All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions re: food
      #276324 - 07/30/06 02:17 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Hi Heather, I am using a neighbors computer and have logged in to ask you a few questions. I have read the information re: the different foods that are good for me and the ones that are not so good. I have had this problem with IBS for several years now, with no help coming my way. You mentioned some cereals that were ok to eat, but are they to be eaten dry? If dairy foods are a no/no what can I put on them to help the dry cereal go down better. Can I use soy milk or take a lactaid pill before I use the milk? Also no oleo, margarine, mayonnaise etc. Does the lactaid pill help with these foods too? If not, what is allowable to make a sandwich with and do we have to eat our toast dry? It is all quite confusing to me and hopefully maybe you can give me a clear view of what I can eat and not eat. What recipes using egg white are available. I would like to get your book, but am on a limited income so don't know if I can do that. Is there any information you can send me to make me understand this a little better.
Thanks, Marilla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Marilla new
      #276355 - 07/30/06 07:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Generally speaking, you should avoid dairy products for more reasons than just the lactose... so no, taking a Lactaid will not make dairy and other trigger foods "acceptable" to eat.

Soy or rice milk can be used on cereal. Fat-free mayonnaise is good for sandwiches, as is mustard. Toast is good with all-fruit jam, or a non-dairy reduced-fat margarine like Smart Balance Light.

There are dozens upon dozens of recipes available, but you have to be willing to do a little searching for them - there's too many for any of us to list. This is a good place to start - there's links to some of Heather's recipes, as well as our recipe board index, if you scroll down the page.

Good luck!

Re: Hi Marilla new
      #277241 - 08/05/06 08:08 AM
Springtime09

Hi atomic rose, Thanks for the info on Soy & Rice milk. I have also been looking into the recipe file and have printed out several that sound good. I found one with crab meat that looks delicious. Do you know if crab meat can be eaten a lot? I love it and would love to have it a couple of times a week. Also I found some recipes for chicken and turkey. So I'm all set for this week anyway. I also saw that sourdough bread was good. When I went to the store I picked up some Italian/Sourdough bread. When I got home, I read online that it should have been French/Sourdough instead. Do you know if there is a big difference between the two? Nice talking to you and hope you have a great weekend...
Marilla

#277270 - 08/05/06 01:41 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

italian and french bread are basically the same. the exact variety doesn't matter, just that it's white bread rather than whole grain. (and that there are no triggers, like milk, in the ingredients.) i'd make sure to read through the information on the website a few times till you're totally clear on it. it can take a while to integrate & understand all the rules, but 99% of the information you'll need is there as long as you take your time. it's a lot of new thinking, but with a little time it'll be second nature.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#277271 - 08/05/06 01:42 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hi, Marilla--

French, Italian, and Sourdough are actually 3 different types of bread--all delicious!

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#277275 - 08/05/06 02:03 PM
Springtime09

Hi Gaias Song, Thanks for answering my question re: the difference in breads. Yes, they are delicious and I'm glad I can use any of them. I'm sure it will get easier as I go along with this new diet. Thanks again and have a great day!!
Marilla

#277276 - 08/05/06 02:11 PM
Springtime09

Hi jamie g, Just wanted to tell you I love your kitty. What is it's name? I have always had cats too, but can't have one where I'm living now. I miss them they are so much company and so loving too.
Marilla

#277280 - 08/05/06 02:23 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

thanks, marilla. the kitten's meg. she's a little over a year old.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#277292 - 08/05/06 04:23 PM
Springtime09

Hi jaime, Thats a coincidence because I had a kitten named Meg when I was in high school. She was a yellow tabby and she was the sweetest little thing.

Do you ever watch the English programs on TV every Saturday and Sunday nights? I especially like "As Time Goes By" which is my favorite and I also enjoy "Keeping Up Appearences" Here they start at 7 p.m. after "This Old House" which is good too. I also like "Extreme Makeover" about the houses they replace for the people who need help.

I finished writing my third novel in March and was told it would be published in the fall. Can't wait to see it in print online. If you are interested or know anyone who likes to read, let me know and I can tell them the website to find them on. Nice talking to you...
Marilla

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review