All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C & Nausea, anxiety - AD drugs that don't make things worse?
      #276209 - 07/29/06 01:58 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

I've read a lot of posts on AD drugs and how many of you benefit from them.

I have IBS-C & nausea. Anxiety also triggers the nausea or makes it worse.

Lately I've become progressively unable to function well due to increased anxiety/stress in my life. I just had to cancel a work-related errand that would take me 45 minutes away 'cause I was feeling really sick. As soon as I canceled, of course I felt better. SO FRUSTRATING & stupid. I feel foolish now.

I talked to my therapist last night about taking AD drugs to "take the edge off" of the anxiety and hopefully cut down on the anxiety-induced nausea. She said it was a definite option for me.

My concern: For those of you who have IBS-C & nausea, are there AD drugs that just make this worse? Dealing with constipation as a side-effect of the drugs isnt' a huge concern (although that too provokes nausea at times), but anything that could add to the nausea is of HUGE deal to me.

I know all people react differently, but some general idea to direct my Dr. would be great.

Thanks!

~ Emily

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C & Nausea, anxiety - AD drugs that don't make things worse? new
      #276212 - 07/29/06 02:31 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i have the same 3 main symtoms as you do and was on zoloft for about 10 years with good success. I then went off for 2 years to try and do the natural approach and have recently decided to go back to AD's, i am now trying out cipralex which is the Canadian version of lexapro and so far it hasn't made me any more nauseous or anxious, only on day 3 of the 10mg dose, so we will see how it goes.
I would say give it a try if you have tried methods so far that haven't worked. My Dr put me on them when i was 14 since we had exhausted all other options.
There is also the hypno and loads of ginger tea to help, but sometimes they don't help enough.

#276213 - 07/29/06 02:48 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hi Miso,

Thanks so much for your reply. Good to know that you've seen good results with the AD drugs. I'm not a pharmaceutical fan, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything on a short-term basis.

I have been doing the hypno for a while (I think I'm on day 45 or so). At first, I noticed a large difference. Even in my sleep habits (which therefore affect the IBS symptoms).

However, with further stress in my life, I've not seen as dramatic results with hypno as I did before. The nausea actually gets in the way of doing the hypno too. So I'm looking for a little "something extra" to add to the treatment mix I think.

I also buy Altoids by the barrel, so the peppermint solution is a big help for me. Ginger I don't really like...

Thanks again for responding!

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#276217 - 07/29/06 03:31 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

for the panic you can try buying a supplement called l-theanine, make sure the active ingredient is Suntheanine as it is the documented one. L-theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that helps with anxiety and panic attacks, you can also try 5-htp which helps with anxiety and depression but it made me nauseous and tired so i stopped taking it, but others i know have had great results with it. Those are the main alternative ideas to avoid meds. I suggest these based on my experiences working in the health food store that i work in and all of the suggestions from my supposrtive fellow staff members and research that i have found. Good luck, and if you want i will keep you posted about how things go these next few weeks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review