low on the bran and dry fruits an and concentrate more on veggies and fruits for IF as people seem to tolerated them better?

I'm just grasping at ideas here. I know you have lots of pain and cramping and I think it may be due to all the high IF you eat, especially without an SF beforehand.

Not critisizing....Lord knows I'm still having tons of pain, cramps, constipation and bloating. I don't know the answer for any of this. Just had this thought for you.

Take care....I'm super C today. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go the whole wheat noodles, breads, and cereals myself. But then, I fear there will be pain.

--------------------

Did we ever come to a decision about the triphala? new
      #283020 - 09/19/06 09:17 AM
Jordy

I don't want to take it if it's going to cause dependence or damage.

Can anyone help? I know Dr. Weil recommends this...but I don't know if he would suggest it for long term and my doctor knows nothing about "supplements".

Thanks

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3414 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review