All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausea and upset stomach
      #275624 - 07/25/06 12:44 PM
chica77

Reged: 07/25/06

Hello!

I started feeling the syptoms of IBS about a year and a half ago when I went through a divorce and stressful situations, but it was somewhat manageable...I would be constipated, and every now and then deal with the awful cramps and hot sweats from not being able to go to the restroom. However, recently it is getting worse...i started noticing it more at night. I would go out to dinner and if something did not suit my stomach than I would have to run to the bathroom in pain until I was able to let the diarrea out. So, my doctor said it sounded like IBS. I bought Heather's books and have started on the soluble fiber diet, eating oatmeal for breakfast with some papaya, taking metamucil pills during the day...However, I continue to feel nauseaus and gassy all day long....I don't have bathroom urgencies which I think means I am more constipated than diarrea prone, but it seems to fluctuate. The cramping is gone, but my stomach rumbles and is upset most of the day. I now have a regulr bowel movement every morning when I wake up, but always feel like I could go more and can't until the next morning. By the evening, the symptoms get worse. So it is tough to eat dinner. I am losing weight and don't want to since I am already a thin person. So I am left with the gassy and nauseus feeling. Does this go away? Does anyone have a diet suggestion that can help? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea and upset stomach new
      #275625 - 07/25/06 12:55 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

Pretzels. Either small regular ones or the sticks. I prefer the sticks. They are my only solution. I am also IBS-C, moderately A (Constipation with alternating Diarrhea). Obviously it would seem that the refined flour in the pretzels would be the last thing that you would want when you are already suffering from C, but the pretzels have been the only thing to settle my tummy when I have 'the gurgles' and or nausea. Don't eat a lot of them, just enough to fit into your hand if you cup it. And be sure you are drinking at least 64 oz. of water per day. If you can get 80 - 96 into you, that's even better for C. Also, try incorporating an apple once a day. Not the whole thing at once; just a couple of slices. Eat it very slowly in small pieces. I used to not be able to tolerate apple. My gurgles would be worse and then I would alternate to the D immediately But I am to a point now where I can incorporate a little bit of fruit at a time throughout the day and it helps very much with the C. In fact, I rarely have D at all any more, or bad gurgles, cramps, etc. and am trying to incorporate more and more IF (insoluble fiber) into my diet. IF is VERY important for us C'ers. IF and water. Just finding the balance can be tricky.

Don't give up!!!

#275627 - 07/25/06 12:59 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Have you completely eliminated all of the triggers? (ex dairy, high fat, etc) from your diet? I had really bad cramps and gas pain before and when I first started the diet. I am IBS-A and flucuate between D&C. The gas and pains have gotten better so there is hope. It could be the SFS you are taking (Metamucil) alot of IBS'ers, myself included, have found it to be one of the hardest SFS to tolerate. Some herbal tea might help soothe your tummy as well, have you tried fennel or peppermint? Hope this helps and you feel better soon, keep us posted!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#275628 - 07/25/06 01:04 PM
chica77

Reged: 07/25/06

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will stop the metamucil and try Citrucel instead. I have eliminated all the triggers so far. Also, I find I am starving most of the day, but afraid to eat because I do not want to feel sick. Have you tried the Acacia fiber?

#275634 - 07/25/06 01:35 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hi, Chica--

I'm not a doctor, but nausea that won't go away + weight loss are symptoms of concern that really need a doctor's intervention. You might have something "more serious" than IBS. Heather has a page here on her site that talks more about the conditions that can mimic IBS:

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp

That said, I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#275670 - 07/25/06 08:30 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am taking Benefiber at the moment. I have not tried Acacia but I really want to because I have heard nothing but good reviews from the site. It is a hard cycle to break, afraid to eat because it will make you sick, but not eating will make you sick. Having an empty stomach is a trigger as well. Try snacking throughout the day so that your stomach isn't empty. The only meal I tend to eat is dinner, besides that I just snack and graze all day long.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review