All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ensure drinks
      #275908 - 07/27/06 01:15 PM
cjh

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I've been having a full-fledged IBS attack for the past 2 months and can't seem to calm down for any length of time; too much stress. My son's cancer recurrence is foremost on my mind. He's married, so I have absolutely no control in anything with limited access and knowledge, and am trying to avoid more confrontations with his controlling wife. I've been subsisting on crackers lately and some rice. I've also been drinking Ensure brand drinks - always the vanilla and chocolate (I mix them together). I've read the posts on here that say these contain dairy. I've read and reread the ingredients and I see no reference to dairy anywhere. Can someone tell me what I'm missing? If my IBS is this bad now, what will it be like once they decide to start treatments again and I'm running back and forth to the hospital everyday? I need help. I have the hypno tapes and they help, but only so much for so long. Any other ideas?

--------------------
I AM WOMAN. I AM INVICIBLE. I'M TIRED.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ensure drinks new
      #275929 - 07/27/06 03:13 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Whey and maybe also calcium casseinate? You can make a drink using a soy or veg based protein powder from the health food store - I use Gary Null's "Muscle" though I don't have much of those! I blend it with soy milk and bananas. 2 months is a really long time, I'm so sorry you're suffering. I hope you've seen a doc. recently.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#275960 - 07/27/06 06:42 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I highly recommend that you get a safe protein supplement (soy, rice, pea, hemp, etc.) from a Health food store. The fat content alone would give me D attacks, not to mention nausea & vomitting.

I believe that Ensure has whey ingredients or casein, but I'm not sure.

Kate, IBS-D.

#275963 - 07/27/06 06:49 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

cjh, here is an excellent list of dairy-derived ingredients you might find in foods:

http://www.godairyfree.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=217&Itemid=31

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#275965 - 07/27/06 07:04 PM
cjh

What a great list! Thank you so much. My husband is also lactose intolerant, so this will help tremendously.

--------------------

#275968 - 07/27/06 07:13 PM
cjh

Thanks, Hawkeye. Seen the doctor and wasn't concerned at all - especially after she found out about my son. I refuse to take medication (tried a few and they did more harm than good, especially with side effects). All she did was tell me to make sure I got enough fiber! When I tried to explain why I should not eat fiber, I got 'the look'. One day when I get PO'd enough, I'll buy Heather's book and give it to her. I just ordered Heather's peppermint caps; hope they help with the extra enteric coating because other ones make me even sicker.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------

#275971 - 07/27/06 07:28 PM
cjh

You're the second person to recommend a powdered protein supplement. I buy the Rice Milk for home and recently started buying the chocolate (hate vanilla), but I don't like the taste at all. I'm out of quite a few things, so guess a trip to Whole Foods is in order this weekend. I'm sure to find that protein supplement there. Guess I'll get the Rice derivative to go with the rice milk. Any ideas for making it taste better?

And to show you how bad I've been, I just checked the ingredients again on the Ensure drink (and I swear I did not see this last night); listed right on the label - milk protein isolate. I know my eyes have gotten a whole lot worse in the last 6 months and my mind is fuzzy alot, but guess there's no denying it now!

Thanks for your help.

--------------------

Protein Powders new
      #275976 - 07/27/06 08:31 PM
Wind

Definitely check out some protein powders, a.s.a.p. Rice protein powder is available and tastes pretty good too. There are assorted flavours, including chocolate!

In my experience, most protein powders actually taste better made with water versus fake milk. However, you be the judge. Many like fruit blended with the powder. Bananas tend to make protein shakes taste richer & thicker & creamier. Berries are delicious (and very safe when blended). Try peaches, mango, etc. Frozen fruit tends to work better than fresh. The protein shakes also taste great without the addition of fruit. You might like them with a little chocolate syrup, perhaps?

You can even get plain powders to add to more savory foods which taste undetectable/neutral. Personally I prefer these.

Best wishes for the speedy return of strength and energy.

Kate, IBS-D.

Why shouldn't you eat fiber? new
      #275977 - 07/27/06 08:35 PM
Wind

I always thought that fiber was a key part of Heather's recommendations. The diet itself focuses on SF and safely incorporating IF as well. Both are necessary for general health. I'd follow your physician's advice. SF is essential for managing IBS-D.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Why shouldn't you eat fiber? new
      #276032 - 07/28/06 07:39 AM
cjh

Sorry, should have specified. When the doctor talks about fiber, she refers to ALL fiber, insoluble & soluble, of which this is no difference to her. Should eat plenty of wheat - to which I think I'm allergic. That's why I scoffed at her. She doesn't know what she's talking about, so I shut down rather than try to explain something to an old-school doc who thinks she keeps up on things. I know about SF and actually have Heather's Acacia. I used to use Metamucil-but somehow that never worked for me. BTW - I'm C, not D.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3881 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review